Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUNEER85)
    Hi there!

This exactly what happened to me!
    The problem is that it is a standard room which means shared bathroom!! Also it's catered and I asked some friends who have been living there about their meals and told me that it's not that good.

Also they told me that it's full with undergarduates who make lots of parties and famous for its noise!!

Meanwhile, it's location which is near the main library is a good advantage. Also it is closer to the twon and surrounded by beautiful views.

A friend of mine has suggested to have a private accommodation..
    I'm so confused really!

What do u think?
    Well still havent heard back.... I guess it will be sometime soon least I hope so

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, u mean heard back from.........?

ReputationRep:
    Basically applied for St Chads on the waiting list and I guess waiting for some sort of accommodation where ever it may be as I applied before the guarentee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUNEER85)
    Hi there!

This exactly what happened to me!
    The problem is that it is a standard room which means shared bathroom!! Also it's catered and I asked some friends who have been living there about their meals and told me that it's not that good.

Also they told me that it's full with undergarduates who make lots of parties and famous for its noise!!

Meanwhile, it's location which is near the main library is a good advantage. Also it is closer to the twon and surrounded by beautiful views.

A friend of mine has suggested to have a private accommodation..
    I'm so confused really!

What do u think?
    Hello again mate.I'll accept this place!I have a single room too the shared bathroom is a problem ,but as we said the previous week,being catered is a big advantage.I think I prefer that from Ustinov finally..Also someone here mentioned that next year food will be the same for all colleges,so it might be good:p:
    About the undergraduate ''noise'' I think that postgraduates are allocated in a separated division of the college(edit:The North-East Wing of St Mary's is reserved for postgraduate students).
    It will be good to meet some undergraduate students too..As AATTMM said we can also go to Ustinov's famous bar for a beer!I'm also a little concerned about St Mary's but now it's my only choice (I don't want to start searching for private (isolated)accommodation, so I'm happy with how things came

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Ustinov Bar is mega =D Thursday nights - one of the best pub quizzes around! [and one of the few things I'll miss about Durham!!] Also, you can get toasties from Mary's bar, which is another plus!

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing wrong with a shared bathroom! You have been far too spoilt in your other university haha. But seriously, as a soon to be undergrad at Marys Ive been hearingr eports that its pretty damn quiet, and thats one of the reasons I want to move. Its also not as full of rahry types as the colleges youve already been looking at, which means a hell of a lot less braying.

Come root me out when you get to Mary's and we'll have a quiet moment.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I thin u r right guys!
    Also wen AATTMM said that it's much better than any private accommodation. Anyway, I'll visit the college to see the room and let u all know soon..

Ceers everyone

ReputationRep:
    Sharing a bathroom really isn't a big deal, especially if you're with postgrads who tend to be a bit more serious about their studies.

ReputationRep:
    I too couldn't find any accommodation in Ustinov college.
    Should i go for private accommodation or can they fix my accommodation in some other college.
    What happens if the my accommodation is in some other college , Will i still be a member of the Ustinov college.

As I am an international student, it will be a pain for me to find private accommodation and I will miss the collegiate experience which had drawn me towards Durham.
    Any ideas about other colleges, I heard Hatfield is the most happening college of the lot !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greek)
    Hello again mate.I'll accept this place!I have a single room too the shared bathroom is a problem ,but as we said the previous week,being catered is a big advantage.I think I prefer that from Ustinov finally..Also someone here mentioned that next year food will be the same for all colleges,so it might be good:p:
    About the undergraduate ''noise'' I think that postgraduates are allocated in a separated division of the college(edit:The North-East Wing of St Mary's is reserved for postgraduate students).
    It will be good to meet some undergraduate students too..As AATTMM said we can also go to Ustinov's famous bar for a beer!I'm also a little concerned about St Mary's but now it's my only choice (I don't want to start searching for private (isolated)accommodation, so I'm happy with how things came
    Congratulation u finally secure an accommodation!!! Let's meet at Durham in Oct!

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming to Durham in October to start an MA and I haven't found accomodation either. I really wanted to be in college accomodation but it's looking pretty unlikely atm, on the waiting list at Ustinov but the secretary there just said its over 200 people long!

Because I'm doing a Research degree, however, I don't HAVE to be there for the first month or so. I'm hoping that pretty much everyone will have to be in some accomodation (private or college) for the first three weeks, so the waiting list will fall considerably. And then, of course, people always don't turn up / drop out. I'm hoping then to ring around the colleges again around late October. Surely by then there will be a free college room in Durham!

I know this is a high-risk strategy but what do others think?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.