Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For about 2 weeks now I've had hair falling out I woke up this morning with about 7 on my pillow ad everytime I apply wax there's more that come out

I have started my year in industry recently so that's been stressful and for about a month i've been researching hair loss and stuff and becoming so paranoid about it

I've never had hair fall out noticeably till recently... do you think it's because I'm stressing over my job and the thought of baldness? Or would you say genetics is finally kicking in(though... there's no baldness on my mother's side)?

Please keep anon as it's very embarrassing and getting me down

ReputationRep:
    See a GP?

ReputationRep:
    i've suffered from hair loss for ages it could be stress or maybe your anaemic like me..it's best to go to your GP and have a blood test also try not to tie your hair up to tight....hpe that helps

(Original post by Poppy_Ki)
    i've suffered from hair loss for ages it could be stress or maybe your anaemic like me..it's best to go to your GP and have a blood test also try not to tie your hair up to tight....hpe that helps
    I'm male and no I'm definitely not anaemic since I regularly give blood!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask how old you are?

This is a usual occurance after the age of 16 for many people. The GP will tell you that the "mother's side" theory is an old wives' tale. Unless you have hair loss in patches they will also tell you that you're losing hair in the "normal male pattern".

However, you shouldn't worry too much. It's natural to lose up to 50 - 100 hairs per day for some people. Many will be replaced.

There are also a couple of things that you might do to give yourself peace of mind. These include: taking kelp supplements (good for skin and hair etc); buy hairloss shampoo (sold at Boots for around £10 a bottle under names such as Nourkrin and Natura Vital - all natural ingredients); get 30 mins exercise per and have a good diet; avoid hair dyes and your wax as colouring can damage follicles and wax strains your hair when you apply it as you kind of pull it through and style it despite it's best gluey attempts to resist. Try gell, or something less tough. Obviously your best bet is to put nothing on there just incase your scalp doesn't like the ingredients.

There are also some strange and expensive chemical hair stimulants. However, you are not in need of these as your hairloss is minor. Be sure to look out for reported side effects which can include unwanted hair growth on places like your back and chest and swelling testicles. I'd advise staying away from these, no matter how desperate people become as they haven't been around that long and long term side effects could be far worse.

Be positive too. If you stress it is very detrimental to your wellbeing. Find time to relax and forget work.

You may not be going bald, but if you are there are some support forums on the net which are helpful. I think I am also starting to recede so will be taking some of my own advice. They say that many people eventually come to terms with baldness, accepting that "bald is beautiful".

However, nobody really wants to go bald, do they?

All the best. Let us know how things go.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.