Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cliques at your university!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the chinese clique:woo: :eek: :eek:

Haha so funny if you see photos of us at events/meals - it's like a really crap easy version of "Where's Wally?" or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    Cliques in my uni exist only amongst international students. Generally, all the Chinese students stick together, and just don't TALK to anyone else. And eastern-europeans tend to stick together, but are a bit more friendly to you than Chinese people.
    I can say the same for English people..

ReputationRep:
    A what now..?
    Cliques??
    whats that? :/

ReputationRep:
    the girls with big boobs clique they were amazing!!! (not in uni but i hope there is one)

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, us indians do tend to be unsocial to non-indians. Its cuz some of us are born without any social skills whatsoever, and are pretty xenophobic. In my college (im guessing in any college), we have those "wag1" type gangsters who only talk to other "wag1" gangsters, and take the mickey outta other people, especially us indians who LIKE to talk to people who don't have a single figure IQ.

Its funny, really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T. Hereford)
    Just out of interest, what College are you at?
    corpus!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    I can say the same for English people..
    Not where I come from. We went and introduced ourselves to anyone and everyone in freshers' week - but none of the Chinese people seemed to be interested. :confused:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not aimed at you specifically and I am not saying you are, but I think that's quite unfair to generalise that just because a group of Chinese people hang around together, they aren't willing to talk to other people.

Just because I see a group of white or brown people, I don't automatically assume they want to exclude people based on ethnicity. Are you sure they're not talking to you because they don't actually know you!? I see groups of white people who don't talk me.. that's because I don't know them, lol.
    I wouldn't attribute it 'unwillingness' to integrate - i think there is a strong language and cultural barrier that, due to there being a sizable group of them, they have little motive to overcome.

With 90 people in my year group at my college, if you don't at least know of people then its pretty safe to assume they have not integrated in as well as the 85 others in the year! One girl left mid way through 2nd term, and no one actually knew this until 2 weeks later!

I'm honestly not being unfair, its just true!

From my experience Singaporeans use English most of the time...
    Ha - shows what i know about this clique then! I think we do have one Singaporean who isn't part of the clique yes :o:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    A what now..?
    Cliques??
    whats that? :/
    Groups of people that keep themselves to themselves and don't mix e.g. a 'rah' clique.

ReputationRep:
    Not where I come from. We went and introduced ourselves to anyone and everyone in freshers' week - but none of the Chinese people seemed to be interested. :confused:
    I did too - but I had to make more effort than English people to get people to talk to me, lol. Somehow some had the feeling that I couldn't speak English properly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I wouldn't attribute it 'unwillingness' to integrate - i think there is a strong language and cultural barrier that, due to there being a sizable group of them, they have little motive to overcome.

With 90 people in my year group at my college, if you don't at least know of people then its pretty safe to assume they have not integrated in as well as the 85 others in the year! One girl left mid way through 2nd term, and no one actually knew this until 2 weeks later!

I'm honestly not being unfair, its just true!

Ha - shows what i know about this clique then! I think we do have one Singaporean who isn't part of the clique yes :o:
    Sure. But as a non-English person, sometimes (not all the time) I feel I have to make an extra effort to talk to people because I'm not their typical 'local' student.

Fortunately, I've been in the same place for so long that I don't even make the effort to make friends, with English, British or Chinese people...

lol at your last comment

ReputationRep:
    ETA: Southampton really doesn't have a 'rah' contingent. Although, there are loads of people who wear Jack Wills, A+F etc., who I suppose could be called rah...but outside their fashion sense, they mainly seem down-to-earth...
    Thank goodness for that, I'm going to Southampton in September; was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to put up with a massive band of rahs!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sure. But as a non-English person, sometimes (not all the time) I feel I have to make an extra effort to talk to people because I'm not their typical 'local' student.

