The Student Room Group

Word choice for PS

Poll

Which one?

I'm going to apply to university this fall and I'm starting to write my PS. In a paragraph I will talk about my work experience, which was 4 weeks long. Should I write "4 weeks" or "a month"? Which sounds better/longer? I know it might sound trivial, but I'm just looking for a general opinion here :smile:

Thanks!
Was it 4 weeks/month in one place?

Both sound the same length. Month, less characters I would go for.
Reply 2
crazylemon
Was it 4 weeks/month in one place?

Yes, in one place. I finished last week. At the end all I wanted to do is sleep and have some summer holiday already!
Reply 3
I'd say a month. It'll take up less characters az crazylemon said, and they both sound the same.:smile:
Mangaartist
Yes, in one place. I finished last week. At the end all I wanted to do is sleep and have some summer holiday already!

Don't write that bit in your PS :wink:

mel0n
I'd say a month. It'll take up less characters az crazylemon said, and they both sound the same.:smile:

I made a constructive point! that almost never happens!

:woo:
Reply 5
crazylemon

I made a constructive point! that almost never happens!

:woo:

Lol does it not :p:?! :biggrin:
Hi btw :hi: Do you and crazyferret still argue :awesome:?
Never write ''4 weeks'' it's ''four weeks'', but here ''a month'' is more succinct.
Reply 7
EierVonSatan
Never write ''4 weeks'' it's ''four weeks'', but here ''a month'' is more succinct.

Thanks for the help! I'm going to write "a month", then. Now i have English sentences spinning around in my head though, so I need to make them stop first =)
I agree with the consensus, not only because it is more succinct, but because it seems more appropriate to round it up to a month. As an example, while saying you worked for twelve weeks might be correct it seems almost too precise, and three months would be more appropriate.

Once you have completed a draft you can post it in the Personal Statement Help section if you want and the PS Helpers can have a look at your draft for you.
mel0n
Lol does it not :p:?! :biggrin:
Hi btw :hi: Do you and crazyferret still argue :awesome:?

No, I tend to hide in the med chat thread and get warned if I go elsewhere :sad:

Yes we still argue and he delights in calling me sour frequently :emo:
Reply 10
F1 fanatic
I agree with the consensus, not only because it is more succinct, but because it seems more appropriate to round it up to a month. As an example, while saying you worked for twelve weeks might be correct it seems almost too precise, and three months would be more appropriate.

Once you have completed a draft you can post it in the Personal Statement Help section if you want and the PS Helpers can have a look at your draft for you.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that =)