Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i hate modesty. i have always thought that people who have talents or good fortune should be proud of that....it is unfair, illogical and self destuctive that our society thinks people should basically be embarassed about their strengths...it's an insult to the brilliant and a terrible message to send to the young.

why should you be modest? how can it be a good thing to play yourself down just to make less talented people feel better? this is unnatural and stupid and annoys me.

''people with money never talk about it''....this is often said by poor people to make them feel better about wealthy people who have dared to be at all proud of their achievments, how darew they, it proves that modesty is only a way of making less able people feel better. personally, i think this is horrible. modesty is ugly and the clever, wealthy, successful and such should have the right to be proud about their greatness and feel free to shout it from the rooftops.

envy is an equally disgusting trait and it is the driving force between the pressure on people to be modest imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAPAdawg)
    modesty is ugly and the clever, wealthy, successful and such should have the right to be proud about their greatness and feel free to shout it from the rooftops.....

....envy is an equally disgusting trait and it is the driving force between the pressure on people to be modest imo.
    The problem is, lack of the former may lead to lots of the latter in other people.

ReputationRep:
    Considering I live next door to Sandbanks I come accross plenty of extremely rich people and many of them aren't modest :p: Personally it doesn't bother me how much money someone else has as it's none of my business the only thing I hate is arrogance. Envy is just pointless IMO, if you want what someone else work hard and you could try and get it yourself or something equally as good. MOdesty is needed from time to time and not just to make other people feel better.

ReputationRep:
    So even though a lot of rich people just inherit their money and whatnot, it means they're 'great' and should boast about it? XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    Considering I live next door to Sandbanks I come accross plenty of extremely rich people and many of them aren't modest :p: Personally it doesn't bother me how much money someone else has as it's none of my business the only thing I hate is arrogance. Envy is just pointless IMO, if you want what someone else work hard and you could try and get it yourself or something equally as good. MOdesty is needed from time to time and not just to make other people feel better.
    Good! They shouldnt be. the way many wealthy people feel scared to reveal their success because they feel forced to be modest is disgusting.

How are you defing arrogance here? Because, in relation to rich people, many people seem to think that having a ferrari constitutes arrogance...they should really pick up a dicionary...if you're defining arrogance like this then lol. if not, then i still slightly disagree. I think that arrrogance, as long as not taken to an extreme so as to become malevolence, is a very healthy thing. the british are a very self loathing race..,,we are afraid to love ourselves and our talents and actually look afcter no 1 because we are forced into a false state of modesty. the people intelligent enough to overcome this anti darwinist nonsense and actually self themselves for once, the ''arrogant'' have my upmost respect and they literally dont care what the rest of us who will be shouting at em ''successful people dont talk about it'' and such nonsense think about them. if everyone scrapped modesty and became slightly mnore arrgoant then we'd probably be better off as we'd be more able to make ourselves feel better...leading to a happier society which spends forever trying to reduce all elements of society down to the lowest, poorest, least successful and able elements of society so as to try and please the useless in the name of pc crap

ReputationRep:
    No, being a **** is an ugly trait; being modest is just polite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    So even though a lot of rich people just inherit their money and whatnot, it means they're 'great' and should boast about it? XD
    its not just about rich people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    didnt say that. the ''great'' i was referring to were those with talents....most of who arent rich anyway. eg being the worlds best under 19 squash player you wont be rich but you will still have a talent....making money is a talent, only one of many and by no means the most important...so inevitably self made people are included. but those who iunherit wealth, althoug many are unremarkable, obviously have a right to the money and if they chose to use it to live a ncie lifestyle then that's their prerogitive and it is wrong that the horrid constraint on them..the pressure to be modest...may prevent them from enjoying what is rightfully theirs and that when they do use and enjoy their money they are called arrogant or whatever...weather they are great or not is not relevent they should not be scared to enjoy their wealth weather they made it or not.

ReputationRep:
    That's why people think Jose Mourinho is a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    No, being a **** is an ugly trait; being modest is just polite.
    why? explain please

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find ugliness is an uglier trait.

ReputationRep:
    Good! They shouldnt be. the way many wealthy people feel scared to reveal their success because they feel forced to be modest is disgusting.

How are you defing arrogance here? Because, in relation to rich people, many people seem to think that having a ferrari constitutes arrogance...they should really pick up a dicionary...if you're defining arrogance like this then lol. if not, then i still slightly disagree. I think that arrrogance, as long as not taken to an extreme so as to become malevolence, is a very healthy thing. the british are a very self loathing race..,,we are afraid to love ourselves and our talents and actually look afcter no 1 because we are forced into a false state of modesty. the people intelligent enough to overcome this anti darwinist nonsense and actually self themselves for once, the ''arrogant'' have my upmost respect and they literally dont care what the rest of us who will be shouting at em ''successful people dont talk about it'' and such nonsense think about them. if everyone scrapped modesty and became slightly mnore arrgoant then we'd probably be better off as we'd be more able to make ourselves feel better...leading to a happier society which spends forever trying to reduce all elements of society down to the lowest, poorest, least successful and able elements of society so as to try and please the useless in the name of pc crap
    I'm talking about arrogance as in them thinking they are superior, having a ferrari doesn't consitute arrogance :nah: There is no need for people to go around showing off how successful they are, yes be proud of it but you don't need to make a big deal of it. Just like you don't need to make a big deal of the fact you're 'poor'. Your own successes and wealth is your own business, no one else. Modesty is never a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    why? explain please

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see what you are getting at, being modest doesn't mean you are not using your talents, it just means you are not shoving them down other peoples throats.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree completely. If someone is very talented at something, the fact that they are able to be modest about it, when they really don't have to be, is very commendable. It shows strength of character.

I would take a modest and extremely talented person, over an average arrogant person anyday. But if the talented person wants to be arrogant, as far as i'm concerned, they have earned the right to be.

ReputationRep:
    I feel modesty is a good trait, just because someone is more talented than you or has more money than you doesn't mean the have to make you aware of this as soon as you meet them or brag about it 24/7. Just because they are modest doesn't mean the aren't proud of their success it just means they don't feel the need to make everyone else aware of it.

But I do agree with the fact that today people feel the need to be modest so they don't appear to be arrogant when they're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I'm talking about arrogance as in them thinking they are superior, having a ferrari doesn't consitute arrogance :nah: There is no need for people to go around showing off how successful they are, yes be proud of it but you don't need to make a big deal of it. Just like you don't need to make a big deal of the fact you're 'poor'. Your own successes and wealth is your own business, no one else. Modesty is never a bad thing.
    fair enough...but i never said a person should go out of their way to make a big deal of it..i just dont think they should be made to be embarrassed about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pr!ya)
    I feel modesty is a good trait, just because someone is more talented than you or has more money than you doesn't mean the have to make you aware of this as soon as you meet them or brag about it 24/7. Just because they are modest doesn't mean the aren't proud of their success it just means they don't feel the need to make everyone else aware of it.

But I do agree with the fact that today people feel the need to be modest so they don't appear to be arrogant when they're not
    Thank youj, this is what i should have said in the OP. I a person is naturally of a modest disposition then that's their right to be modest. What i am against is the fact that in british culture particularly which is a very self loathing one there is actually a huge social pressure to be modest even when you do not want to be. it's like society holing a gun to the head and saying you must be embarrassed about your success

ReputationRep:
    they should really pick up a dicionary
    V.V

ReputationRep:
    Modesty is a very British trait, it's part of our culture. We're loosening up a bit with all the American influences now thattechnology is so widespread, which as you say is probably a good thing, but a little modesty is a good thing to have, surely?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.