Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The chinese/singapore etc clique who quite often literally don't speak to ANY other people and don't even use english in day to day life.

Some elements of subject cliqueiness, but kind of unavoidable.

No others really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    If whoever negged me would be so kind to tell me how I should refer to 'coloured people/ethnic minorities/ etc. etc. etc.' to be 'politically correct' that would be really nice.
    You're not supposed to call them coloured people anymore: it is un-pc and I've heard that some black people would be offended by it. I guess ethnic minority is the way forward? :dontknow:

It wasn't me that negged you though, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    I've noticed this too. Are you perchance Indian? Could you explain why they do this?
    I'm not Indian but I talked with quite a few of them. It's usually because they're vastly different culturally and the only people who share common interests and experiences is other Indian people.

ReputationRep:
    Yer definitely. The most notable being the Asians. It's just like school really, but a bit less extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    I'm not Indian but I talked with quite a few of them. It's usually because they're vastly different culturally and the only people who share common interests and experiences is other Indian people.
    they didn't seem vastly different to British people (well not the ones I spoke to) - they spoke in virtually the same accent but would use words like 'safe', 'blud', 'innit', 'kidda', 'sohni' and 'preety' much more often than many other British people would.

They're not very culturally different I'd say - they just spend most of their time eating kebabs I think. They dont' wear traditional dress like the kind that many people in rural parts of the Indian subcontinent wear - maybe many are introverted?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deano88)
    Yer definitely. The most notable being the Asians. It's just like school really, but a bit less extreme.
    what kinda Asian DJ Dean?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed cliques by Race (i.e. chinese students all sticking together) and by faculty (like Chemistry students sticking with each other, which is really expected since they take the same classes).

Other than that, it's not a cliquey place imo.

ReputationRep:
    What's a 'rugger buger'?

ReputationRep:
    They exist. But it's not as if they hate upon each other. That mentality is left behind in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    what kinda Asian DJ Dean?

squish.
    Indians.

ReputationRep:
    they didn't seem vastly different to British people (well not the ones I spoke to) - they spoke in virtually the same accent but would use words like 'safe', 'blud', 'innit', 'kidda', 'sohni' and 'preety' much more often than many other British people would.

They're not very culturally different I'd say - they just spend most of their time eating kebabs I think. They dont' wear traditional dress like the kind that many people in rural parts of the Indian subcontinent wear - maybe many are introverted?

squish.
    Don't really want to pigeonhole people but i'll do it anyway lol.

I think that there are two subcategories of Indians at uni, there are the more naturalised ones, who are a lot more social with other races and make friends with them as well. And there are the more 'traditional' ones, who are more introverted in a general sense, and seem much more study-orientated.

Being in Glasgow, where Indians are few and far between (more of a Pakistani contingent), it's more of the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sigstuff)
    What's a 'rugger buger'?
    Loud obnoxious lads who play rugby and chin pints for fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EGjeff)
    Loud obnoxious lads who play rugby and chin pints for fun!
    do you reckon they enjoy being buggered?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    Don't really want to pigeonhole people but i'll do it anyway lol.

I think that there are two subcategories of Indians at uni, there are the more naturalised ones, who are a lot more social with other races and make friends with them as well. And there are the more 'traditional' ones, who are more introverted in a general sense, and seem much more study-orientated.

Being in Glasgow, where Indians are few and far between (more of a Pakistani contingent), it's more of the latter.
    I have had a theory!

Basically the Indian people that appear more naturalized are probably born in the UK (i.e. they are British) or immigrated to Al-UK when they were very young....

...and the more traditional ones (who may be more studious) are foreign students who have only just arrived here for their degrees - they're likely to be more studious since they are investing much more of their own money in the degree than a home student may be doing.

squish.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    You're not supposed to call them coloured people anymore: it is un-pc and I've heard that some black people would be offended by it. I guess ethnic minority is the way forward? :dontknow:

It wasn't me that negged you though, obviously.
    It doesn't matter to me who negged me, just it's a rather unconstructive comment.

I dunno, PC is out of control. If any of these non-caucasian people want to tell me what I am supposed to refer to them as, it'd be really good.

The non-caucasian people I know say they don't really care as long as it's not "******" or other derogatory name. Coloured, black, whatever, they don't care.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter to me who negged me, just it's a rather unconstructive comment.

I dunno, PC is out of control. If any of these non-caucasian people want to tell me what I am supposed to refer to them as, it'd be really good.

The non-caucasian people I know say they don't really care as long as it's not "******" or other derogatory name. Coloured, black, whatever, they don't care.
    Are you a pale-skinned person (northern European) ?

Just curious, but wouldn't you be offended by terminology such as 'g*ri p*kori, p*glet, m*lk-bottle, gh*sty, sp*nky, gr*nga, gu*ri, cr*cker, h*nky' etc? (especially if it was directed towards you)

I personally prefer to be called 'white in disguise'.

squish.

ReputationRep:

Exactly you're soooo right PC is out of control....

I think coloured has become taboo because some people just talk in terms of white people and coloured people, as if we're all the same...and they see that as mildly offensive :dontknow:

When someone calls me coloured I just think they're going out of their way to be inoffensive, which isn't a bad thing:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoSuis)
    Exactly you're soooo right PC is out of control....

I think coloured has become taboo because some people just talk in terms of white people and coloured people, as if we're all the same...and they see that as mildly offensive :dontknow:

When someone calls me coloured I just think they're going out of their way to be inoffensive, which isn't a bad thing:p:
    would you prefer the term 'pigmentally saturated' as opposed to 'coloured' - the latter sounds a bit bland and makes it out like somebody just did you up with wax crayons or something.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    If whoever negged me would be so kind to tell me how I should refer to 'coloured people/ethnic minorities/ etc. etc. etc.' to be 'politically correct' that would be really nice.

"Coloured" is a relic of the colonial era, when we (the British) tried to classify our colonial subjects by "how black" they were, which is where other terms like Negro or half-caste come from. Pretty distasteful politics, which makes these terms less popular nowadays by association.

The term "coloured" is also specifically offensive because it is euphemistic. Somebody's colour is not something to be embarrassed about or to be skirted around in 'polite conversation', so just call them black :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    but what about Scandinavian people - they're just as pigmentally challenged (if not more so) than British people and they would still be considered an ethnic minority, right?

squish.

I'm pigmentally challenged to the extent where I'm a minority. I spent the other day on the beach desperately looking for people equally as pale, and managed to find about 3 in the course of the whole day

(btw - I see how being pale is different from being an ethnic minority, before anyone gets shocked and grouchy)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.