Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right basically; moving out in sept and am hunting for a good broadband/tv/phone package.

Obv. some of it at least will depend what is already connected in the flat (i believe they have Virgin media atm).

Basically, to clear an ongoing argument between my mum and I, I need some advice. She argues that if taking a deal whereby you take your phone line with Virgin (or any other company other than BT for that matter) you still have to pay BT for the connection as they provide the basic service.

I was under the impression that by changing phone line TO a different company you wouldn't be subject to any charge from BT from that point (bar any outstanding payments).

Surely if she was true paying BT and Virgin for the phone line would be defeatist. I think she's wrong. Is she?

ReputationRep:
    depends on the deal you take.

If you go with Virgin Media and take their cable package, and have the phone through that, then you'll pay Virgin, not BT for it,

Some other providers, like Sky, you have the choice. You can have the phone rental with BT or Sky. (at least you used to be able to).

Just check the providers site. They'll usually say if you have to take line rental with them or not.

ReputationRep:
    If you take the phone deal with virgin, you don't have to pay BT. IIRC, it is just sky that you have to pay BT for the line rental as well as phone charges from sky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    depends on the deal you take.

If you go with Virgin Media and take their cable package, and have the phone through that, then you'll pay Virgin, not BT for it,

Some other providers, like Sky, you have the choice. You can have the phone rental with BT or Sky. (at least you used to be able to).

Just check the providers site. They'll usually say if you have to take line rental with them or not.
    Sky now have their own separate line rental. It actually used to be the case that the BT line was mandatory.

ReputationRep:
    thought so. cheers

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, you'll be fine with virgin as you just pay them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Sky now have their own separate line rental. It actually used to be the case that the BT line was mandatory.
    I know. But when I signed up they had two versions of Sky Talk. One where you got slightly cheaper calls (or something) but still paid the line rental to BT, and the other one where the calls were a bit more cheaper, and the line rental was paid to Sky. No idea if that's still the case now or not.

edit - yep looks like they still do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    I know. But when I signed up they had two versions of Sky Talk. One where you got slightly cheaper calls (or something) but still paid the line rental to BT, and the other one where the calls were a bit more cheaper, and the line rental was paid to Sky. No idea if that's still the case now or not.
    Probably sounds about right. Because I know when I sold it, it used to be free calls BUT line rental from BT. Now it's something like £10 for Sky line rental but you pay for your calls.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.