Turn on thread page Beta

Can anyone give me a guide to hours at Uni & Placement - Nursing? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am hoping someone can give me an idea about the timetable or hours you spend at Uni and placement as a guideline for nursing? I am keen to apply for adult nursing and the Uni nearest to me just says they have not written the times up for Sept yet. All that I want is a rough estimate of how much time is spent when at Uni, eg 9-5pm Mon-Fri etc. My local uni says that I can still apply for Sept but have childcare to consider so would like some idea if I can organise the kind of care required (if I make any sense?):confused:

I was looking at studying radiography and their hours of uni and placement are pretty much 9-5, Mon to Thurs so if I was not impatient (need to complete access course first whereas nursing I can get onto the diploma now) that works out great for family arrangements. Just worried that radiography may be too technical for me so figure that nursing is more hands on and general but the hours kinda freak me out a bit!!
    So any response would be hugely appreciated! :yes:
    **CC**

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *CC*)
    Hi all,

I am hoping someone can give me an idea about the timetable or hours you spend at Uni and placement as a guideline for nursing? I am keen to apply for adult nursing and the Uni nearest to me just says they have not written the times up for Sept yet. All that I want is a rough estimate of how much time is spent when at Uni, eg 9-5pm Mon-Fri etc. My local uni says that I can still apply for Sept but have childcare to consider so would like some idea if I can organise the kind of care required (if I make any sense?):confused:

I was looking at studying radiography and their hours of uni and placement are pretty much 9-5, Mon to Thurs so if I was not impatient (need to complete access course first whereas nursing I can get onto the diploma now) that works out great for family arrangements. Just worried that radiography may be too technical for me so figure that nursing is more hands on and general but the hours kinda freak me out a bit!!
    So any response would be hugely appreciated! :yes:
    **CC**
    Every uni varies massively with regards to placement v. lecture hours. My uni did at the beginning monday and tuesday in uni, and then 7.5 hour shifts wedneday through friday. But then after the first semester of first year it varied a lot, so some terms it was 1 day of lectures a week and 3 or 4 days of placement. However in adult nursing I think you can do long days of 12/13 hours and therefore less shifts in a week, depending what suits you and the placement you're in.

In some unis, they do block theory and block placement. So for example 8 weeks of theory, where most days are spent in uni, and then 8 weeks of placement, so a 37.5 fulltime week. It really depends. I found that my placements were really flexible - if I'd had children I could have easily arranged my shifts around childcare, although it really depends if you've got nice, kind helpful mentors!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.