Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wisdom teeth extraction questions Watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently had an x-ray of my mouth done abroad by chance that revealed that I have a impacted wisdom teeth in my lower right which is buried underneath the gum. The dentist also recommended that I have the lower left wisdom teeth removed for alignment & future hygiene reasons.

I have never felt any pain or discomfort from them. I'm 20 now, so I'm not sure if it'll cause future probolems.

SHOULD I HAVE THEM EXTRACTED?

If YES, should I wait until I go back to England or do it abroad now? Would the NHS operate for free on my 2 wisdom teeth even though at the minute I have no symptoms?

Also if you've had them extracted before, was it very painful? I know local anasthetic doesn't work too well from previous dentist trips for fillings. Would you recommend a general or IV and would the NHS give me that choice?

Doing it abroad is not an issue and I can have it done anytime until I go back to England but it's a case of not great urgency now + potentially free on NHS vs potential timebomb later...

ReputationRep:
    My mum is a dentist. She often sees patients who've been sent to her for extractions for stupid reasons such as "alignment, hygiene, blabla" and it simply isn't worth going under general aenesthesia for something silly that does not affect you and poses no threat. A wisdom tooth under your gum will either errupt (like all the other teeth) and come to the surface fully, or remain there. Either way, it poses no threat to your health. However, if at any point it becomes uncomfortable or infected, then you should take action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    My mum is a dentist. She often sees patients who've been sent to her for extractions for stupid reasons such as "alignment, hygiene, blabla" and it simply isn't worth going under general aenesthesia for something silly that does not affect you and poses no threat. A wisdom tooth under your gum will either errupt (like all the other teeth) and come to the surface fully, or remain there. Either way, it poses no threat to your health. However, if at any point it becomes uncomfortable or infected, then you should take action.
    oh yeah, impacted wisdom teeth means it's pointing horizontally towards a molar teeth. so it will not erupt if it's buried under gums already, but i dont' know if it will grow any more or not.

by the time it causes problems, from my past experiences with the NHS it could be a lot of hassle/pain/waiting? hence i'm interested in whether the NHS will put me on a waitinglist now, as I have the x-rays to prove it.

ReputationRep:
    If your Dr advised you to have it done for health reason then you will probably be able to get it done on the NHS. I'm having all 4 taken out tomorrow :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph708)
    If your Dr advised you to have it done for health reason then you will probably be able to get it done on the NHS. I'm having all 4 taken out tomorrow :s
    hmm it's a dentist abroad, so i'm hoping NHS dentist might feel the same way.

gl to you! what type anasthetic would you be using?

ReputationRep:
    I would say that unless you were feeling discomfort from them pushing on the molar then there isn't any reason to have them taken out, certainly not ASAP anyway.

Your options for anaesthesia are local anaesthetic, IV valium or general anaesthetic. I've only had IV valium but if I need to get one of my other wisdom teeth taken out I would go for it again as it has the benefits of general anaesthetic without the negatives imo.

ReputationRep:
    Very much doubt you'll be able to get them out on the NHS unless they're causing you problems.

Either pay to get them removed or try and ignore the foreign doctor. Dentists in the USA often tell you to get them removed 'just in case'. But sounds like just a way to make some money tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting mine out in 2 weeks coz I've had seven infections since they came through a year ago. Apparently, I qualify to get them out if I've had more than 2 infections in a year yet it took me quite a few infections more for my dentist to say, "yep! They need taking out!." Mine are growing backwards into my cheek and it's SO annoying when I get food stuck behind them! I'm glad to be getting mine out soon.

So no you can't get them out if you're having no problems with them. Plus, you're over 19 and even if you're in full-time education you'll still have to pay (I think it's £45 plus the consultation fee of £16.50).

ReputationRep:
    i've heard that wisdom teeth, if not taken out will cause damage in the long term to the nerves, jaw etc (if there isn't enough room) and it can be really painful. not all people will be affected. the older you leave it though, the harder it will be to take the wisdom teeth out. some people's mouths were just not meant to have all 32 teeth. in the past with even poor dental care, apparently we would have lost some adult teeth so there'd be room for wisdom teeth to grow.

if you have straight teeth/braces, wisdom teeth can reverse this if there isn't enough room.

ReputationRep:
    I also have impacted wisdom teeth and dentists won't extract them until they've managed to get through a fine layer of bone, and mine have just reached that stage and some are now coming through.

If you wait until you get home, are you already registered with a dentist because they'll need to refer you to the hospital etc. Then you have the NHS 18 week wait and things. NHS would operate so long as there were valid reasons I should imagine.

They should also give you a choice on whether you have anaesthetic, general or local.

I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed under local anaesthetic but they did give me the choice. The dentist said that there is no reason to undergo a general anaesthetic but some patients prefer it - given the risks of general anaesthetic I would always choose local if at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed under local anaesthetic but they did give me the choice. The dentist said that there is no reason to undergo a general anaesthetic but some patients prefer it - given the risks of general anaesthetic I would always choose local if at all possible.
    Your cartoon makes you look familiar. Are you going into 5th year (?) medicine at Manchester, by any chance?

(Original post by CatexW)
    Your cartoon makes you look familiar. Are you going into 5th year (?) medicine at Manchester, by any chance?
    Not quite... going into 3rd yr at Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    hmm I'm thinking of just having them done where I am now mainly for convienience and insurance reasons I guess.

I dont' think they'll offer me general anasthetic here, but I intend to ask about IV or gas. I hate going to the dentist and even when they drill my teeth for fillings with local anasthetic it's like slaughtering a pig

I really dont' think a shot of lidocaine/novocaine is going to do much for cutting through my gums, breaking a layer of bone and drilling then cutting the impacted wisdom teeth into little pieces

what anasthetic did yous all use or intend to use?

ReputationRep:
    After consulting about 20 dentists, I had them taken out. I had braces and leaving them be would have messed up my mouth again and besides my mother only had the troublesome ones (two on the bottom) extracted when she was a teen and by age 40 she had to take the other two out because they were damaged.

The thing about them is that they are very difficult to wash properly so you will take them out eventually - it's probably better to do it while you're a teen.

Also, make sure that you get some good opiates from your doctor if you are taking them out (it'll hurt a for few days afterwards).

ReputationRep:
    YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GET IT EXTRACTED.
    I thought i could live without an extraction, but the tooth kept growing and it started damaging the next tooth and right in the middle of my exams, i got the pain. i was put on pain killers for a week and had to get it extracted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Not quite... going into 3rd yr at Manchester.
    Close :p: What hall are you at, if any?

(Original post by CatexW)
    Close :p: What hall are you at, if any?
    Living out now, just off Platt Lane, but I was in Grosvenor Place

ReputationRep:
    I had all four of mine out this morning, don't do it unless you really need too, I feel horrible!

do it now. u suffer now for like 1-2weeks max after extraction.
    after that u dont have to worry about it anymore.

imo just do it and pay for it if u have to, unless u have trouble putting 3 meals on the table each day

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.