Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After reading another thread it prompted me to wonder if any/many people here have experience of being sectioned under the mental health act. I study mental health nursing so I have experience of the professional view point when someone is being brought into a hospital on a section, but it's occurred to me I haven't really heard that much from the view of people that have actually experienced it.

Yeah i have. At 17 years old and then again at 18 years old. Was in hospital for three months the first time and 7 months the second time.

It was an extremely frustrating experiences. Not wanting to take what was being given to me but then if i refused, being given injections...i wanted to try and get better without drugs ...

I recommend you get a few life story books which explains it from a patients perspective.
    I think its excellent you want to do that though.
    I think you'll make a great nurse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I recommend you get a few life story books which explains it from a patients perspective.
    I think its excellent you want to do that though.
    I think you'll make a great nurse.
    I don't know who this is but thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i have. At 17 years old and then again at 18 years old. Was in hospital for three months the first time and 7 months the second time.

It was an extremely frustrating experiences. Not wanting to take what was being given to me but then if i refused, being given injections...i wanted to try and get better without drugs ...
    If you don't mind me asking, what were you sectioned for? I mean what were you refusing medication for which lead to you being sectioned? Seven months is such a long time to be in hospital, how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who was when they were anorexic, they were just refusing any help at all from doctors and stuff .

(Original post by smilee172)
    If you don't mind me asking, what were you sectioned for? I mean what were you refusing medication for which lead to you being sectioned? Seven months is such a long time to be in hospital, how did you find it?
    The first time for attempted suicide within the hospital, i wasn't sectioned or hospitalized at the time. I was basically found by the police and was having rows with them because i didn't want them to find me. Although i don't know if i was officially sectioned here. The second time i was definately put on a higher one, section three or something.

The second time i don't remember. I was drunk and basically just woke up in the hospital like uh...And because i was nearly 18 i couldn't be taken to the adolescent ward which was much much nicer. Here i was put on section but it basically made no difference to what they did except my leave was basically removed and i dont think i'm allowed to certain places in the world now.

Their was some people in their you could have a right laugh with, some others though would freak me out, like i once woke up and had someone sitting on my bed and went ballistic at him. Well i think i was in there for so long because i was causing some trouble because i was so bored! Like if i got leave i would stay out much longer or come back drunk or w.e. They never really punished me for it though i supposed i just kept doing it.

Also i had nowhere to live so i had to wait whilst they found me my own place because i couldn't deal with hostels. I wanted to stay of drink and drugs but at hostels there's quite a lot of it and when its right under your nose it's extremely hard to say no...i was in a hostel previous and was doing ok but eventually caved.

I've been out for 6 months though and definitely don't want to go back. No idea how the staff put up with me but im grateful all the same.

ReputationRep:
    The first time for attempted suicide within the hospital, i wasn't sectioned or hospitalized at the time. I was basically found by the police and was having rows with them because i didn't want them to find me. Although i don't know if i was officially sectioned here. The second time i was definately put on a higher one, section three or something.

The second time i don't remember. I was drunk and basically just woke up in the hospital like uh...And because i was nearly 18 i couldn't be taken to the adolescent ward which was much much nicer. Here i was put on section but it basically made no difference to what they did except my leave was basically removed and i dont think i'm allowed to certain places in the world now.

Their was some people in their you could have a right laugh with, some others though would freak me out, like i once woke up and had someone sitting on my bed and went ballistic at him. Well i think i was in there for so long because i was causing some trouble because i was so bored! Like if i got leave i would stay out much longer or come back drunk or w.e. They never really punished me for it though i supposed i just kept doing it.

Also i had nowhere to live so i had to wait whilst they found me my own place because i couldn't deal with hostels. I wanted to stay of drink and drugs but at hostels there's quite a lot of it and when its right under your nose it's extremely hard to say no...i was in a hostel previous and was doing ok but eventually caved.

I've been out for 6 months though and definitely don't want to go back. No idea how the staff put up with me but im grateful all the same.
    Wow, sounds like a really interesting experience to say the least. Thanks for telling me, hopefully you'll be able to stay well now though we get a lot of people who find it difficult to stop drinking because they live in hostels - what is it about hostels that people drink and do drugs there so much lol!

ReputationRep:
    my friend had a c-section

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    my friend had a c-section
    it's hardly a section of the mental health act!

ReputationRep:
    it's hardly a section of the mental health act!
    I don't know, everyone told her she was mad for keeping it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    I don't know, everyone told her she was mad for keeping it.
    still irrelevant

Yes - for emergency management of my anorexia. Was a long time ago now though.

Wow, sounds like a really interesting experience to say the least. Thanks for telling me, hopefully you'll be able to stay well now though we get a lot of people who find it difficult to stop drinking because they live in hostels - what is it about hostels that people drink and do drugs there so much lol!
    A lot of people in one place whom have usually done drink or drugs. Some of them want to stop and try and improve their lives whilst others don't and will go out and come back each night pissed.

So eventually its just like 'stuff it' its better then staying in at night and you join em lol.

But yeah i definitely recommend picking up a few books from it though to really get what it is like and the frustration that can come from it. 'Girl interrupted' is a film about someone with borderline personality disorder in a mental institution and that was pretty good.

But respect to you =). A lot of people even if they don't say it, will appreciate the work you do (as long as your a nice one lol) for the rest of their lives .

ReputationRep:
    Yes - for emergency management of my anorexia. Was a long time ago now though.
    Are you well now?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people in one place whom have usually done drink or drugs. Some of them want to stop and try and improve their lives whilst others don't and will go out and come back each night pissed.

So eventually its just like 'stuff it' its better then staying in at night and you join em lol.

But yeah i definitely recommend picking up a few books from it though to really get what it is like and the frustration that can come from it. 'Girl interrupted' is a film about someone with borderline personality disorder in a mental institution and that was pretty good.

But respect to you =). A lot of people even if they don't say it, will appreciate the work you do (as long as your a nice one lol) for the rest of their lives .
    Ah, that's a lovely thing to hear the best thing about it is seeing someone come in when they're most unwell, and then seeing them leave and back to being themselves. It's really nice. I tried watching Girl Interrupted once, but I tend to fall asleep at every single film I watch so that wasn't very successful! Will definitely look into some books though.

Are you well now?
    Well enough. I still struggle, but am a normal weight (BMI of 22) and have been for some years now. I think it takes more control to eat than to avoid food, so that helps a lot.

ReputationRep:
    All very interesting - and I might take a look myself at one of those books.

ReputationRep:
    Almost. It was voluntary. As in;

"If you don't come in voluntarily we will section you."
    Lawl. So I don't know if i'm much help!

But I'm starting Mental Health Nursing in September.

ReputationRep:
    Me, frequently. I ******* love it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.