Turn on thread page Beta

Social custom in nightclubs/bars and on 'lads' holidays watch

ReputationRep:
    *Before I start, mods feel free to move this, I was a bit unsure where to place this, but reckoned I'd get largest audience here!*

Bit of background before I begin:
    I'm 18, a guy, a virgin, never been in a nightclub and never got with a girl before, I'm pretty embarrassed about it all, but nevertheless, things will change soon if I change my social habits etc.

But what my thread is about is the social customs/expectations when guys go out clubbing, both here and abroad. I am particularly worried as I am going to Malia in a week, and have absolutely no idea basicly how to 'act' in a nightclub, my mates who are going with me say 'oh you need to take loadsa money to buy girls drinks etc'.
    Is that the main jist of clubbing - buy girls drinks, get chatting, dance etc. I really don't have a clue having never been before either here or abroad!

So basicly, I just want to ask what do you do, how do you act in a nightclub (to all the guys) and then to the girls, what do you expect of the guys, that they come over and talk/chat etc.?
    Is it along the lines of get some drinks for yourself, then get dancing, then chat to some girls then buy drinks for them etc.

Can anyone provide their experience of clubbing abroad too? Does the same sort of social custom apply to clubs/bars there as it does here?I'm not overly confident having never been clubbing in my life so havn't a clue about it at all in all honesty, which is probably abundantly evident in my thread! :p: :redface: :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 725308)
    *Before I start, mods feel free to move this, I was a bit unsure where to place this, but reckoned I'd get largest audience here!*

I'm 18, a guy, a virgin, never been in a nightclub and never got with a girl before, I'm pretty embarrassed about it all, but nevertheless, things will change soon if I change my social habits etc.

But what my thread is about is the social customs/expectations when guys go out clubbing, both here and abroad. I am particularly worried as I am going to Malia in a week, and have absolutely no idea basicly how to 'act' in a nightclub, my mates who are going with me say 'oh you need to take loadsa money to buy girls drinks etc'.
    Is that the main jist of clubbing - buy girls drinks, get chatting, dance etc. I really don't have a clue having never been before either here or abroad!

So basicly, I just want to ask what do you do, how do you act in a nightclub (to all the guys) and then to the girls, what do you expect of the guys, that they come over and talk/chat etc.?
    Is it along the lines of get some drinks for yourself, then get dancing, then chat to some girls then buy drinks for them etc.

Can anyone provide their experience of clubbing abroad too? Does the same sort of social custom apply to clubs/bars there as it does here?I'm not overly confident having never been clubbing in my life so havn't a clue about it at all in all honesty, which is probably abundantly evident in my thread! :p: :redface: :redface:
    Never do this, they may just keep asking you for drinks and then walk off at the end, just find a girl you like and get talking to her. Just chill out about it be yourself and have a good time, You go on holiday to enjoy yourself right, stop stressing about it?

You can "get" just as many girls without spending money, its about who you are not what you are.

ReputationRep:
    How do i act?

Well, i act sober enough to get past the bouncers, then hit the dance floor and begin dancing like crazy.

As for money, I dont take any. Get drunk before you go in and save yourself paying massive $$$ for overpriced drinks. Ive also never bought a drink for a girl, have never had the need to. I get enough attention without having to get them drunk thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you're unsure about club etiquette, meet people during the day - beach/bar/restaurant etc and then agree to meet up later.

I usually meet people on the dance floor, go outside for air with them, get to know them etc. The cheesier the club, the nicer the people - is usually the rule, i find..

ReputationRep:
    If you get chatting to a girl, perhaps offer to buy her a drink. However, don't just go round buying girls drinks, they'll probably take advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly don't go on calling it Social Customs. Don't buy drinks for girls all the time, maybe one girl after you've been talking to her and may be on the road to getting with her as it will speed things up. Probably get a bit drunk (I'd imagine you never really have been, so don't drink much, 'new' drinkers who get obliterated generally don't know at all how to handle it and end up being the lad who's out side passed out with sick down their top) to boost your confidence. Don't give a **** about what some others think there, if your having funny banter with your pals, its all good. And from that, just go and have craic on and have a good laugh.

ReputationRep:
    I never buy them drinks unless i know they're genuine and its on.
    Eye contact and body language are key. And dance skills.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take loads of money either as so many people lose it or it gets stolen when abroad. Just go and enjoy it. It might seem strange and really wild the first night but I bet you'll soon get used to it.

What you do in the club depends on how full it is, how noisy it is etc. Just go with the flow and you'll be fine. Going to Malia is like diving in at the deep end though! Can you not go clubbing here before you go?

