Turn on thread page Beta

University and "The grass is greener on the other side" watch

ReputationRep:
    A few months ago I got rejected from my current university for a course change. It caught me completely off guard as I thought I'd still be able to hang around my friends and everything, so the next few weeks was spent thinking about staying in a course I wasn't so keen on.

Decided in the end that as much as I liked my friends I wouldn't do well in a course I disliked. So I started preparing to leave, figuring out where to go and preparing my ucas applications etc. As a last desperate resort I applied to my own university since my grades weren't spectular and most universities had filled up their placements.

During all that time I was upset that I had to leave my friends and desperate to still be around them. Even though I hoped to get back in, I thought chances of that happening was less than 1%. So I'm looking up other universities, thinking about which new environment I should go to and who I shall meet. Few days ago I receive news that I've got an unconditional offer!

Brilliant news! I can't believe it. My wish has come true. :woo:

At least I thought it did. It's strange but I'm suddenly having doubts about whether this is the right choice to make. I'm thinking that it's because I had anticipated leaving for so long that I had been somewhat looking forward to exploring new places despite the whole friend issue. There's the possability I'm falling into the trap of thinking the grass is greener on the other side, that other universities might be better.

My university is quite good but I get the impression that the other university is better from general opinion not based on league tables. Statistically my university is top 30 as well for it's ranking subject but it's research department is not that great in comparison. Would there be actually such a huge difference in the teaching quality though?

Current university
    - Get to be with my friends
    - It's a decent university
    - I already know the environment

Other universities.
    - Fresh environment
    - Might be better for the course.

ReputationRep:
    If the notion of going against the grain and attending a "lower class" university that much really offends your sense of pride then don't do it. If, however, you see that other things are more important then what one newspaper has to report on the subject then move.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What you've got to ask yourself is why you wanted to change your course in the first place and whether the place you've received a conditional offer from is more like what you're looking for from a course

ReputationRep:
    Yes I understand this. Im attending a uni currently in the top 45 which I think its rubbish since I am a good student. Im always wondering if I should have gone somewhere else and wishing I had a few more marks in certain exams which would have given me ABC. Go with your heart!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.