Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

bank problems watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I signed into my internet banking this morning, and it said that they're taking charges of £19.00 because i went over my overdraft. Basically I have an ISA with them too, and it takes £20 out of my account every month and one month I did'nt have enough money in my account and it got overdrawn. When I realised, I put the money back in, but I'm still being charged for it. What can I do about it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this happened to me too.

I went into the bank and they told me that they can reverse such a charge once per person per year - so they reversed my charge (which was £25 for going £2.39 into my non-existant overdraft thanks to a cheque that someone had taken about 5 months to cash).

So I think there is a good chance they will reverse it this time but they will advise you to always make sure you have plenty in your account in the future as they may not be so lenient if it happens again!

ReputationRep:
    who is your bank?

ReputationRep:
    Abbey National

ReputationRep:
    Just explain to them your situation and ask them nicely to waive the charge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmyem91)
    who is your bank?
    Any luck sorting it out?

ReputationRep:
    Ask them to waive the charge. They'll probably say no, in which case demand repayment of the illegal charges using the following template:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/redir/c129d2ac

ReputationRep:
    I got one waived by Abbey last year, they said it's there policy to let everyone off once, but if you got another charge in the next 6 months it would be reinstated..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    I got one waived by Abbey last year, they said it's there policy to let everyone off once, but if you got another charge in the next 6 months it would be reinstated..
    Yeah thats exactly what happened with me. Fair policy really, and it has the add-on effect of making people check their account balance more regularly!!

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter through from my bank, and they said since I've already had one overdue charge (of 29p) I've been charged for this one. Thanks everyone for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky! Sorry to hear that

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.