Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I know its fine to mention your A level subjects in your PS but what about your AS ones?
    I'm most probably going to drop English literature having taking it up to AS level. I really want to mention the skills it gave me because it actually did help me with other subjects in terms of vocab, analytical skills (a lot), presentational skills. I can express myself more effectively now.
    Can I still mention the subject in my PS? I really wanted to take it on to A level as I feel it is the most useful A level I've got but I feel I have a greater chance of gaining 3 As in my other subjects so I'll probably drop English Lit.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TylerDurden)
    Hey,
    I know its fine to mention your A level subjects in your PS but what about your AS ones?
    I'm most probably going to drop English literature having taking it up to AS level. I really want to mention the skills it gave me because it actually did help me with other subjects in terms of vocab, analytical skills (a lot), presentational skills. I can express myself more effectively now.
    Can I still mention the subject in my PS? I really wanted to take it on to A level as I feel it is the most useful A level I've got but I feel I have a greater chance of gaining 3 As in my other subjects so I'll probably drop English Lit.

Thanks
    You can certainly mention them, if it gave you a relevant skill. What is it you're applying for? Not everything you mention in a PS has to be current by any means, although the more recent the better. Of course, in talking about it at length you set yourself up for the question at interview or in the mind of the reader as to why you dropped it for which "I think I had a better chance of getting 3As" isn't perhaps the best answer so be prepared for that one.

As a general rule I wouldn't mention too many subjects in your PS. Only discuss those that are most relevant and avoid making strained or tenuous links.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    You can certainly mention them, if it gave you a relevant skill. What is it you're applying for? Not everything you mention in a PS has to be current by any means, although the more recent the better. Of course, in talking about it at length you set yourself up for the question at interview or in the mind of the reader as to why you dropped it for which "I think I had a better chance of getting 3As" isn't perhaps the best answer so be prepared for that one.

As a general rule I wouldn't mention too many subjects in your PS. Only discuss those that are most relevant and avoid making strained or tenuous links.
    I want to study management at uni. I'm probs applying to LSE, Warwick etc.
    The AS subjects I did were Maths, Eco, Bio and Eng Lit. I'm definitely not going to mention bio in my PS as its such a useless subject. However, I will definitely get a predicted A as the subject consists of memorising the textbook.

The reason why I'm dropping English Lit is because I find it harder skills wise and might not be able to manage it in A2. But I can't put that in my PS.... Is there any other alternative reasoning or way I could subtly end the few lines about the skills gained from AS Eng lit?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TylerDurden)
    I want to study management at uni. I'm probs applying to LSE, Warwick etc.
    The AS subjects I did were Maths, Eco, Bio and Eng Lit. I'm definitely not going to mention bio in my PS as its such a useless subject. However, I will definitely get a predicted A as the subject consists of memorising the textbook.

The reason why I'm dropping English Lit is because I find it harder skills wise and might not be able to manage it in A2. But I can't put that in my PS.... Is there any other alternative reasoning or way I could subtly end the few lines about the skills gained from AS Eng lit?

Thanks
    Well, don't mention you're dropping it in your PS. Just say that you've learnt x and y from your English AS. However, it's something they might ask you about later if its clear from your UCAS form (as I guess it would be) that you've dropped it. The obvious "excuse" is that your other subjects are more relevant/interesting to you but that only works if they are more relevant.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.