Fortunately, I've been in the same place for so long that I don't even make the effort to make friends, with English, British or Chinese people...

lol at your last comment
    I'd imagine you do, its a different culture, although if this is based on your appearance or accent that would be disappointing. The point is, said people do not make even the slightest effort - no one had even seen the majority of these people before - they were just names on our year-list, whereas people from malaysia, australia, germany, india, all fit in fine. We all thought they just all worked really hard in their rooms all day until those that lived near them started saying they were sometimes really noisy with talking etc because they had brought loads of other chinese people back from other colleges. Fair enough, its a free country, but an undeniable clique!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ETA: Southampton really doesn't have a 'rah' contingent. Although, there are loads of people who wear Jack Wills, A+F etc., who I suppose could be called rah...but outside their fashion sense, they mainly seem down-to-earth...
    lol - because someone is dressed in a certain way they can't be 'down to earth?'. Those people you describe are undeniably 'rahs', its just that you've actually taken the time to judge them as people rather than by what they wear. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    There are cliques everywhere. I don't belong to a clique; unless you count socially-inept-people-who-look-like-hippies-unintentionally-and-can't-hold-a-conversation a 'clique'.
    may i join your "socially-inept-people-who-look-like-hippies-unintentionally-and-can't-hold-a-conversation" clique, please :blush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I'd imagine you do, its a different culture, although if this is based on your appearance or accent that would be disappointing. The point is, said people do not make even the slightest effort - no one had even seen the majority of these people before - they were just names on our year-list, whereas people from malaysia, australia, germany, india, all fit in fine. We all thought they just all worked really hard in their rooms all day until those that lived near them started saying they were sometimes really noisy with talking etc because they had brought loads of other chinese people back from other colleges. Fair enough, its a free country, but an undeniable clique!
    Appearance, yes. Accent, no - I've got a Southern accent .

But do you see the common grounds for all of those countries? People from these countries are either 'white' or 'brown' (sorry for generalisation). They are more common in Britain so you are automatically more comfortable with them, whereas for the Chinese, they always appear more 'foreign'.

Americans have them - 'Perpetual foreigner'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereot..._United_States

I've had people telling me I can't vote or I won't be able to sit on a jury because I'm not 'English'. If only they knew their constitutional law... I still fail to see why people actually want to serve on one - such a waste of time! Professionals try to avoid them

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of a book I have called the cheeky guide to student life :p:
    Basically, these are the 'student archetypes' (that I can remember):

Rugger Buggers: ex public school Tories with thick necks and Hugh Grant haircuts.

Art Students: adorned with piercings; vacant and sullen expressions.

Engineering students: supermarket jeans, Korn t shirts, room decorated with large chested females sat astride motorbikes.

Ravers: neon clothing, obligatory silly hat of some kind.

The strange silent ones: Disturbing low moaning noises can be heard from their room at night.

House nazis and note-leavers: write names on their food and leave hysterical notes telling you to tidy up.

Activists: the men sport a day's growth of stubble and smoke roll ups; into hunt sabs and eating tofu.

The unashamedly posh: (speaks for itself)

The unashamedly poor: (as above)

Nu-Goth: androgynous appearance, sallow complexion, lank hair and heavy makeup.

Trekkies: smell of BO and lack charisma. Fluent in Klingon.

Return learners: look and dress like your grandparents. Volunteer information without prompting. Overly cheerful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    There are cliques everywhere. I don't belong to a clique; unless you count socially-inept-people-who-look-like-hippies-unintentionally-and-can't-hold-a-conversation a 'clique'.
    i eat cookies for breakfast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    If whoever negged me would be so kind to tell me how I should refer to 'coloured people/ethnic minorities/ etc. etc. etc.' to be 'politically correct' that would be really nice.
    its just old fashioned not offencesive but lol when i read it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucinda_x)
    This reminds me of a book I have called the cheeky guide to student life :p:
    Basically, these are the 'student archetypes' (that I can remember):

Rugger Buggers: ex public school Tories with thick necks and Hugh Grant haircuts.

Art Students: adorned with piercings; vacant and sullen expressions.

Engineering students: supermarket jeans, Korn t shirts, room decorated with large chested females sat astride motorbikes.

Ravers: neon clothing, obligatory silly hat of some kind.

The strange silent ones: Disturbing low moaning noises can be heard from their room at night.

House nazis and note-leavers: write names on their food and leave hysterical notes telling you to tidy up.

Activists: the men sport a day's growth of stubble and smoke roll ups; into hunt sabs and eating tofu.

The unashamedly posh: (speaks for itself)

The unashamedly poor: (as above)

Nu-Goth: androgynous appearance, sallow complexion, lank hair and heavy makeup.

Trekkies: smell of BO and lack charisma. Fluent in Klingon.

Return learners: look and dress like your grandparents. Volunteer information without prompting. Overly cheerful.
    Haha Love it, I think about 4 or 5 categories are inhabited by my friends.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.