Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannymccormick)
    They are, and always will be ... greatly irresponsible. I am extremely mature for my age, but even I know that I'm not quite mature enough for a child. It's not just about teen pregnancies though; even a pair of rich 35 year olds who have no brain cells to rub together are irresponsible for having a kid. You need to be able to teach your child the way of the world: to be strong, analytical, non-conforming. That's my view anyway. I'd love to teach my kid the very best of literature, films, music, introducing them to the very best stimuli so that they gain a wider perspective on life and how to behave properly. I know that at the moment I'm not yet knowledgeable, wise and patient enough for that.

On the other hand, these reproduction-addicts are what keeps the world going round. XD
    With regards to your point that I have highlighted, what are your views on disabled people having children?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollapalooza)
    With regards to your point that I have highlighted, what are your views on disabled people having children?

I don't see a problem with it at all. Again, the main criteria for me is that the person has the appropriate level of prudence to care for a child, and make the right decisions for them. I have no reason to believe that a person in a wheelchair for example is at more of a disadvantage than a non-disabled person. But then these are just my views. They're neither right nor wrong, because it can be argued that right and wrong does not even exist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)
    Right, so my mate (17) has just had a beautiful baby daughter. I have no clue how her educations gone because she moved away (she was brought up in social care) and only returned when she knew about the baby.

The father is staying with her (he completely dotes that child as well) so she's not a single mother- and he's a couple of years older and did have a job, unfortunately he can't get one right now due to the lack of work permits being given out, but they are still looking.

When I heard about the baby, and saw it yesterday, it never once crossed my mind that this might be considered stupid by some people. So how do you see underage parents? And why do you think there is an age limit on when a woman should have a child?
    I really think teenage mums are misguided/being irresponsible. They should wait til they finish their education/do what they want to do in life before settling down with a kid. And it's probably a good idea to be in stable relationship/marriage before having the kid for not only the mum's sake but also the kid's.

I say all this because I just found out of my high school friends is pregnant, and I'm shocked!!! No matter what she says, her life won't be the same!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: So no, having a child at such a young age of 17 is unwise. Having a child at 19 is probably not a good idea either.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's completely unfair to judge parents because they are young. Adults have accidental pregnancies all the time. It's no more stupid when you are a teenager, just more unfortunate. I don't see why it's so hard for people to have a bit of empathy for their situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollapalooza)
    What about an 18 year old sensible, mature woman in a stable relationship? Would you class her as a 'kid'? Because statistically speaking she would fall under the category of 'teenage mother'.
    I'm sorry but I don't think you can class any 18 year old as a 'woman'. Even the most mature teenagers are prone to bouts of immature behaviour. Also, how many 18 year olds are in a stable relationship of about 2 years+, have enough money to fund themselves and all the other practical elements like a car and a house etc... not many.

I do have respect for teenage mums because as someone said, it takes guts to choose to raise a child instead of having an abortion and many of them do work hard for their kids and love them etc but I still don't think it's something to aspire to because most won't be able to afford their kids the stuff that they would have been able to if they had waited and they've just made everything 10x harder for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Frankly, I respect teenage mums much more than I respect teenagers who've had abortions. It must take some balls having a kid at that age and now bowing to pressure to kill it.
    what about the implications for the child?

ReputationRep:
    I am actually definitely for teenage parenthood. Whilst I don't particularly agree with becoming a parent at 14/15 when you are still a child yourself and should be focussing on growing up, mistakes DO happen and if you're not comfortable with abortion then there's nothing you can really do. But definitely having kids at around 18/19 DOES make sense. If you're not at university, and a lot of people aren't interested in going, then bringing up a child can be a really rewarding experience. Plus, biologically it's quite nice - your body will snap back into shape a lot easier than if you had a kid at 40, plus generally babies are healthier, mothers are healthier, pregnancy has less complications, and also there's the added benefit of the relationship between baby and mother/father potentially being stronger - less of an age gap means more in common and potentially a better mutual understanding. Plus, you're less likely to die while your kids are young which must be terrible, I'd hate to lose my parents now more than anything and they are quite old. If you're 20 and have a kid, then you'll potentially live to see them be 60 by which time they should be better equipped to handle your death.

And even if you ARE interested in education or whatever, all is not lost, your life is not lost. There are options.

I think the main problem is that relationships started at 16/17 usually don't last so the kid might have less access to one of the parent figures.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    These girls are a real nusiance and a social blight. They reproduce they claim from the state for benefits and housing, then they raise kids whoa re usless and criminals.

Single mums should get no financial support from the state, every girl mshould be coiled till the age of 18. We'll see how Britians teenage pregnancy is like then.
    Have you ever had a coil? Pain!

I think that would just lead to them being pulled out by people who don't have the training to do so (not unlike backstreet abortions) if people wanted kids for 'someone to love' (as outlined in my first post).

