Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will claiming compo for whiplash stop me from getting in the RAF? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I was a passenger in a car accident back in March and someone hit into the back of us.
    As they've admitted fault i was told if i go to a doctors appointment and say i had whiplash for a month they'll pay out about a grand? (what's the world coming to?...might as well)

Anyway, assuming it goes on my medical records if i go/claim and because it was only 5-6 months ago, would it stop me getting in the RAF?
    Is there an amount of time that needs to pass after a problem you go to the doctors with? and is whiplash i.e. a sore/neck back one of these problems?
    I'd rather not go if it means it will inhibit my chances of joining!

Thanks for your help guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/istherafforme/health.cfm)

Your application would be rejected if:

• you suffer from asthma, or have done in the last four years;
    • you have chronic lung disease, such as emphysema, bronchiectasis or cystic fibrosis, or you have active tuberculosis;
    • you have had spinal surgery or you suffer from recurrent low back pain or spina bifida;
    • you suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, or any other bone or joint disorder;
    • you suffer from Crohn’s disease, colitis or kidney disorders;
    • you suffer from epilepsy or multiple sclerosis;
    • you suffer chronic blood disease, such as sickle cell disease, congenital spherocytosis, thalassaemia, HIV, AIDS, you carry hepatitis B or C, or you have had leukaemia or malignant lymphoma;
    • you have schizophrenia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder or you are dependent on alcohol or drugs;
    • you have had your spleen removed;
    • you have circulation problems such as Raynaud’s phenomenon or disease;
    • you have diabetes; or
    • you have a disease that needs long-term medication or replacement therapy.

Every application is treated individually, so as well as the factors listed above, there may be other reasons why we cannot accept your application.

Some jobs have particular medical restrictions so even if you cannot apply to work in one role, you may be able to work in another.
    Looks like it's not clear cut, a visit or phone call to your local careers office is the best thing you can do. I guess if the whiplash caused "recurrent lower back pain" that would count you out?

ReputationRep:
    At the risk of sounding like I've been indoctrinated...

The core values of the RAF are; Respect, Integrity, Service (before self), Excellence (in all areas).

Think about whether you would be willing to devote your life to an organisation which regards intergrity so highly and whether or not your intended course of action is morally and socially correct, never mind the potential 'medical implications' it could have...

I'll qualify that a bit; if I found out that any of my subordinates had committed insurance fraud, which is what it is...well...stand by.

ReputationRep:
    As they've admitted fault i was told if i go to a doctors appointment and say i had whiplash for a month they'll pay out about a grand? (what's the world coming to?...might as well)
    I had a friend who I used to work with who did exactly that. And yes, he did get his grand. He also used to have sticky fingers and got caught stealing from the tills. This 'big man' then proceeded to cry when caught out. None of us talk to him now.

Anyway....as Tomm says, don't lie. If you are serious about joining the RAF, and IF you get past the medical from the 'whiplash', it wouldn't go down too well if it came out.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I didn't read that part of your post right! Don't claim for it if you didn't actually have it!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    So you don't actually have whiplash but you're going to claim? I guess if you don't have it putting on your medical form wouldn't be the best idea if it may stop your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm_UK)
    At the risk of sounding like I've been indoctrinated...

The core values of the RAF are; Respect, Integrity, Service (before self), Excellence (in all areas).

Think about whether you would be willing to devote your life to an organisation which regards intergrity so highly and whether or not your intended course of action is morally and socially correct, never mind the potential 'medical implications' it could have...

I'll qualify that a bit; if I found out that any of my subordinates had committed insurance fraud, which is what it is...well...stand by.
    Without starting an uproar, he isn't in service yet (that is providing he gets in); things like that, though not meeting the "Integrity" of RAF are things which happen on civvy street. Should he then proceed to do it when signed up, well that's a different matter (as they're then not living by those values).

I'm not saying it's acceptable to do such a thing, just that should someone do it at one point, it doesn't mean they should be held forever accountable for it. Look at the amount of people who put in for travel mileage/ expenses when they don't use half as much as they claim. Again, not saying it's acceptable, but it happens - in service.

(Haven't phrased my point too well, so shall brace for incoming.)

:top:

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean and I can totally understand why he would be prepared to do it. At the end of the day though it's illegal. It's unlikely that whiplash would preclude entry, certainly for most branches, but I would just like to highlight to the OP the moral implications of his considered action.

Ultimately, it doesn't affect me, but put yourself in the other driver's shoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomm_UK)
    it doesn't affect me
    Yes, it does - it affects all of us.

Anyone who has to pay any form of insurance has their premiums bumped up by people claiming when they shouldn't. It ISN'T free money, and someone else - everyone else who pays insurance - DOES have to pay for it.

I see what Mark is saying, although I disagree; I think integrity is something everyone should aspire to, whether civilian or military, and everyone should be judged equally on their behaviour - the only difference is that military personnel can more easily be held to account for it by someone else. Certainly someone who knows they want to join up ought to adhere to decent standards of integrity, rather than decide not to bother until they've signed on the dotted line.

OP - I think you're displaying a pretty shoddy attitude, to be frank.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I accept what you're saying...and the way i wrote that makes it look fraudulant as well, but technically i did have whiplash and this is the 3rd time i've been hit. I've never claimed before.

The reason i put it that way:
    "(what's the world coming to?...might as well)"
    is because i do think it's a little stupid that you can so easily get money like that nowadays but sometimes it's warranted.

For example when:

1st..you've been hit by someone that's driven off after pulling out in front of you and putting you in a ditch
    2nd..The bloke was clearly pissed, ran you off the road and nearly into a tree and then drove off to avoid losing his licence (never mind if you're dead??)

in both cases i had to pay to repair my car/write it off at my own expense as claiming on my insurance wouldn't make my life worth living (perhaps due to false claimers and greed accepted).
    So YES in some cases i think the claiming system is valid, fair and well deserved. There's always 2 ways of looking at something.

I'm still not doing it though, for the same reason i lost my job and am not on jobseekers like everyone else...i'm an idiot.
    I just wanted your feedback, so thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beevorma)
    technically i did have whiplash
    If you have a diagnosis, it's already on your medical records!

Your last paragraph isn't clear, but if you're not claiming because you feel it's wrong, that's not idiocy, that's integrity, and good on you.

ReputationRep:
    hi i haven't been to any appointments so hopefully that means it'll be clear.

ReputationRep:
    In that case, you don't know whether you had whiplash or not.

ReputationRep:
    Buck up your ideas, soldier.

ReputationRep:
    Tomm/ Theo, as I said ,I'm not condoning it; simply that I'm aware of it happening, and like yourself Tomm, can understand why someone would do it.

ReputationRep:
    In that case i don't know whether i had whiplash or not?
    To a different degree that's the same as saying you don't know if you've been shot or not if you haven't been to the doctors....are you mad!!?

ReputationRep:
    Mark - I know you weren't. I also understand it happens. I just think that integrity, as required of military personnel, ought to be something for everyone to strive for and live by, even us lowly civilians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theo1977)
    Mark - I know you weren't. I also understand it happens. I just think that integrity, as required of military personnel, ought to be something for everyone to strive for and live by, even us lowly civilians.
    Cool, just wanted to make sure I don't support it.

Fair enough: within the officer cadre, I think it'd be a much much bigger deal - I know of people -within service- who have done slightly "naughty" things; integrity is great written on paper, but some people do tend to get blinkered by some things (money), where "integrity" may well take a back foot; whether serving, or not. (Though I suspect that subordinate ranks do tend to be slightly more "susceptible" (apologies for spelling - doesn't look right, had a few) to this).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.