Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Another response to all the people who don't like the term coloured.

Black says to me the darkest form of colouring.
    Splitting it up into Indian, Chinese, Afro-American, etc. was unnecessary in my opinion.
    Referring to them as 'people' wouldn't quite have worked, as I wasn't including caucasians in the group.

People, I made one mistake and I am apologising sincerely; I didn't mean to be racist or anything like that- now please chill out a little bit. And you can stop quoting me; I've already been told about this, OK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Another response to all the people who don't like the term coloured.

Black says to me the darkest form of colouring.
    Splitting it up into Indian, Chinese, Afro-American, etc. was unnecessary in my opinion.
    Referring to them as 'people' wouldn't quite have worked, as I wasn't including caucasians in the group.

People, I made one mistake and I am apologising sincerely; I didn't mean to be racist or anything like that- now please chill out a little bit. And you can stop quoting me; I've already been told about this, OK?
    haha people on here are just over reacting... It's obvious you weren't intentionally being racist, just ethnics would have been better
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    haha people on here are just over reacting... It's obvious you weren't intentionally being racist, just ethnics would have been better
    You're telling me. If anyone ever makes one mistake on here, they get pounced on like a zebra in a lion pit.

But I am sincerely sorry, and there isn't much I can do about it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jataylorlfc)
    ur coming across as a ****.
    I don't care what people like you think. People who are not hypersensitive will see what I mean - we live in a truly infantile age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    You're telling me. If anyone ever makes one mistake on here, they get pounced on like a zebra in a lion pit.

But I am sincerely sorry, and there isn't much I can do about it now.
    I know, I was just thinking it's ridiculous that the thread has basically turned into an argument about racism over one comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    So you'd really want to be referred to by a racially offensive term!?!?!

Surely you wouldn't want to be called 'sp*nky'?!?!

"Ghosty" is hardly a racially offensive term, and I wouldn't mind it one bit (Ghosts are awesome!). Tbh, it's a lot beter than "paste-face", which is what my own dad calls me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    I don't care what people like you think. People who are not hypersensitive will see what I mean - we live in a truly infantile age.
    im not "hypersensitive" u **** im just saying youre coming across as a ****, saying things like:
    in fact most people see it as the correct way to refer to negroes.
    firstly youre stating something as "fact" when it isnt and using the term negroes for no reason.

yes we do live in an infantile age, when adopting a basic level of human decency and politeness is seen a great laborious task.

its simple,race shouldnt be that important in everyday conversation, i think everyone with a normal level of exposure to people of different ethnicities knows that black is fine, and grouping everyone whos non white into coloured is contentious and probably wrong because it perpetuates colonial and supremacist attitudes

(there being whites, and everyone else). go listen 2 jon gaunt......

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think it's the same at uni, because there are so many people that go there, it's too big to really contain cliques, just groups of friends. But thats not to say that people with the same interests don't hang around. Personally, we never really had cliques at my pevious school anyway, I always thought of it as more to do with american culture rather than british.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tinket)
    I know, I was just thinking it's ridiculous that the thread has basically turned into an argument about racism over one comment.
    Love you.

Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.