ReputationRep:
    Well.... if you wan't to join in with the rest of the meatheads, make sure you drink so much alcohol that you can't form a sentence, leer at every girl you see, slap some arses, be annoyingly loud and aggressive and finish the night with a messy kebab.

Or, you could just have a few drinks, relax, enjoy yourself, dance and smile at everyone you see

I think the second option would be more successful.
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Watch the Inbetweeners episode where they go to a nightclub. Replicate all the actions in that, down to wearing a tramp's shoes and shouting "Bus *******", and I can't see how you can fail

ReputationRep:
    Just go and have fun, have a dance, and talk to new people (don't go in with the intention of "pulling" girls)

I'm a girl and I would never expect a guy to buy me a drink - I wouldn't want him to and if he did I wouldn't accept it - I know wayy to many girls who just play a guy along for free drinks - so watch yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porcelainvodka)
    Well.... if you wan't to join in with the rest of the meatheads, make sure you drink so much alcohol that you can't form a sentence, leer at every girl you see, slap some arses, be annoyingly loud and aggressive and finish the night with a messy kebab.

Or, you could just have a few drinks, relax, enjoy yourself, dance and smile at everyone you see

I think the second option would be more successful.
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    aye the second option but transfer the kebab over from the first. kebabs are good. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    only time i would buy a girl a drink is if we'd been talking for like 20 minutes and we'd both finished our original drinks

lol @ white guys in clubs. i don't get how white people think getting pissed and putting your lips on some **** is a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHRIS_PARTLOW)
    only time i would buy a girl a drink is if we'd been talking for like 20 minutes and we'd both finished our original drinks

lol @ white guys in clubs. i don't get how white people think getting pissed and putting your lips on some **** is a result.
    Compared to black guys, which do what?! I love the way you bring race into the discussion when there is absolutely no reason to. Just because you're black it doesn't mean you're dominant.

OP: Like everyone else said, go have fun. If you get lucky, you get lucky. Enjoy yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, never, ever buy drinks for girls. They drink them and then shag someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, clubs. Disgusting.

Anyway, if you simply must go to one of these cattle-markets then don't ever buy anyone a drink. Don't follow girls around, even if you've talked to them - remain in full control of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 725308)

Oooh, you're going to Malia. Lucky thing. For starters, it's pretty different abroad- I've been to two similar Greek resorts. People are much more open and up for a good time abroad so you'll probably find it quite easy to get to know random people. Just dance and see what happens. It can be a bit awkward when some absolute randomer approaches and offers a drink- I'd normally decline unless he resembled Brad Pitt. It's just a bit easy, there's nooo challenge in it at all. So it's best to have a dance and have a laugh with someone before you make an advance.
    Anyway, sorry for rambling. I do have a question- if you're not the sort of person who normally goes out, why did you choose to go to Malia!? It will be crazy, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    1. Don't randomly buy girls drinks. If you start talking to a girl and you genuinely like her then fair enough, but otherwise you will just be wasting your money.
    2. Don't go to a nightclub completely sober; you will find it horrendously unenjoyable trying to dance and talk to drunk people unless you've had a few drinks before hand.
    3. Don't turn up at a nightclub completely smashed because a) the bouncers probably won't let you in and b) you will probably end up throwing up on the dance floor by the time you've had a few more drinks.

^ Those are just a couple of things to be wary of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    As for money, I dont take any. Get drunk before you go in and save yourself paying massive $$$ for overpriced drinks.
    You're ******** me right?

The guy is going Malia. They take half a pint of vodka/sambuka/ouzo, mix it with orange juice and grenadine, give you three shots of anything you want and exchange this bevvy of the gods for a pitiful 5 euros.

Protip: Pretend it's your birthday and you get moar bevvies. Take it in turns with your mates to have a 'malia birthday'. They gave me that many free shots on my 'birthday' that I was sick all over myself and had to be carried back to my room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Otter)
    You're ******** me right?

The guy is going Malia. They take half a pint of vodka/sambuka/ouzo, mix it with orange juice and grenadine, give you three shots of anything you want and exchange this bevvy of the gods for a pitiful 5 euros.

Protip: Pretend it's your birthday and you get moar bevvies. Take it in turns with your mates to have a 'malia birthday'. They gave me that many free shots on my 'birthday' that I was sick all over myself and had to be carried back to my room.
    thats hilarious. ive just got back from kavos, why didn't we think of this?!?! hahaha. have you been to any of the other big resorts- just wondering how malia compares, as I think it's next on my list!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.