Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Assume I have just left university now, what should I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, since I'm home for the summer my father talks to me a lot about what I will do after I graduate and my last year. I have nothing more to say to him except that I won't starve to death because of social welfare.

This thread is in the careers section because I would like suggestions on what I should do because I do not see my situation improving in my final year.

I have finished year 2 in Philosophy in a university ranking between 23-37. I have my final year starting september. Currently I am on a 2:1. My work experience at university 2nd year only consists of various odd jobs paid in cash and one "proper job" with a P60/45 form which was charity related. I did so poorly I was sacked after 6 weeks though my supervisor admits I was hard working and turned up on time. My interpersonal skills are poor as I have no friends at university after 2 years and so obviously I have no leadership potential. In my 2 years I have done little of interest as I could not participate in extra curricular sports in such a level that was worth mentioning and social interaction with other students depresses me so no student societies positions or travelling either. since philosophy is a humanities subject, no technical skills or qualifications either.

I'm fairly demotivated by my situation so any thoughts on what I could do that's not on minimum wage and how I should do that or is minimum wage or dole what I should be preparing for when I graduate next year?

ReputationRep:
    Get a real qualification?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    But you do a lot of essay writing, right? That's quite clearly valuable :yep: Have you considered carrying on with your education beyond undergraduate level? You need to have more faith in yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    But you do a lot of essay writing, right? That's quite clearly valuable :yep: Have you considered carrying on with your education beyond undergraduate level? You need to have more faith in yourself!
    Yeah, great idea! Let them take ever more money from you, for yet another worthless piece of paper. :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Xang Lee)
    Yeah, great idea! Let them take ever more money from you, for yet another worthless piece of paper. :rolleyes:
    So what is a 'real' qualification to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xang Lee)
    Get a real qualification?
    Zing!

no seriously OP, go into teaching.......:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    apply for grad schemes like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    So what is a 'real' qualification to you?
    One that has some real world application.

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas what you want to do?

Surely you thought about this before uni...

Grad schemes open in Sept!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Visit your university's career service and have a look at postgraduate courses, and potential careers you are interested in.

ReputationRep:
    anything i should do in my 3rd year then? from the replies given so far i guess i'm going to fail miserably anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    anything i should do in my 3rd year then?
    Work out what you actually want to do in 'life' and apply to do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Work out what you actually want to do in 'life' and apply to do it?
    anything that's not on the dole? that's my main motivation, to avoid complete failure.

ReputationRep:
    anything that's not on the dole? that's my main motivation, to avoid complete failure.
    In that case whats the problem?

You just apply for jobs and masters/PhDs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    In that case whats the problem?

You just apply for jobs and masters/PhDs.
    My father keeps talking to me. "you're gonna **** up son, you're going down the ******* drain after going to private school and getting to university"

then I say "oh, looks like i'll just eat **** for the rest of my miserable working life then"

i'm just trying to find at least some shred of positivity or something good to do other than just waiting to be **** on

ReputationRep:
    My father keeps talking to me. "you're gonna **** up son, you're going down the ******* drain after going to private school and getting to university"

then I say "oh, looks like i'll just eat **** for the rest of my miserable working life then"

i'm just trying to find at least some shred of positivity or something good to do other than just waiting to be **** on
    So are you going to apply to things or not...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So are you going to apply to things or not...?
    i suppose i have to so yeah
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    nobody else is responsible for you, your life or your future happiness. You have to grip it regardless of anyone else. Sorry, but that is the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    Use your last year to actually get involve in extra curriculur activities - if it's out of your comfort zone, just force yourself. Not only will it be something to put on your CV, but you'll probably make some good friends and feel more confident and better within yourself.

It took me until my 3rd year to feel properly settled at uni, but it was by far by best year and I made some really good friends that I hadn't even spoken to before.

Give it a try, and good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.