Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have the spine to openly criticize people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If someone is being a tosser and they need to be told I'll tell them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    So, essentially, you're doing exactly the same thing as they are?
    Perhaps... but it's time to kill some peoples' ego

(Original post by DAFOne)
    Not into uncalled for criticism, but if somebody asks me a question (of the 'do you think I am fat?' variety), I have no problems being brutally honest.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm one of the most critical people I know. I criticize people for having no common sense, not knowing answers to the simplest of questions, asking ridiculously stupid questions, doing stupid things, doing bad things, doing pointless things, not doing necessary things, calling me arrogant when I'm just trying to get my point across, the list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    If people say silly statements that have had no thought invested in to them, then I see no wall between them and my harsh criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    If people say silly statements that have had no thought invested in to them, then I see no wall between them and my harsh criticism.

Superbly put

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artekus)
    Superbly put
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I do this all the time, fighting the unholy liberal hordes on this board!!! Hence the large negative rep :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    When someone asks me something and tells me to be honest, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God yes, yes, and a most emphatic yes. But I expect equally strong criticism if I myself **** up. Can't stand a namby pamby attitude in either direction - it just shrouds any issues further when one should be working on correcting them, and if I let my pride get in the way I'd be a complete ****.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all the time. However I'm always making jokes so noone takes me seriously anymore. I'm always calling girls fat, and they just laugh.

ReputationRep:
    If it's something they can do something about then fine. However, no point in picking on someone for something they can't change, e.g. their eyes being very close together. Unnecessary antagonism is just futile, if you wanna let your anger out get a punchbag or wait for someone who has actually done something malevolent to vent your spleen on; problem is, people don't often want to criticize the people who really deserve it because they make vicious enemies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God of War)
    I do this all the time, fighting the unholy liberal hordes on this board!!! Hence the large negative rep :rolleyes:
    I mean people in real life. On the road. In your class. in your family. Friends and acquaintances, strangers alike.

ReputationRep:
    Only if entirely necessary. If someone is doing something mildly irritating but ultimately hurting no one, I'd let it go. But if someone is doing something mind - numbingly STUPID and it is actually painful to hear/see them do it, then yes, something needs to be said. I'd expect someone to say something to me in similar situations.

ReputationRep:
    I don't attack people themselves, but if they do something I'll tell them. Although I don't come out all guns blazing either, I'll say something like "well, I don't think you should have done that" rather than "you're an idiot".

ReputationRep:
    I just correct everyone. I dunno why but people get annoyed when they are corrected even though I am just teaching them something new.

I critise whenever it is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Used to critisize people all the time, was one of my bad points - I think i've improved lately though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Very very rarely.

ReputationRep:
    Criticise, yes, if necessary. Insulting random people I try to avoid.

ReputationRep:
    i cant...only on the internet. i hate arguing irl. dunno why. i avoid it at all costs. even when people are wrong and i know it i never even correct them..i'm a very conflict avoidant person. it can have negative effects though....like cos i dont air things publicly i tend to go away and think about them way more than i sholuld and this can cause me to bear grudges. i try not to...i just hate criticism. my dad is the same....he once ate some partially cooked chicken served at a restaurant cos he didnt want to upset the waiter by sending it back...he got mild food poisoning.

surprisingly my dad is a retired half decent amateur boxer and kickboxer. and whilst i'm more weedy than he is i quite like a physical fight....we are both just terrible with verbal conflict. odd

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.