Turn on thread page Beta

Old teacher retiring - ideas? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know is going to sound really geeky at first, but oh well.

I'm now 20 and at University, but I was taught by an absolutely wonderful teacher from year 7 up until 6th form. When our year left, she moved schools and went from full-time to part-time due to ill health.

Anyway, I've just heard that she's retiring which shocked me in itself because she's one of those people that you never believe is actually going to stop doing anything. She taught for around 30 years and had the most profound effect on people you can imagine - she is the most passionate woman I know, an inspiration to everyone that has met her and just fantastic, basically. She felt like family rather than a teacher, and most of my friends feel the same way.

We want to do something or give her something to show how much we appreciate all she's done for us and the people that she's taught over the years, but we are stuck for ideas.

Any suggestions? +reps for the best

ReputationRep:
    A nice cake. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Just stay in touch with her

ReputationRep:
    A massive heart-shaped white board with all your class's signatures on it in permanent marker :grin: Although i have no idea where you can find a heart shaped white board :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Get her a photo board, (massive frame with a board inside and photos and messages written on it).

That, or a personalised bobble head. =D

ReputationRep:
    What does she teach?

My geology teacher has just retired, and we clubbed £2 each between 15 of us, and I made him a book on iPhoto of all the photos taken on our Geology field trips, and got people to write messages which were printed in the book.

Both my maths teachers are leaving this year too, so again, between 10 of us we chipped in £3 and bought some maths t-shirts off the internet - they've got pi and e on and are awesome.

Also, when we were looking on the internet, they do loads of science t-shirts.

If it's a language/history teacher, how about a limited edition book, but I'm not sure how much that would cost.

ReputationRep:
    Accusations of child molestation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalaf)
    A massive heart-shaped white board with all your class's signatures on it in permanent marker :grin: Although i have no idea where you can find a heart shaped white board :tongue:
    Cut up a normal white board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    A bit harsh.
    You might as well say:
    a coffin :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Cut up a normal white board?
    Yea i was thinking about that as well but it would probably go horribly wrong and have dangerously sharp edges. Not exactly a great goodbye gift :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    A bit harsh.
    You might as well say:
    a coffin :mad:
    But that would be disrespectful. What if he wanted to be cremated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Ha, incidentally, one teacher from our old school did get that.
    AND he got jailed as a result.

But this (non-molesty) teacher was an English teacher.

And thank you for the suggestions so far it just seems like she deserves something so much bigger but we're not sure what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    But that would be disrespectful. What if he wanted to be cremated?
    The coffin could double as firewood.
    Yeah I'm going to say any kind of pre-emptive funeral arrangements would be really bad taste. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malleablegrace)
    Ha, incidentally, one teacher from our old school did get that.
    AND he got jailed as a result.

But this (non-molesty) teacher was an English teacher.

And thank you for the suggestions so far it just seems like she deserves something so much bigger but we're not sure what.
    Give us some information then..Budget? Anything she likes that could influence the gift?

ReputationRep:
    when the most awesome PE teacher :love: retired we got an old girls PE top and got everyone to sign it for her :bigsmile: So I think something that's personal and sentimental would be a good idea :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Stripogram.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalaf)
    Give us some information then..Budget? Anything she likes that could influence the gift?
    Budget... erm, probably max £50.
    English teacher, 60-something, very dramatic and passionate. Quite Shakespearian about everything, ha. She has also had cancer before so definitely no mention of funerals !!

(Original post by Fawn)
    You're being very naughty.

Keep this up and you'll be getting a spanking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    You're being very naughty.

Keep this up and you'll be getting a spanking.
    That's what she said :'(

(Original post by Fawn)
    That's what she said :'(
    Are you sure you're female? :hmmm:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.