Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Telling your Parents about a BF with a big age gap. Watch

I've just started seeing this guy. I'm 17 (18 in December) and this guy is going to be 22 in 10days or so... How do I try and tell my Mum without her having a heart attack that he's quite a bit older :|

Do you think that's too big an age gap for someone to have?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all! I'm 17 and my BF is 22 in December (so that's only a couple of months difference to you) and it's ok. We really click...

As for you Mother... well she will just have to understand. :p:

ReputationRep:
    No what is it four years (i'm talking about when you're 18 obviously according to birthdays).
    I know people with far larger age gaps someone with 14 years.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not exactly gerophilia is it?

ReputationRep:
    Dosent seem like a gap to worry about to me. Just reassure how he is a nice guy to your parents and suggest that they meet him, you dont know how they are going to react intill you tell them, so i would just go for it and then see how they feel. Make sure you are mature about it all, good luck

ReputationRep:
    Just tell your parents that you are bringing over a friend and then when he gets there just say "mum, dad this is X, I've been seeing him for a while now." I think that's the hardest bit, but once you've done it your parents can get to know him before they criticise.

ReputationRep:
    Its Kinda Sad For 22 Yr Old Guys To Be Going Out With Pubescent 17 Year Old Girls Really.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It really isn't that big of an age gap at all.

I got together with my husband when I was 17 and he was 24. Nobody batted an eyelid.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    That barely qualifies as an 'age gap'. :/

Surely your mother doesn't expect you to only date people who were born on the same day as you?

ReputationRep:
    Thats not bad at all was with a 26 year old when I was 17 and just recently got out of a relationship with a 30 yr old
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butthead7)
    Its Kinda Sad For 22 Yr Old Guys To Be Going Out With Pubescent 17 Year Old Girls Really.
    Rofl, since when are normal 17 year old girls going through puberty?

Bad choice of word, that.

ReputationRep:
    I just turned 18 and my boyfriend just turned 22. Not a big deal at all. As long as you are somewhat mature for your age and he isn't trying to take advantage in anyway or anything then it shouldnt be a big deal. I wouldn't mention the age unless she asks you (even so..its not like he's 40 or anything!) and yeah get them to meet and hopefully your mum will see that he's a nice boy and you get on well together and it won't matter. Better four years older than four years younger tbh!

ReputationRep:
    :ottid:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Rofl, since when are normal 17 year old girls going through puberty?

Bad choice of word, that.

ReputationRep:
    at our age it is a large gap im quessing your at sixth form while hes out working, you need to think about if you guys can make it through the difference. If the answer is yes and you can show your parents that the age difference doesnt matter then I dont see what they can say about it really. Age is just a number

ReputationRep:
    Thats not really much of a gap. Imagine if you were 30 and he was 34, nobody would say a thing.

Age gaps are obviously more noticeable the younger you are, but i wouldn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    there is 4 yrs between the hubby and I, my dad wasnt too chuffed when we first started seeing each other (i was 16 so understandable) but it soon settled down - it helped I'd known him all my life though I think.

As you get older the gap becomes less noticable...no one bats an eyelid now at 25 and 29! People stopped caring once I lost the "teen" in my age heh.

(Original post by brokenangel)
    at our age it is a large gap im guessing your at sixth form while hes out working, you need to think about if you guys can make it through the difference.
    Well he works in the RAF (he left school at 16)

And I'm just out of Sixth Form away to start Uni (I'm staying local so disntance isn't a problem)

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to have the conversation then why not just introduce them? "He's 22" doesn't have to be the first thing you say to your mum. They can get to know him first and (presumably!) see that he's ok. Maybe wait a bit as you've just started seeing him, might be more hassle than it's worth.

ReputationRep:
    It's not much :| Just lie and say he's 20/21 or something? if you are that worried

ReputationRep:
    heh i wouldnt lie about his age, if it lasts they will find out soon enough and just make you like like a bit of a fool.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.