ReputationRep:
    I know there's a big fuss about how unfair it is to the child to have a teenage mother, but if the mother can love and care for the child then there's nothing wrong with that. My boyfriend's mum had him at 17, and struggled to bring him up without much financial support when he was a baby. But she didn't want to give the baby up or have an abortion, which proves to me she really wanted a child to love.

ReputationRep:
    I know I certainly couldn't have been a teenage mum, I was was too selfish and childish to look after anyone else. I did work though, all through college and university, the financial implcations would have been covered but my maturity was nowhere near the right level. I can see both sides some teenage mothers are fantastic, they care for their babies and work really hard. Unfortunately some do not and don't really seem to take responsiblity to the pregnancy or financially supporting the child. Although you can find this with pregnat women of all ages and background.

The high level of benefits do annoy me, I think there should be a flat level that everyone is entitled to similar to the child tax credit. I am pregnant now but my partner and I work full time, we have our own house (mortgage not rent) and fully appreciate the costs involved. We know we are going to have to give up a lot to make it work and prepared to use all our savings.

I generally believe if the benefit system wasn't so great the amount of teenage pregnancies and umemployed parents would dramatically drop. It's a very difficult time for most people at the moment, it doesn't seem fair that some people are really financially struggling yet they are not entitled to any help from the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)
    Right, so my mate (17) has just had a beautiful baby daughter. I have no clue how her educations gone because she moved away (she was brought up in social care) and only returned when she knew about the baby.

The father is staying with her (he completely dotes that child as well) so she's not a single mother- and he's a couple of years older and did have a job, unfortunately he can't get one right now due to the lack of work permits being given out, but they are still looking.

When I heard about the baby, and saw it yesterday, it never once crossed my mind that this might be considered stupid by some people. So how do you see underage parents? And why do you think there is an age limit on when a woman should have a child?
    I think most people will feel that teenagers aren't mature enough to raise and look after a child, and that it's much more sensible to get an abortion at that age. Nevertheless, I admire your friend's courage, although perhaps she should use a condom in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    17 isnt that bad, one of my close mates had hers when she was 13 :O

but who am i to judge people
    Your close friend is a disgrace. She shouldn't have just considered an abortion, she should have considered ending her own life instead.

17 years old IS bad, but 13 years old is a crime. Her parents are failures, she's a failure and her child (assuming she hasn't given birth to another 3 by now) will be too.

ReputationRep:
    It's their life to waste.

ReputationRep:
    There was a girl in my year who had a baby at 14. The father didn't want to be involved, but she had the baby anyway. She's an absolutely fantastic mother. She goes to college part time now doing a catering course, so she an continue to look after the kid when she leaves home.

But there was a girl in my brother's year who had a baby at 16 and was adamant she was going to be a brilliant mum. But she had a baby boy and hated that because she couldn't make it into her 'little princess', dress it nice or anything so she didn't look after it very well at all. If I remember, she named him McKenzie because they were a skateboarding company she liked (but that might have been someone else). He still sees her in town once in a while and she's either ignoring the poor thing or screaming at him.

It comes down to the individual - if the person can deal with a child and give it the attention, love and care it deserves, and give these things properly, I have no problem with that. It they can't cope and therefore make bad parents, it begins to irk me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Your close friend is a disgrace. She shouldn't have just considered an abortion, she should have considered ending her own life instead.

17 years old IS bad, but 13 years old is a crime. Her parents are failures, she's a failure and her child (assuming she hasn't given birth to another 3 by now) will be too.
    Who the F:uck are you to tell her how to live her life,
    you have no right wat so ever making all the accusations, or decide whos life should be taken, how about you take your own sad life too.

and for your info, she only had one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.PINK)
    Who the F:uck are you to tell her how to live her life,
    you have no right wat so ever making all the accusations, or decide whos life should be taken, how about you take your own sad life too.

and for your info, she only had one.
    Good thing it's only one. At the very least that's only 4 lives she's ruined (hers, her parents and her child).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlmechanik)
    My mum got pregnant with my older brother at 16, and got married at 16...6 months pregnant and my parents are still together.

My 2 oldest friends got pregnant on pretty much the same day by accident at 17 and both are devoted mohters...one split with the dad cos he beat her and the other one is getting married in Feb.

You cant group things together because you just dont know how people are going to be as mothers. Oh and dont call all teenage mums wasters, chavs and tarts, yeah??? Mothers prefer to stay at home with the child until they can find a job that pays enough to go to nursery...not always true but mostly in my experience. Most of the ones saying "chav, tart" etc. are the type whose parents would force an abortion i think and thats sad
    oh. dear. god :eek:

ReputationRep:
    The only thing good is that the mother could be around when the child nearly goes into retiremenmt. When the 'child' is 60, the mother'll be 77 in OPs case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Good thing it's only one. At the very least that's only 4 lives she's ruined (hers, her parents and her child).
    On what have you based your sad stupid assumptions, that she ruined 4 lives?
    what if it was the best damn thing that happened for her?

I'd say I have a very biased opinion on this, considering that most teenage mothers are chav girls that completely throw theirself at the child, and to hell with everything else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.