Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I went and had my eyes tested at "specsavers" and they gave me a sheet which tells me the results of my eyetest.

It says RIGHT eye and has three catogeries "sph" "cyl" and "axis", and then this is repeated for the LEFT eye.

1) what do these stand for and what do they mean/measure?

2) can you tell me which numbers are good and bad for each catogry because iv got my numbers and i want to know if they are good or bad.
    i.e which number is the best and which is the worst

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyeglass_prescription

Google... how to read eye test results, or similar.

Amazing how much information you can find if you actually look.

ReputationRep:
    i have searched but i dont really understand the websites

I understand it as the further the numbers are away from 0 the worse your eyesight is, well my prescription has numbers like -0.5 etc and I need glasses all the time but not strong ones.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the further away from 0, the worse your eyes are. Mine are -3.5 in one eye and -3.75 in the other (cant remember which eye is which). I wear my glasses all the time or I cant see a lot lol but I wouldnt say I bad eyesight tbh. It normally goes up to around -10. This is the SPH column- basically how short or long sighted you are (+ is long sighted, - is short).

The CYL is to do with astigmatism. I dont have any astigmatism, but it is to do with the shape of your eye. The axis column is related to the astigmatism, it tells you like the angle of the astigmatism?

Hope this makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    I'm around -10. My mother is worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry_princess)
    Yeah the further away from 0, the worse your eyes are. Mine are -3.5 in one eye and -3.75 in the other (cant remember which eye is which). I wear my glasses all the time or I cant see a lot lol but I wouldnt say I bad eyesight tbh. It normally goes up to around -10. This is the SPH column- basically how short or long sighted you are (+ is long sighted, - is short).

The CYL is to do with astigmatism. I dont have any astigmatism, but it is to do with the shape of your eye. The axis column is related to the astigmatism, it tells you like the angle of the astigmatism?

Hope this makes sense.
    There are -12 -13 prescriptions out there.
    I'm -11 with my astigmatism. My astimatism is -4 which is considered severe.

Come on OP - tell us what you got! lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)

Sorry lol! :o: I just meant the MAJORITY will be under -10, as thats pretty severe... so you're just a minority hehe! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happydinosaur)
    I understand it as the further the numbers are away from 0 the worse your eyesight is.
    Not always. Somewhere on the prescription, it'll say something like 6/12 and 6/24. That tells you how bad your sight is. (bigger the number on the right, the worse your sight is) The number correspond to the lines on the eye chart.

My prescription doesn't have anything like that but I guess it doesn't matter. It's just Sphere:-0.75 Cyl:-1.00 Axis:80 etc
    I suppose as a general rule to understand it though if you've got numbers like -7.00 then your going to have troublesome eyesight...surely? No?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)

i got 0 and 0 and i dont know about the cyl and axis sorry

ReputationRep:
    So you've got normal vision then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm -6.50 (left) and -7.00 (right)

I think my eyesight has got even worse aswell :sad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.