Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

A close friend of mine from the British International School up here in Canada got 3 B's in her A-Level tests from Cambridge Board. She has graduated from McGill with high honors in Finance & Accounting and is going to Durham University for MSc in Economics & Finance. I have two questions:

1. How important are her high-school grades when she interviews with Investment Banks/Consulting firms that ask for such results, even though she has a perfect undergraduate record. She says that in the UK, kids are getting 4 or even 5 A's left and right and so she doesn't stand a chance with high profile employers who require A-levels grades in application, such as Goldman, etc. Is that true? Do 3 B's 4 years ago really put her at a disadvantage?

2. For such jobs in the "city of London," how would you compare St. Andrews MSc with Durham MSc. I got into St. Andrews and I am going there this fall.

Thanks all for your quick feedback!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorton15)
    Hi everyone,

A close friend of mine from the British International School up here in Canada got 3 B's in her A-Level tests from Cambridge Board. She has graduated from McGill with high honors in Finance & Accounting and is going to Durham University for MSc in Economics & Finance. I have two questions:

1. How important are her high-school grades when she interviews with Investment Banks/Consulting firms that ask for such results, even though she has a perfect undergraduate record. She says that in the UK, kids are getting 4 or even 5 A's left and right and so she doesn't stand a chance with high profile employers who require A-levels grades in application, such as Goldman, etc. Is that true? Do 3 B's 4 years ago really put her at a disadvantage?

2. For such jobs in the "city of London," how would you compare St. Andrews MSc with Durham MSc. I got into St. Andrews and I am going there this fall.

Thanks all for your quick feedback!
    1) The only disadvantage your friend may have is getting past the autofilters, since many banks stipulate a minimum of AAB in A Levels I believe those who fall short are automatically filtered out - it might not seem like some exams taken 4 years ago are important, but with thousands of applications flooding in, the banks need to find some way of distinguishing from so many good candidates...

2) Similar reputation in terms of the two MSc courses - obviously not quite up there with Finance Masters offered by the likes of LSE, Imperial, Warwick etc, but Durham and St Andrews still have quite a strong reputation in the City.

ReputationRep:
    For some reason Durham has a pretty dismal reputation for getting people into FO IB. This isn't just my view either. Are you sure you can't get into UCL/Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElemenT')
    For some reason Durham has a pretty dismal reputation for getting people into FO IB. This isn't just my view either. Are you sure you can't get into UCL/Warwick?
    I agree that in comparison to similarly ranked unis, Durham is pretty underrepresented in the City. However, I'm sure this has nothing to do with Durham's prestige or its reputation, since it is certainly up there with the likes of Warwick, UCL and Bristol in terms of its quality.

The fact of the matter is, that Durham students seem simply not as attracted to careers in Banking as those from Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/UCL. From my experience at Durham, most people who really want to get a Front Office internship tend to secure one, the rest simply aren't that interested.

I do take your point though, and it's true that the number of Durham students in Banking is relatively low.

ReputationRep:
    why on earth would the OP claim that this post is for her friend, when all her other posts make it gloriously clear that it's for her. stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Durham isn't under represented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smyth11)
    Durham isn't under represented.
    In relation to Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick it certainly is. I'm a Durham student, so I have no reason to try and put Durham down! It certainly doesn't have as many grads in FO roles as the aforementioned unis.

ReputationRep:
    As you mention, my friend isn't really all that interested in being in Investment Banking/Mgmt. Consulting. I had heard of Durham and asked her to consider these FO roles when she claimed that 3 B's puts her at a disadvantage - I just wanted to make sure what the deal with that was. Thanks everyone for your advice.

And, it is really about a friend of mine, not about me. I am a guy, not a girl, and I didn't take A-Level tests. I went to high-school in Arizona for the last two years...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.