Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think that education (UK) pushes you towards exams/qualifications too much? watch

ReputationRep:
    I personally think they do. Too much testing imo.

ReputationRep:
    No, not compared to places like Hong Kong.

yeah compared to russia it's pretty chillaxed actually imo :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Majorly, there is a massive emphasis on exams and little on scholarly development. You have to wait for Uni for that trend to reverse.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    No, not compared to places like Hong Kong.
    (Original post by *BCM*)
    yeah compared to russia it's pretty chillaxed actually imo :rolleyes:
    Do you not have an opinion on what it's like without comparison to other countries? You can name plenty of countries it's better than, but I'm sure I can name plenty of countries it's worse than...

Anyway, I don't think it's far too exam-oriented, I just think the exams are ****. If the exams tested more than exam technique, I'd be quite happy with an exam-dedicated system; it just so happens that GCSE is interested in teaching and testing nothing more than "transferable skills", and AS/A2 are the first time we get any real taste of the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I see it like, your not being taught much of that subject, you're only being taught to pass the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with other posters that we are taught to pass tests.
    GCSEs destroyed some of the interest I had in subjects.
    I despise History now because I didn't learn about History, I learned how to pass OCR spec B History or whatever it was.

ReputationRep:
    I'd think so. Obviously there are various education systems around the world that are worse and more extreme some could say. However, I feel that the education here is tailored on exam technique and answering questions strategically...rather than actually learning the stuff properly. Also, the syllubuses (or syllubi?) just take a short cut, they are so limiting. Every year as the content gets more advance I find out that last year's theory is not the correct one but used for convention (just to make it suitable for teaching at a lower level).

I think there needs to be an improved balance of knowledge and application of that knowledge. I've come across many instances where students who don't know as much have done better than those who do just because they have better exam technique and are strategically able to write the answer in a way that will give them full marks.

I know that switzerland's education system is incredible, all universities are obliged to accept every single swiss born student automatically regardless of their grades, no matter if they have the best or worst grades they must accept them into the university. This includes switzerland's world class ETH Zurich uni, many rank its science programmes equal to that of Imperial. The universities then have the first year as a preperation year for the actual degree and tests are done in the end, those that pass are able to carry on and start the course and those that fail are out. I think this is a much better system as it eliminates the element of bad luck in application processes like we do in the UK (where people with AAA get rejections for courses) and also allows students who may not neccessarily have been performing well at pre-university level to actually do well at degree level.

(Original post by generalebriety)
    Do you not have an opinion on what it's like without comparison to other countries? You can name plenty of countries it's better than, but I'm sure I can name plenty of countries it's worse than...
    a) it's very useful to compare things, it gives a better sense of perspective - it's easier to say whether something is "too much" by comparison
    b) nowhere did i say it's better or worse, i said it's "chillaxed" :rolleyes:

if considering the UK education on an absolute level as opposed to a relative level, however, yes i do agree that "exam technique" as you said is given too much emphasis, and this even carries through to A level to some extent - but then i would imagine that building a highly standardised system to test all students in the country at the same level would carry with it some drawbacks such as this - in the end it usually gets the job done, non? - if you learn the stuff you get your grade, simple as that - and as a result in absolute terms there will of course be pressure to achieve the grades

ReputationRep:
    Whilst exams are necessary to test our understanding, in most subjects, the exams are inappropriate, that is, you can get around the 'understanding' bit, and just practice answering in the way that examiners want you to. Moreover, the importance of exams in our education is overemphasised to the point that we are no longer studying, say, Mathematics, but we are studying, say, the Edexcel 2004 Specification etc. etc. in school, and anything that wouldn't come up in exams is ignored, unless you go to a very good school or happen to have a very good teacher.

ReputationRep:
    I think that also, people are made to believe that exams are the be all and end all. This is totally not true, as you can work your way up, or get enough work experience in things, or even go to college. They are important, but they aren't everything.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, OP. That's all it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)

Anyway, I don't think it's far too exam-oriented, I just think the exams are ****. If the exams tested more than exam technique, I'd be quite happy with an exam-dedicated system; it just so happens that GCSE is interested in teaching and testing nothing more than "transferable skills", and AS/A2 are the first time we get any real taste of the subject.
    Sure, point taken. Even on it's own, I don't think there are too many exams. IIRC, we only have 90 minutes for each modular paper for A-level, 3 modules per subject, and assume you do 4 subjects, it's only 18 hours of exams in a year, or 3 minutes of testing per day, assuming you go to school 365 days a year.

ReputationRep:
    I think far too many A-levels focus on exam technique. However, I quite like it in maths - without method marks I would fail :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's pretty pathetic that practically half of this year was taking exams and not learning anything new :mad2:.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's and further exams are all about learning from the syllabus and nothing else!

I wish people had more respect for apprenticeships and other more useful/practical ways of learning!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. GCSE's are just learning to pass exams, not teaching anything. I remember walking out RE exam thinking 'never have to do RE again' which is the complete wrong attitude to have, but it's just because our education is rammed down our throats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused_guy)
    I wish people had more respect for apprenticeships and other more useful/practical ways of learning!
    I completely agree with you. My cousin did a NOVA course at Catering alongside his GCSE's. He's turning 18 next month, but is already raking in lots of cash! He landed well on his feet, at a very nice restaurant, and is bringing home £80 tips a month!

And you know what, he loves it. I hate to admit it, but he's an amazing chef. He makes the best food!

Yet, he didn't have to go Uni to do 'Food Studies' or whatever, he's making money straight the way and not having to pay off ridiculous student debt.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, but hopefully things are improving, I mean, they've scrapped SATs.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for University. At Least there I'll be doing subjects with no fixed curriculum (I think!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.