Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I received an interesting letter in the mail Watch

ReputationRep:
    So yesterday, my uni of choice sent me a letter in the mail basically saying 'Congratulations, you have been accepted into your chosen course' and blah blah.

The date on the letter is just July 2009 and it reads like I've already got my results and I already know that I've got the required grades. Also, it doesn't mention anything about being a conditional offer, because I received those letters at the start of the year when I got accepted on the conditional offer.

The rest of the letter just describes the modules in my course, and for whatever reason is doesn't say my name or UCAS id, only "Applicant" at the start of the letter.

What the heck does this mean? It seems way too early for me to have gotten into the university, because results are still a whole month away! But it's saying I've been accepted into my chosen course!!

What are they on about??:woo:

ReputationRep:
    It might be best to ignore it until results come out. Good luck with you them though Only a month to wait!

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a very random and confusing letter, so it's hard to ignore outright. I'm confident that I've got in anyway, but this letter seems way too vague to ignore (considering its only July).

ReputationRep:
    Well they won't have your results yet (if you did A Levels). It's possible your papers haven't even been marked yet.

Ring up and enquire about it? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I understand that, but it still doesn't explain the letter... It's weird as hell

ReputationRep:
    IB candidates already have their results

ReputationRep:
    Pardon my ignorance, but whats an IB candidate?

and yeah I will be ringing up tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Try logging onto UCAS and see if your offer has been upgraded to 'Unconditional', provided you had a 'conditional' offer to begin
    with.

Edit - An IB candidate is an international student, or so I believe.

ReputationRep:
    They may have mistakenly sent it to you thinking you are an IB or BTEC candidate

They wont have your A Level results yet so wont know whether you've got in or not

Edt: an IB candidate is someone who has done the International Baccalaureate (sp?) which is a diploma equivalent to A Levels. They already have their results.

ReputationRep:
    I looked on UCAS's tracking system and it still says Conditional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slippytoad)

and yeah I will be ringing up tomorrow.
    An IB student sat the international baccalaureate, they got their results a week or two ago.

ReputationRep:
    Either someone in the admissions office has accidentally sent off a load of letters a bit too early (which is quite possible, I'd go for that explaination given that they haven't put your name in properly) or it's some weird marketing stunt to make sure you definitely go there. Either way it's probably nothing to worry about but if you're concerned, give them a call.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the answers. But whatever way I look at it, it's more than likely a mistake of some sort?

ReputationRep:
    Just another type of qualification.

http://www.ibo.org/

(Original post by Heir-Head)
    Edit - An IB candidate is an international student, or so I believe.
    Doesn't have to be, but conventionally is. Several students take IB over A Levels for the broader education and greater challenge (generally accepted to be more difficult than A Levels for getting into university).

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the answers. But whatever way I look at it, it's more than likely a mistake of some sort?
    Yeah, I got an email from my firm asking for my IB results when I don't even do IB.

Possibly a mass-mailing error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Ring up and enquire about it? :dontknow:
    whoa that's a bit leftfield isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone know that our universities won't have our results yet?
    They have had our papers for a while now so in my opinion, it is possible that your papers could have been marked.
    I'm not saying they have everyone's grades but they might have yours.
    I'm just curious as to why everyone immediatly said that the universities won't have your results.
    I mean what proof do they have?

Most likely, the letter just wasn't meant to be sent though.
    Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayshah31)
    Just another type of qualification.

http://www.ibo.org/

Doesn't have to be, but conventionally is. Several students take IB over A Levels for the broader education and greater challenge (generally accepted to be more difficult than A Levels for getting into university).
    Ah, so that's why I've been seeing so many threads debating about what's harder, IB or A levels. Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissSunshine5)
    How does everyone know that our universities won't have our results yet?
    They have had our papers for a while now so in my opinion, it is possible that your papers could have been marked.
    I'm not saying they have everyone's grades but they might have yours.
    I'm just curious as to why everyone immediatly said that the universities won't have your results.
    I mean what proof do they have?

Most likely, the letter just wasn't meant to be sent though.
    Sigh.
    Universities don't recieve the results until a few days before results day

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.