Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I've applied for an accommodation and a membership at Ustinov College. However, they contacted me last week telling me that they r unable to find a room for me at Ustinov and have to find another college. I'm not so happy for that news! So, which college do u recommend me to apply to? I'm thinking of Hatfield College or University College. I don't know really why but maybe because of their location. Can anyone help me to choose?

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem and contacted hatfield and they have no places. University is always oversubscribed so tbh we might be lucky if we get a room in a college at all even though i payed the deposit before the deadline

ReputationRep:
    I had thought that if you'd paid a deposit before the 1st July that you were guaranteed a room somewhere too. I can't believe they've gone back on that, it's terrible. Obviously lots of people might still drop out, so it might be worth waiting but who knows?

ReputationRep:
    Yea iI really need to contact colleges as St Chads are not to fussed in my opinion at them moment but I want to get somethig sorted before at least month long field trip.

I think it may be that Durham has under estimated the amount of people entering postgrad this year

ReputationRep:
    Hi mates,

So many people have the same problem! That's disapointng! I paid before the deadline but haven't been told where to go yet!! I hope they don't ask me to find my own accommodation! We need to wait until we see howit goes!!

ReputationRep:
    After calling 10 out of 16 colleges they are all full and the postgraduate secretaries are absent in nearly all of them.

But if you like me paid before the deadline we are guarenteeed accomodation provided by the university but who knows where as there is a waiting list of over 100 for each college

ReputationRep:
    That's weird!
    I did pay before the deadline and was told that an accommodation is guaranteed for me at the Univ. But as u said 100 waiting list for every college is too many!!!!
    Where will they find the accommodation?!

Don't know really..

ReputationRep:
    Thats what ii have been thinking apparently they will find somewhere to put us or rent other accommodation near the colleges or something. They said people drop out so wait until September.

It was a vast under-estimate of postgrad accommodation needed

ReputationRep:
    Of course the secretaries will be on holiday - it's the summer! :p:
    Try Trevelyan - we need more postgrads...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pikaboo)
    Of course the secretaries will be on holiday - it's the summer! :p:
    Try Trevelyan - we need more postgrads...
    Are you sure?

I would like to change to other college, if possible...

ReputationRep:
    I thought Trevs didn't have very much postgrad accommodation?
    It did say on the Chad's infomation that around 60% of people who had an offer didn't end up coming to Durham, so there may well still be lots of people not turning up.

ReputationRep:
    Trev's does not have anything left believe me i would move if I could get any space!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the waiting list of Ustinov too..Even if I applied before the 1st of July..They said that I still am guaranteed an accommodation,even if I have to change college..They said maybe some places become available..We have to wait..

ReputationRep:
    If you like the Ustinov accom at Brakenbury then I'd suggest trying Castle because they share the building for postgrad accom. However as stated above Castle is heavily over subscribed. When i called back in the middle of June to chase up my accom, they said that they have about 26 rooms and about half were confirmed by people how had already sent their deposits. I've been lucky enough to get an email on 1st July from the college with the link to the accom deposit site. The email said that even thought that it was now the deadline, i would definitely have my place because the secretary had put my name on the list and nothing would change in the two weeks she was away from the office.

ReputationRep:
    That really sucks - I know Durham were pushing for finalists to stay on as postgrads, which probably accounts for the oversubscription for accommodation. I'm pretty sure there will be lots of private sector accommo left, so might be worth having a look now =/?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AATTMM)
    That really sucks - I know Durham were pushing for finalists to stay on as postgrads, which probably accounts for the oversubscription for accommodation. I'm pretty sure there will be lots of private sector accommo left, so might be worth having a look now =/?
    At the moment I will leave it. we were guarenteed accomodation somewhere so I'll just wait until they sort it out they kind of need to really. Basically there wont be to much news until the undergrad places have been allocated

ReputationRep:
    The University guaranteed to provide accommodation for those applicants who had accepted their places and paid their deposit by the deadline. That guarantee will be honoured. More people hold that guarantee than there are rooms available currently but that is normal for this time of year. It does mean that in many cases the University can't yet indicate where the accommodation to be provided is but nonetheless it will be provided. The guarantee doesn't state what sort of accommodation this will be or that it will be in the specific College to which people applied, or even that it will be in a College at all - if it's necessary, there is plenty of private accommodation available which the University could provide for any final excess of postgrad over College availability. Funding decisions, degree results and personal choices mean that a significant number of postgrad applicants don't take up their places so the expectation is that all people holding a guarantee will be accommodated in a College and possibly some others not holding guarantees will be able to squeeze in, depending on capacity. I guess the bottom line is that if you're on the waiting list, this doesn't mean that the guarantee has been withdrawn. It is still absolutely valid and you do not need to find your own accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    Today I've been informed that I'll be in St Mary's , after being in the waiting list of Ustinov!
    What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

This exactly what happened to me!
    The problem is that it is a standard room which means shared bathroom!! Also it's catered and I asked some friends who have been living there about their meals and told me that it's not that good.

Also they told me that it's full with undergarduates who make lots of parties and famous for its noise!!

Meanwhile, it's location which is near the main library is a good advantage. Also it is closer to the twon and surrounded by beautiful views.

A friend of mine has suggested to have a private accommodation..
    I'm so confused really!

What do u think?

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be too bad. Just think of it this way - if you go for private accommodation, chances are the room is going to be not as nice as a college room and you're also not going to escape having a shared bathroom. Also, it's probably going to have road/street noise. Being catered can also be considered a blessing since you will save a lot of time and effort =D Ustinov is only about a 10 minute walk away, so you can still get to the bar and everything. If you were living out you'd probably be much further away and more isolated.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.