Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How much do you typically spend on your car? It could be each week or monthly, or perhaps yearly. I am hoping to get one soon, Im a student and sure other students want to know how much its gonna cost to maintain one.

It should include insurance, tax, MOT et al..

ReputationRep:
    Shed loads
    Worth every penny though.

Never mind global warming, Save the V8! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I paid about £2500 for everything when i brought my 1st car (vw polo 97' 1.6) that included MOT, tax, service, new cambelt, car and insurance. Then i spend about £10.00 a week on petrol!

My other half however has recently brought a 99' 1.4 polo for £725, insurance cost him £600, its had a service, new brake pads, new wheel bearings all for about £200, and the gear box has just about given up on life so that will cost him around £300 for a new one, it also cost him about £100 for him to join the aa and for them to tow his car back to the garage when his wheel seized up. So without insurance which he is paying monthly thats £1325 - EXPENSIVE!

I hate cars. ha!

ReputationRep:
    £25 a week on petrol, tax is £100 or thereabouts, insurance is £700 a year but will be ~£400 in a couple months time. It may sound like a lot, but ive probably spent that amount just on modifications, wheels, suspension, tyres, brakes, seats, ignition stuff, etc...

ReputationRep:
    As little as possible! :p:
    Insurance: £682 for the year (I'm 17 and only just passed so should be cheaper when I renew in January)
    Tax: £120 for the year
    Fuel: £10 a week usually, probably works out as being £550 per year though
    However, I also had to pay a hundred and something quid for a new alternator, so repairs can put your car bills up. Oh, and I need a new interior mirror which is like a tenner.
    It's not as bad as people think though, and far better than going on the bus everywhere

ReputationRep:
    I spend £1065 a year on insurance, around £10 a week on petrol, £120 a year on tax and then about £10 a month to wash it etc

And then £100 a month to pay for the car itself!

ReputationRep:
    Car cost: £1150 but £800 once I p/exed my old one against it.
    Tax: £120 a year roughly
    MOT: £54 a year plus whatever goes wrong
    Insurance: £460 this year fully comp (18 months driving, 2 years no claims).
    Petrol: £60 a month at the moment, if that.
    AA cover: £70
    Repairs this year have cost me around £500 so far. Stupid car.

ReputationRep:
    car cost £8600
    tax £170
    insurance £400
    Petrol: £50 a week/ week and a half

Due to get a respray on a panel as soon as possible as someone decided to key it

nN

ReputationRep:
    Global warming, what a load of tosh! Pity because we could do with warming up here.

What do I spend on my car, more than I care to think ...
    Never calculated it to be honest, I do spend about £2K p/a on maintenance and improvement of both mechanical parts and the bodywork, that is not counting any MOT issues.

Petrol: I spend from £30 - about £100 per week depending on what I'm doing.

Insurance: Can't remember what that is this year about £500 I think, the broker just renews it and it's been a few months since I paid it!

Trackdays and all that jazz: Cost about the most p/a!

ReputationRep:
    MOT/fuel every week and a half/tax/£700? insurance/friend pranging car = lots. Worth the convenience though

ReputationRep:
    As little as possible!

Tbh though, its not that bad these days.

Insurance - £600 last year, will be below £500 come December
    Tax - £150
    Petrol - £15-50 a week depending on what Im doing, if im at uni or not, etc.
    MOT - £50
    Tyres - £130 every 2 or 3 years
    General repairs/servicing - £50 a year

At some point its going to need new brake pads, but not for a while yet. Cam belt service is due within a year or 2.

Depreciation - not sure really, its maybe lost £2500 in nearly 4 years so £650 odd a year? Might have lost a bit more than that actually, maybe lost £3000 which puts depreciation nearer £750, but nothing stupid either way.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot...

Car itself - £1900
    Insurance (male, 17 yo, 0 NCB) - £1500 a year (but I pay about £200/month to just get it off of my step dad's credit card (on 0% )
    Tax - £150/yr
    Petrol - £15 a week
    Service/MOT - Not had one yet, but it's in the region of about £50-£100 + anything extra that needs fixing.

So yeah...expensive business, but well worth the money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracie88)
    Car cost: £1150 but £800 once I p/exed my old one against it.
    Tax: £120 a year roughly
    MOT: £54 a year plus whatever goes wrong
    Insurance: £460 this year fully comp (18 months driving, 2 years no claims).
    Petrol: £60 a month at the moment, if that.
    AA cover: £70
    Repairs this year have cost me around £500 so far. Stupid car.
    I thougth that this was a thing of the past!:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamWalsh)
    I thougth that this was a thing of the past!:confused:
    Sadly my car is too unreliable not to have it :p: plus I do a lot of motorway miles.

ReputationRep:
    A lot.

Put it this way.

I struggle to live on my money every month once I spent bits and bobs on the car.

ReputationRep:
    Spent £320 today alone.

ReputationRep:
    It will probably have a lot to do with the type of car you buy. If you buy a small engined German car then it probably won't cost a lot as they tend to be economical and reliable.

ReputationRep:
    Only got my first car in March

Car Cost-£699 (inc 6 months tax)
    Insurance-£84 deposit and ten payments of £51 (made 4 so far and another 6 left )
    Tax due in August will be £68 but have that saved in Post Office Stamps.
    Parcel Shelf-£5
    Radio-£20 (it was £50 but had vouchers towards it)
    Windscreen Wipers-£12
    Petrol-£30 a month or thereabouts (probabley less), I'm not using the car that much and it's economical with being a 1.2 litre.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even want to count up how much i've spent on cleaning equipment..

ReputationRep:
    £88 a year on insurance
    £0 on tax
    £54 MOT
    £20 ish a week on petrol (averaged out, as half the year when I'm at uni, it stays at home)
    £5 ish a week (averaged out) on the occasional spare part which we don't already have somewhere/bottle of oil/lead replacement for the fuel.

So about £442. I've probably overestimated on the fuel, too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.