Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Telling your Parents about a BF with a big age gap. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've just started seeing this guy. I'm 17 (18 in December) and this guy is going to be 22 in 10days or so... How do I try and tell my Mum without her having a heart attack that he's quite a bit older :|

Do you think that's too big an age gap for someone to have?
    why do you have to be anonymous to ask a question like this?

and plus iam sure yur mum wouldn't mind. I know people who are like 16 and dating 25 year olds!

ReputationRep:
    I started going out with my boyfriend when I was 17, and he was 25. My parents didn't love it at first, but I just told them straight. I don't think the age gap is big at all, and if he's a nice person your parents should grow to love him. Mine did! There might be shock at first, dependning on what your mum's like, but it'll go!

ReputationRep:
    I started seeing my partner when I was 17 and he was 21 just about to turn 22. My mum never really said anything, just make sure you introduce him to your parents and they'll respect that rather than him being a secret. I'm now 21 and my partner is 26.

ReputationRep:
    My friend is 16 and her boyfriend is 20.

ReputationRep:
    Thats nothing, but dont lie about his age, because in long run..

Im sure she wont mind.

ReputationRep:
    I was 18 and by bf 23 when we started going out. I can't say I've ever really cared hes 5 years older. My parents I don't think were overly happy about it at first but there's 4-5 years between them too. Just be honest or you'll make your relationship based on a lie and just cause more stress

ReputationRep:
    I isnt too much of an age gap. Its only 4 years.
    Let your mum and dad meet him so they can ge to know him. As long as he is nice and isnt doing anything to you or anythingnit should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I dont know your mum but I'm sure she'd be happy for you It's not too bad an age gap and, as others have said, let your parents meet him and get to know him. As long as they can see that he is a decent person then that matters more than age gaps. They might like the fact that he's a bit older because they may think he is more responsible! When I was 16 I went out with a 28 year old for a couple of months. I think my mum was a bit shocked but she got on well with they guy and didnt get cross or anything. I think mums can be quite understanding :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.