Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Low speed, High gear watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who genuinely couldn't give a balls how much fuel their car uses?

The best car I ever owned did between 6 and 9mpg round town or 12-15 on the motorway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    What car ?
    Ford Fiesta. So yeah, not exactly high spec but still, don't see how any other car (cept one about £30000 more!) will be much different. & Diesel if that's relevant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1ng_k0ng)
    There's no problem with this, I drive my dads 2.0 litre diesel around at 25mph in 6th gear haha. Im not entirely sure why because we get free fuel so fuel efficiency isn't exactly a worry but hey ho

WT the hell it musta been shaking like hell.

i only hava 1.4 clio (00) and yet i cannot do 30 in 5th without the car warning me to drop a gear or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    exactly, some of the posts seem to state the opposite in this thread, confusing!. So we should all drive around with nice high revs.
    No... it's more economical to have lower revs. When you're in 3rd gear it takes more revs and more pressure on the accelerator to reach, say, 40mph than it does in 4th or even 5th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubstepper)
    WT the hell it musta been shaking like hell.
    No, it handles it quite nicely actually, obviously if you want to accelerate you can forget it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    Ford Fiesta. So yeah, not exactly high spec but still, don't see how any other car (cept one about £30000 more!) will be much different. & Diesel if that's relevant?
    Well the more torque you have the more acceleration , ford fiesta's don't have much torque and seeing as you was in gear four , you was producing hardly any BHP or torque , so you're not really going to move anywhere. And as for diesel cars , they produce peak torque between 1000-2000RPM ( Usually ) , so pulling in gear four would have been fine.

I hope this helps

Maximum velocity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoVis)
    No... it's more economical to have lower revs. When you're in 3rd gear it takes more revs and more pressure on the accelerator to reach, say, 40mph than it does in 4th or even 5th.
    Not if a higher gear is so hard to maintain that it uses more fuel than running the engine faster. My engine complains noisily if you attempt 40mph in 3rd, cruises perfectly in 4th at 40, and gets quite grumpy if you try to do it in 5th. Obviously 5th has lower RPMs for the same speed but 4th carries you at 40 effortlessly, whereas it struggles a little to maintain it in 5th (especially in the country roads around here). Perfect cruising speed in 5th is 50 for me. Yes, my power band is ridiculously short but it teaches you how to dig around in the amazing gearbox to keep it on the power (lets big it up for the infamous LT77 people!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Not if you drive a V8.
    I dont usually take any notice on motoring threads until you've said your piece, that just made me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superluke2k8)
    I dont usually take any notice on motoring threads until you've said your piece, that just made me laugh.
    lol! That's very gracious of you.

It's true though. I used to put mine into 2nd gear to get the wheels turning and then put it straight into 5th.
    It was pointless having any other gears around town.

She had more grunt than an angry badger!

Mind you... the little 4 cylinder thing I've got now is a real animal... I hitched up a 1 1/2 ton caravan on the back of her the other day since it was the only car we have small enough to pull the thing round the front of the house.
    It's only supposed to be able to tow 1/2 a ton! :o:

ReputationRep:
    If the car starts to judder or shake when you put your foot down a little then it means your in much two low a gear (sorry this might have been said can't be arsed reading back).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Am I the only one who genuinely couldn't give a balls how much fuel their car uses?

The best car I ever owned did between 6 and 9mpg round town or 12-15 on the motorway.
    Probably :p:

What car is that btw, with the horrendous mpg?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElegantElephant™)
    Probably :p:

What car is that btw, with the horrendous mpg?
    it was a 1978 MGB GT V8 3.5 litre that I built myself.
    Put it this way... it was running rich enough to spit flames a good foot out of the exhaust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    it was a 1978 MGB GT V8 3.5 litre that I built myself.
    Put it this way... it was running rich enough to spit flames a good foot out of the exhaust.
    Sounds pretty cool, I'm guessing it's the one in your profile pic :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElegantElephant™)
    Sounds pretty cool, I'm guessing it's the one in your profile pic :cool:
    No, that's the replacment....
    This is the original. All Kustoms have to have a name and she was known as "neck snapper" due to the rediculously low gear ratio's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Yes, my power band is ridiculously short but it teaches you how to dig around in the amazing gearbox to keep it on the power (lets big it up for the infamous LT77 people!!)
    The gearbox in my V8 was out of a 2 wheel drive ex SD1 LT77.
    It was OK... but I much prefer the Borg warner 3 speed auto for my next project car so i'll let you keep the LT77

ReputationRep:
    is it bad to drive at 115 mph in 5th gear in a 1 litre corsa with the revs at the limit of 6000?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Not if a higher gear is so hard to maintain that it uses more fuel than running the engine faster. My engine complains noisily if you attempt 40mph in 3rd, cruises perfectly in 4th at 40, and gets quite grumpy if you try to do it in 5th. Obviously 5th has lower RPMs for the same speed but 4th carries you at 40 effortlessly, whereas it struggles a little to maintain it in 5th (especially in the country roads around here). Perfect cruising speed in 5th is 50 for me. Yes, my power band is ridiculously short but it teaches you how to dig around in the amazing gearbox to keep it on the power (lets big it up for the infamous LT77 people!!)
    Yeah - I think the ballpark of lower revs being better can be used within reason - I was questioning the veracity of the theory that it would be more economical to always be driving with higher revs. I guess the conclusion is a nice balance is required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    No, that's the replacment....
    This is the original. All Kustoms have to have a name and she was known as "neck snapper" due to the rediculously low gear ratio's.

She's a real beauty, quite a feat that you built it yourself :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1ng_k0ng)
    There's no problem with this, I drive my dads 2.0 litre diesel around at 25mph in 6th gear haha. Im not entirely sure why because we get free fuel so fuel efficiency isn't exactly a worry but hey ho
    Something doesn't add up there of course.

Another thing to note is that this style of driving is perfect for icy conditions, as there are fewer torques going to the wheels and therefore a lower chance of spinning out. I drive my mum's car, a 1.9 TDi Astra (pretty much a deathtrap in the hands of a 17-year-old), and you don't get the same satisfaction out of 2nd gear as 3rd. In 2nd, you just feel like you're revving the engine more than putting power to the wheels, but in 3rd the fun begins - the gears really get a grip of the wheels and you start laying down some serious power (and some serious acceleration).

High gears and low speeds aren't recommended on inclines either, unless you're quick with the clutch foot.

EDIT -
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    is it bad to drive at 115 mph in 5th gear in a 1 litre corsa with the revs at the limit of 6000?
    I don't remember the last time that we had 105mph winds here.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just best to drive in the appropriate gear for the speed you're travelling. Say 2nd for 20, 3rd for 30, etc.

Saying that, I usually just whack my Fiesta into 5th when in 30mph limits and just leave it to it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 11, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.