Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Teenage mums- your opinion. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Judging by the foul language her daughter uses, she could not have been much of a positive role model.

My argument stands.
    actually my mum is a good role model, she doesnt drink, she doesnt swear, she drives safely, shes taught me respect etc.
    And it wasn;t me she gave birth to at 17, it was my brother.
    I learnt the language from my mates and the lads at college...call them all you want but dont have a pop at my family when you know nothing about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    Based on this comment and your profile you seem very smug, with a greatly inflated sense of your own importance, maturity, intellectual capacity and originality.

I'm not smug or important at all; I was just expressing a personal opinion, one that I believed to be fair. But you, you're entirely hypocritical; you've just made the same sweeping judgements about me that you seem to deplore so much in others.

Just get a grip of your life and stop trying to chew people out on forums. I expressed a mature opinion, yes. you might want to try and do the same next time and make a secure response to me that has some substance and cogency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Frankly, I respect teenage mums much more than I respect teenagers who've had abortions. It must take some balls having a kid at that age and now bowing to pressure to kill it.
    But a lot don't have a clue what they're letting themselves in for. I'm sure if you asked a lot of young mums they'd tell you that having a baby is a lot harder than they imagined.

I have a friend who's 18 and has just had a baby, she left school at 16 but got a decent job in a hospital. Her and her boyfriend have got a house together and a couple of cars and she's so happy. I totally respect her for whats she's done but I don't think I'll be thinking of having a baby anytime soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    This is wrong. Sex is pleasure, reproduction is a side-effect. At least it is now, in contemporary society. And you can bloody well use a condom if you dont want to reproduce, doesn't mean you can't have sex.
    Not that I've got a problem with doing it for the fun of it but I think some people may have forgotten what the "white stuff" is meant to do exactly :p: (to put it very bluntly).People need to remember the main point of sex is to reproduce and that the whole process is , optimised if you like to make that happen.

(Original post by sophia.maria)
    But a lot don't have a clue what they're letting themselves in for. I'm sure if you asked a lot of young mums they'd tell you that having a baby is a lot harder than they imagined.

I have a friend who's 18 and has just had a baby, she left school at 16 but got a decent job in a hospital. Her and her boyfriend have got a house together and a couple of cars and she's so happy. I totally respect her for whats she's done but I don't think I'll be thinking of having a baby anytime soon
    Same here - this is the real problem with young mothers , they have no idea of what they are getting into and have given it little forethought and planning.

ReputationRep:
    Benefit claimers.

Do you have a job? No
    Is your relationship stable? No

Lets have a child! Kids having kids? No, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Feel a bit sorry for them, I know I would definitely have an abortion if I got pregnant now.
    But I suppose it is their choice in the end, and if they can look after it properly then why not.

ReputationRep:
    I dislike the stereotype of teenage parents. It must have some basis and I have to admit I have met some people that live up to it, but still, it's all too easy to tar everyone with the same brush. I had my first baby at 19 second at 21 and would not class myself as a typical teenage mum. (or a teenage mum really, just a mum) I don't feel the need to justify myself but I am not a scrounging chav and I think my partner and I are great parents.

I would hate for someone to waste their pity on me as I love my life, it's utterly fantastic. I couldn't imagine it nor want it any other way.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I have no problem with teenage parents, as long as they're mature enough to care for a child. Unfortunately, many aren't. My Mum got pregnant with me at 17.
    This
    And as long as they can afford the kid and arent going to just live off benefits and as long as the kid is safe and well.
    Many teenage mums arent mature enough though and just have a kid so they can live off benefits etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    I dislike the stereotype of teenage parents. It must have some basis and I have to admit I have met some people that live up to it, but still, it's all too easy to tar everyone with the same brush. I had my first baby at 19 second at 21 and would not class myself as a typical teenage mum. (or a teenage mum really, just a mum) I don't feel the need to justify myself but I am not a scrounging chav and I think my partner and I are great parents.

I would hate for someone to waste their pity on me as I love my life, it's utterly fantastic. I couldn't imagine it nor want it any other way.

That's all very well, but you're one in a million. Most teenage moms just can't look after their kids. And some of them are even stupid enough to plan their pregnancies with their mates just to get out of school or whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    That's all very well, but you're one in a million. Most teenage moms just can't look after their kids. And some of them are even stupid enough to plan their pregnancies with their mates just to get out of school or whatever
    Not really, there are lots of people just like me. It is just because making a success of things is not sensationalised by the media. It isn't under the spotlight or even an interesting talking point. Plus, I guess it is partly to do with discouraging teens to become parents too. Showing how fantastic it can be is hardly a deterrent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    Not really, there are lots of people just like me. It is just because making a success of things is not sensationalised by the media. It isn't under the spotlight or even an interesting talking point. Plus, I guess it is partly to do with discouraging teens to become parents too. Showing how fantastic it can be is hardly a deterrent.
    If you can be a successful mother at your age then that's a great achievement and I'm glad, but I wouldn't say that there are a lot of people like you either. And while I do want to avoid stereotypes, I also feel that most teenage mothers cannot cope with taking care of their children, mostly because they are just kids themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to ask God of War exactly why he/she has a problem with single parents? has he/she considered the possibility that maybe the parent did'nt intend for it to be this way? And you cannot assume for ONE MOMENT that all single mums are getting tax payers money in the form of benefits. I am a single mum and a full time uni student. I have never in my life had any form off DSS benefits like income support, or a council flat, or job seekers blah blah. I have to pay my uni tuition fees because I am classed as a mature student (im 27) I obviously cant live in uni Halls or shared accomodation so have to rent my own flat which is a private sublet and costs a fortune, and for me to get a degree and therefore a good job and a better life for me and my kids, I have to send them to nursery while I am at uni. Do you even know how much it costs to sent 2 kids to nursery full time? DO YOU? £1200 a month. A MONTH. bear in mind that my student loan has to pay my tuition fees, and I am independant and do not get a penny or any kind of help what so ever from my parents (or child support from the childrens dad) YOU HAVENT GOT A CLUE! STOP BEING SO JUDGEMENTAL AND PATRONISING. 'YOU SHOULD NOT JUDGE A SOMEONE WITHOUT FIRST WALKING A MILE IN THEIR SHOES'

ReputationRep:
    I think as long as the mother looks after her child and loves it, it is ok, i have a friend myself who has been pregnant twice first at age 15 and again at age 16, she lost the first one before it was born and the second Maylie sadly died afew days after being born, but my friend put all her heart into these kids

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.