Turn on thread page Beta

What do I do??? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm totally knew to the gym, 75kg, 6ft 1 and a bit skinny fat

What do I do in the gym? The only thing I know how to use is the treadmill lol :o:

But how long for? How often?

If I want to be lightly toned (some definition, not massive, bulky etc) what do I do exactly? What machines do I use?

I have a plan of going for 8 weeks, then just sorting out my diet and jogging regularly.

Is it feasible? What should I eat??

My current diet:

BREAKFAST: 2 weetabix, orange juice/coffee, banana

SNACK: Fruit, maybe a couple of biscuits

LUNCH: a sandwhich usually, tuna salad, drink, maybe some more fruit

DINNER: pasta, chicken/lamb, potatoes, veggies etc

SNACK: maybe a slice of cake if it's available, maybea slice of buttered toast

Drink about a litre of water a day, a cup of coffee and a cup of tea

Is this good?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1 litre of water per day? I think the recommended amount is 5.

ReputationRep:
    You can't really say "I will do X for only 8 weeks". It's a lifestyle change, not an eight week change. If you hit the weights for 8 weeks and then only jog after that, you'll build a little muscle (8 weeks isn't very long) and then become skinny (all joggers are slim).

Personally, I'd get on a good beginners weight-lifting routine (Starting Strength or Westside for Skinny *******s), maybe do some cardio on off days if you really want to. No, you won't get "bulky" - it takes years to do that. Stay away from resistance machines, they're mostly crap (and definitely crap for beginners). Diet wise, eat whole foods, high in protein. There's a section in the sticky on healthy eating. Personally I wouldn't try to lose weight. 75kg at 6ft1 isn't fat. Once you add some muscle to your frame you'll get the "toned" look you're after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sh4w)
    I heard having sex with your dog is good exercise.
    Reported for spamming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    1 litre of water per day? I think the recommended amount is 5.
    1 litre of bottled water. And cups of other drinks.

Reccommended = 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    You can't really say "I will do X for only 8 weeks". It's a lifestyle change, not an eight week change. If you hit the weights for 8 weeks and then only jog after that, you'll build a little muscle (8 weeks isn't very long) and then become skinny (all joggers are slim).

Personally, I'd get on a good beginners weight-lifting routine (Starting Strength or Westside for Skinny *******s), maybe do some cardio on off days if you really want to. No, you won't get "bulky" - it takes years to do that. Stay away from resistance machines, they're mostly crap (and definitely crap for beginners). Diet wise, eat whole foods, high in protein. There's a section in the sticky on healthy eating. Personally I wouldn't try to lose weight. 75kg at 6ft1 isn't fat. Once you add some muscle to your frame you'll get the "toned" look you're after.
    Thanks

Hmm, so ignore the treadmill/cross trainer/rower etc and just use the weights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopeful Waters)
    Thanks

Hmm, so ignore the treadmill/cross trainer/rower etc and just use the weights?
    Yep, then get rover to help you with endurance stuff

ReputationRep:
    any half decent gym will have staff that can work this out for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    Have you ever asked for a workout from gym staff and got anything remotely decent?

Id hazzard no. They're full of ****.

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt it. My gym is filled with tossers who know nothing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's unfair to say they're all full of **** when I know a good few online who are anything but.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It's unfair to say they're all full of **** when I know a good few online who are anything but.

No, it is very fair to say their full of ****. My gyms a council gym and all but 1 of the instructors just give the same crap to everyone, 'bike or cross trainer then some crappy machines'. Theres only 1 woman who actually understands effective training and teaches people to squat/deadlift etc. Though it is good, means the free weights are barely ever used
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    And the ones in your local council gym represent every single one in the world?

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you do a good range of activities, otherwise you'll be overworking/underworking muscle groups. Otherwise you can pretty much do as you see fit (see what I did thar )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Minority then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopeful Waters)
    Reported for spamming.
    How ironic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    Have you ever asked for a workout from gym staff and got anything remotely decent?

Id hazzard no. They're full of ****.
    well yea I have actually. My gym does this as standard, and you get a free session with a professional personal trainer as well. Maybe you should join a better gym with staff who know what they're doing?

ReputationRep:
    well yea I have actually. My gym does this as standard, and you get a free session with a professional personal trainer as well. Maybe you should join a better gym with staff who know what they're doing?
    No offence but I expect our definition of a decent program differs somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    No offence but I expect our definition of a decent program differs somewhat.
    well my I would say a decent programme is one that gets you the results you want :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well my I would say a decent programme is one that gets you the results you want :rolleyes:
    I would agree until you find a real programme and realise that old one wasnt optimal.

Depends on goals too. Any trainer can get someone to lose weight, adding some mass is a different issue.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.