Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm totally knew to the gym, 75kg, 6ft 1 and a bit skinny fat

What do I do in the gym? The only thing I know how to use is the treadmill lol :o:

But how long for? How often?

If I want to be lightly toned (some definition, not massive, bulky etc) what do I do exactly? What machines do I use?

I have a plan of going for 8 weeks, then just sorting out my diet and jogging regularly.

Is it feasible? What should I eat??

My current diet:

BREAKFAST: 2 weetabix, orange juice/coffee, banana

SNACK: Fruit, maybe a couple of biscuits

LUNCH: a sandwhich usually, tuna salad, drink, maybe some more fruit

DINNER: pasta, chicken/lamb, potatoes, veggies etc

SNACK: maybe a slice of cake if it's available, maybea slice of buttered toast

Drink about a litre of water a day, a cup of coffee and a cup of tea

Is this good?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1 litre of water per day? I think the recommended amount is 5.

ReputationRep:
    You can't really say "I will do X for only 8 weeks". It's a lifestyle change, not an eight week change. If you hit the weights for 8 weeks and then only jog after that, you'll build a little muscle (8 weeks isn't very long) and then become skinny (all joggers are slim).

Personally, I'd get on a good beginners weight-lifting routine (Starting Strength or Westside for Skinny *******s), maybe do some cardio on off days if you really want to. No, you won't get "bulky" - it takes years to do that. Stay away from resistance machines, they're mostly crap (and definitely crap for beginners). Diet wise, eat whole foods, high in protein. There's a section in the sticky on healthy eating. Personally I wouldn't try to lose weight. 75kg at 6ft1 isn't fat. Once you add some muscle to your frame you'll get the "toned" look you're after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    I heard having sex with your dog is good exercise.
    Reported for spamming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    1 litre of water per day? I think the recommended amount is 5.
    1 litre of bottled water. And cups of other drinks.

Reccommended = 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    You can't really say "I will do X for only 8 weeks". It's a lifestyle change, not an eight week change. If you hit the weights for 8 weeks and then only jog after that, you'll build a little muscle (8 weeks isn't very long) and then become skinny (all joggers are slim).

Personally, I'd get on a good beginners weight-lifting routine (Starting Strength or Westside for Skinny *******s), maybe do some cardio on off days if you really want to. No, you won't get "bulky" - it takes years to do that. Stay away from resistance machines, they're mostly crap (and definitely crap for beginners). Diet wise, eat whole foods, high in protein. There's a section in the sticky on healthy eating. Personally I wouldn't try to lose weight. 75kg at 6ft1 isn't fat. Once you add some muscle to your frame you'll get the "toned" look you're after.
    Thanks

Hmm, so ignore the treadmill/cross trainer/rower etc and just use the weights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopeful Waters)
    Thanks

Hmm, so ignore the treadmill/cross trainer/rower etc and just use the weights?
    Yep, then get rover to help you with endurance stuff

ReputationRep:
    any half decent gym will have staff that can work this out for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    Have you ever asked for a workout from gym staff and got anything remotely decent?

Id hazzard no. They're full of ****.

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt it. My gym is filled with tossers who know nothing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's unfair to say they're all full of **** when I know a good few online who are anything but.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It's unfair to say they're all full of **** when I know a good few online who are anything but.

No, it is very fair to say their full of ****. My gyms a council gym and all but 1 of the instructors just give the same crap to everyone, 'bike or cross trainer then some crappy machines'. Theres only 1 woman who actually understands effective training and teaches people to squat/deadlift etc. Though it is good, means the free weights are barely ever used
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    And the ones in your local council gym represent every single one in the world?

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you do a good range of activities, otherwise you'll be overworking/underworking muscle groups. Otherwise you can pretty much do as you see fit (see what I did thar )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Minority then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopeful Waters)
    Reported for spamming.
    How ironic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    Have you ever asked for a workout from gym staff and got anything remotely decent?

Id hazzard no. They're full of ****.
    well yea I have actually. My gym does this as standard, and you get a free session with a professional personal trainer as well. Maybe you should join a better gym with staff who know what they're doing?

ReputationRep:
    well yea I have actually. My gym does this as standard, and you get a free session with a professional personal trainer as well. Maybe you should join a better gym with staff who know what they're doing?
    No offence but I expect our definition of a decent program differs somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    No offence but I expect our definition of a decent program differs somewhat.
    well my I would say a decent programme is one that gets you the results you want :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well my I would say a decent programme is one that gets you the results you want :rolleyes:
    I would agree until you find a real programme and realise that old one wasnt optimal.

Depends on goals too. Any trainer can get someone to lose weight, adding some mass is a different issue.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.