Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well previously, i registered for a conference that is being held on the 20th July (which is tomorrow). It has been said that i'll be informed if i can actually attend the conference since sits are limited. But after 2 weeks, the organization did not contact me and on last Friday (17th) i concluded that i didn't get to go to the conference since that would be the last day that they can inform me. Also that Friday is the day that i can determined whether i can proceed with my presentations and my classes this coming week (since i've to informed in advanced to my lecturer if anything happens)

To my shock just this afternoon, i got a call from them (on a Sunday, 19th!) that would i be going to the conference or not. OMG! The event is tomorrow and now they are informing me?? Well i told them that they are too late and i actually need permission from my lecturers before i can go (Which is why it's crucial for them to give me a confirmation letter or informed me earlier, at least on Friday). Well they said a complaint letter might be send to the uni if i did not attend since that is the terms and conditions!

Well it is true it's the terms and conditions if i did not attend but the thing is that i also need a confirmation letter OR at least they can informed me on a working day and not less then 24 hour before the event! Is not like i don't want to go, i would love to go but my uni also has policies or procedures! lol am i being irrational here? They even suggested that i can just informed the Uni verbally if i need to go there? Lol i can't possibly do that!?

ReputationRep:
    Go to the conference, and send your tutor an e-mail tonight so that they'll see it first thing tomorrow? Would you be missing a lot of classes tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    Go to the conference, and send your tutor an e-mail tonight so that they'll see it first thing tomorrow? Would you be missing a lot of classes tomorrow?

yes. Lots of them. i even have presentations coming..

ReputationRep:
    Use electronic mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newman24x)
    yes. Lots of them. i even have presentations coming..
    If you're not going, maybe you should inform your tutor of your situation so that they'll ignore the letter of complaint (if the conference people will even send it).

ReputationRep:
    If the presentationsa count towards your course then it may be worth going in case they can't grant you any consideration. Otherwise I think an email or phone call would be perfectly acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    I think you normally get a certificate of attendance at the end of the conference (if you want/need one), so you could give it to your lecturers afterwards.

You could have told them before that you might go to a conference that week, now it really is a bit sudden. However it's worth emailing them about it even now; they might be happy for you to go.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your lecturer, and anyone else likely to receive a complaint letter about the situation before it shows up. If there's stuff tomorrow that you can't afford to miss, then it's a fairly simple setup. If the conference lot don't complain, forget about them. If they do, ensure they get a response (either from you, or preferably whoever they sent the complaint to at the university) that they provided totally inadequate notice, and it is not your fault you can't attend. Make sure you make it clear that you are not the one who screwed up here - one day is pathetic notice and only someone grossly incompetant would resort to it. This is one instance where the apologetic approach isn't the best idea - it isn't your fault, so don't give them an opportunity for them to blame you.

ReputationRep:
    Go and hide under a pile of coats until the whole unpleasant affair blows over.

But yes, the idea that someone can call you the day before something, on a Sunday, when they had weeks to inform you is ludicrous. You really ought to have told them off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    If the presentationsa count towards your course then it may be worth going in case they can't grant you any consideration.
    Yes it counts. The course does not have any exams. Just presentations (3 in total and one project) That is why it's crucial for the organization to inform me as early as possible so as to not to looked as if i'm making silly excuses to the lecturer or seen as taking the course lightly as it will jeopardize my marks.

(Original post by llys)
    I think you normally get a certificate of attendance at the end of the conference (if you want/need one), so you could give it to your lecturers afterwards.

You could have told them before that you might go to a conference that week, now it really is a bit sudden. However it's worth emailing them about it even now; they might be happy for you to go.
    I was also considering this but one of the course lecturer firmly said that he will not entertain any letter if any student submit it the day they went to any event or after the event. He's course outline mentioned it as well (and he highlighted in bold! lol). I would normally emailed my lecturers but for this particular lecturer, i would rather show him the actually paper then just send him an email (he said so that granting absence is not automatic) He's rather strict about policies and class attendance and i don't want to be in trouble with him

(Original post by MrCynical)
    Tell your lecturer, and anyone else likely to receive a complaint letter about the situation before it shows up.
    Yes. I think i should do this. I want to avoid any unnecessary argument lol

If they do, ensure they get a response (either from you, or preferably whoever they sent the complaint to at the university) that they provided totally inadequate notice, and it is not your fault you can't attend. Make sure you make it clear that you are not the one who screwed up here - one day is pathetic notice and only someone grossly incompetant would resort to it. This is one instance where the apologetic approach isn't the best idea - it isn't your fault, so don't give them an opportunity for them to blame you.
    One of my mates said it's unprofessional of them to do so. I've to agree with you and her about this.

ReputationRep:
    i forgot to mentioned, they claimed that they have send me the conformation slip two days ago (which would have been on Friday). But there's no such thing both in my laptop's inbox and my phone's inbox!

hurff...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.