Turn on thread page Beta

European and UK clothing sizes..? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm ordering some clothes and it's all in European clothing sizes..and I have no idea what size to get?

I looked at some of my clothes that have European clothing sizes and UK ones in and I'm still confused because..

Jane Norman 6 is a 32.
    H&M 8 is a 34.
    Primark 8 is a 36.

And all these things fit me. Wtf?

Help?!

ReputationRep:
    Go by inches rather than sizes :dontknow: Most places will have a chart or whatever saying how big their clothes are in inches. Just measure yoruself and pick clothes which fits that

ReputationRep:
    I always thought 8 was a 36, 10 was a 38 etc. but I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    H&M are daft, what they call a size 8 is actually a 6, what they call a 10 is a size 8 (going by the inches measurements). Not sure about Jane Norman, maybe they do the same?

ReputationRep:
    My friends in Spain atm, and she's buying me some stuff, can't really ask her to measure things :sad:
    && what does a '32' or '34' mean if I measure myself? What am I supposed to measure haha.
    Oh I know nothing

ReputationRep:
    European usually work in hip sizes if I remember correctly. But some have more generous sizing dependant on their main customer base (and the sort of clothes/fabric/cut etc)

Rough guide is usually

8=36
    10=38
    12=40
    14=42

etc etc

Also, check the store's website to see how their clothing converts too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    My friends in Spain atm, and she's buying me some stuff, can't really ask her to measure things :sad:
    && what does a '32' or '34' mean if I measure myself? What am I supposed to measure haha.
    Oh I know nothing
    If the stores have a website and a size chart, check them out. For example, H&M.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I am so confused haha :emo:

H&M website says a 32 is a UK 6.
    Butttt wikipedia tells me that a 32 is a UK 4.

Might just go for a 34 and hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    I have pjs from primark that are an 8-10 and they say 36-38. But then i have a top from h&m that says a 38 is a 12.
    It's weird.

ReputationRep:
    H&M seems to be the weird exception, but on the whole I've found that 38=UK10, 40=UK12 etc etc

ReputationRep:
    So if I'm normally a 6, I should go for a 34?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, think so!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.