Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wisdom teeth extraction questions Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Living out now, just off Platt Lane, but I was in Grosvenor Place
    Nah, I was thinking of someone else then :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    hmm I'm thinking of just having them done where I am now mainly for convienience and insurance reasons I guess.

I dont' think they'll offer me general anasthetic here, but I intend to ask about IV or gas. I hate going to the dentist and even when they drill my teeth for fillings with local anasthetic it's like slaughtering a pig

I really dont' think a shot of lidocaine/novocaine is going to do much for cutting through my gums, breaking a layer of bone and drilling then cutting the impacted wisdom teeth into little pieces

what anasthetic did yous all use or intend to use?
    I had my gum cut open, the bone drilled and a canine pulled through under local and I was terrified of the extraction before. After you go through it once its not that bad. It hurt a bit when he was drilling near the root but that was because he was a pretentious sod who wouldn't give me a top up injection. Maybe that and gas... its much safer than a general

ReputationRep:
    I'm never going to get my wisdom teeth through apparently... no idea what this means for my other teeth but 'future hygiene' seems like a pretty poor reason for having them out :p: It's not even for the sake of your current oral hygiene! I'm no dentist obviously, but you know. I wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My two lower wisdom tooth are both impacted and was told like you that I needed to have them out. If I didn't have them out, my dentist said I risked also losing my big molars next to them. I had the first one out earlier on this month, and I'm having the other one out next year.

Prior to this I've never had any dental work done and I was scared witless. I had local anaesthetic and it was fine, over in about 10-15 minutes. For the rest of the afternoon it was a bit painful, but nothing that painkillers couldn't solve, and the from the following day I didn't need anymore pain relief. I would really really recommend having them out, if you don't now it will probably be a lot harder for them to take them out when they do cause you grief, and the pain they're supposed to cause when they go wrong is unbelievable.

I got it done on the NHS and I have to pay about £45 per tooth. If there's anything else you want to know about let me know, but I really would recommend getting them taken out. Much better on the long run.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Worst pain I've ever felt after it was taken out... But that might have been because the hole got infected... I swore I would never let them take out any more but for some reason I am going back to get another one out (hopefully all the ones i have left - apparently I have an extra one aswell!)
    I think its better to just get it done and out of the way now before I'm old, to know that its gone and wont bother you again. I've had pain on and off for months now - not good during exams! My advice is just get it out!! But be prepared for some pretty bad pain the few days after, and a swollen face too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    hmm it's a dentist abroad, so i'm hoping NHS dentist might feel the same way.

gl to you! what type anasthetic would you be using?
    Thanks. I just had general anasthetic (stabbling the needle in my hand was more painful that the experience itself haha) i definitely reccomend it. If you can get a written reccomendation for the Dr. abroad it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine removed on Friday (privately), and if you take plenty of painkillers then it's fine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.