Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i have heard new batche xbox consoles have a lot of faults in them and seem to go back for repairs or exchanges, is this true?

i am looking to purchase one, prob arcade 360 tomorow or so

has anyone else recently bought an xbox + did it have any problems. thanks

ReputationRep:
    i go on games websites pretty much every day and i haven't seen any news stories about this, so as far as i am aware unreliability is only a problem with the oldest 360s.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok, thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    arcades are not reliable, mine has just broke after 4 months. Your best bet is an elite version but there more expensive. Just becareful if you buy an arcade, try to get one first hand of you do because if there second hand there most likely the old batch and will break after a shorter period.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that the x box 360 won't be around for much longer - whereas the PS3 has alot more potential which hasn't been realised yet

But meh, if you're sure you want a 360, practically every friend who has one hasn't had one, but has had several :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    i go on games websites pretty much every day and i haven't seen any news stories about this, so as far as i am aware unreliability is only a problem with the oldest 360s.
    This

The latest 360s are ok, they've got the latest cooling chips and a HDMI port (Not that it matters lol)

I've had 4 360s now, first one blew up day I got it, powerpack went, then got red lights 2 years later, then got the E74 error after that was repaired, so I bought a new one, wasn't having a dodgy old one anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normalothercitrusfruit)
    I've heard that the x box 360 won't be around for much longer - whereas the PS3 has alot more potential which hasn't been realised yet
    Because noone has bought a PS3 :rolleyes:

To the OP: Ive had my 360 elite for over 2 years now and its fine. Never broke/overheated once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    What do you mean xbox 360 won't be around for much longer ? 2015 ?
    Where did you get that from?

The 360 is becoming outdated now, lack of blu-ray etc. etc., the PS3 is still very modern technology so has alot more potential in it yet - that's what I read

ReputationRep:
    Brother has had his xbox 360 since the 12 may 2005 ( When it came out ) , and hasn't had one problem at all. Just make sure you keep it in an open and cool place , don't overuse it , and don't play the same game for to long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelancastrian)
    Because noone has bought a PS3 :rolleyes:

To the OP: Ive had my 360 elite for over 2 years now and its fine. Never broke/overheated once.
    I have, but it's completely a matter of personal choice.

I'd rather pay more for a console up front and get wireless internet, free access to the playstation network and a blu-ray player - the 360 on the other hand has lots of hidden costs as lots of extras are needed to be able to play online etc.

But there's really not much to choose between them tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rishi08)
    i have heard new batche xbox consoles have a lot of faults in them and seem to go back for repairs or exchanges, is this true?

i am looking to purchase one, prob arcade 360 tomorow or so

has anyone else recently bought an xbox + did it have any problems. thanks
    the faults occured with the first series of xbox 360 consoles. They had a problem known as the RROD (red ring of death). Microsoft have fixed this problem with the newer consoles as these have new motherboards. My year old 360 has been working fine. If the 360 has hdmi, you can guarantee it has the new motherboard and will work great.

Even if it somehow gets faulty, microsoft exchanges it within 3 days. Very good service.

But meh, if you're sure you want a 360, practically every friend who has one hasn't had one, but has had several :p:
    Of course microsoft are gonna release a successor to the 360. It will prob be in 2-3 years time by the time which ps4 will also be released. 360 has got some years to run and theres good stuff coming for it like project natal etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    arcades are not reliable, mine has just broke after 4 months. Your best bet is an elite version but there more expensive. Just becareful if you buy an arcade, try to get one first hand of you do because if there second hand there most likely the old batch and will break after a shorter period.
    Because one person's experience is a true representation of every Arcade console (which, with the newer batches now having an HDMI port, are now pretty much the same as the other consoles). As others have said, it's the first batches, of all versions, that had the problems. The new batches are much more reliable (though that's not to say they definitely will not have any problems).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2006)

Of course microsoft are gonna release a successor to the 360. It will prob be in 2-3 years time by the time which ps4 will also be released. 360 has got some years to run and theres good stuff coming for it like project natal etc.
    The technology in a 360 just isn't as up-to-date as what's inside a PS3, therefore the 360 won't be around for as long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Because one person's experience is a true representation of every Arcade console (which, with the newer batches now having an HDMI port, are now pretty much the same as the other consoles). As others have said, it's the first batches, of all versions, that had the problems. The new batches are much more reliable (though that's not to say they definitely will not have any problems).
    next time read properly, i basically said the same thing avoid the old batches

ReputationRep:
    Where did you get that from?

The 360 is becoming outdated now, lack of blu-ray etc. etc., the PS3 is still very modern technology so has alot more potential in it yet - that's what I read
    Outdated now ?. So when do you think a new console will come out ?. Like PS3 + 1 ( Epic name :awesome: ) or the Xbox 720i ?. Surely not in the near future ?.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine for around a year and then it got the RROD, I sent it back and two months later I have RROD again. It's so annoying. Luckily, I have a second xbox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    next time read properly, i basically said the same thing avoid the old batches
    I was more referring to the very first sentence of your post: 'arcades are not reliable,' suggesting all Arcades are unreliable, because 'mine has just broke after 4 months.' I assumed that by 'just' you mean your's is a new batch, hence my explanation.

ReputationRep:
    The technology in a 360 just isn't as up-to-date as what's inside a PS3, therefore the 360 won't be around for as long
    Erm the GPU in the 360 is better than that of the PS3's, which is fundamental in HD gaming. Most multi-plats look better (if only slight) on the 360 because of this, and how complicated and expensive the SDK is for the PS3.

ReputationRep:
    I got a 60gb "Pro" console last week, works fine. It's a little quieter then my Elite downstairs though (which I have had since they were released years back and still works fine!), and I think it has one of the newer, less power hungry processors, though I haven't been bothered to look into it.

Also, while I have long since given up on the 360 vs PS3 arguments, the comment about the 360 not lasting as long is ********. Quick run down as to why:

1) Hardware is performing fine, it doesn't need updating. At the moment it is still keeping up (and outperforming in most instances) the PS3.

2) Microsoft are continuously keeping the 360 fresh through updates via Live. The machine has evolved A LOT since it's 2005 release and new features will be coming through for some time yet.

3) Natal is predicted for release sometime in 2010 for ALL current Xbox 360 hardware. Microsoft are investing a lot in Natal and need it to take away momentum from the Wii and crush the PS3's wand. Therefore why release something so major on a current generation console which is supposedly out of date?

Don't expect a replacement for the 360 until 2013.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaywa)
    Erm the GPU in the 360 is better than that of the PS3's, which is fundamental in HD gaming. Most multi-plats look better (if only slight) on the 360 because of this, and how complicated and expensive the SDK is for the PS3.
    this.

The only thing really the PS3 has over the 360 is Bluray. We are starting to see more and more devs say the storage space of DVD is becoming an issue.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.