Turn on thread page Beta

Oh great, i won't be going uni then! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just tried to do the student finance application, filled it all out and it says i'm not entitled to student finance!

Why is this?! Is it because i done 6 months of a course once before, although i only got the maintainence grant then? FFS i knew my offer on the course was too good to be true. Back to the crappy job i hate then it is for me.

ReputationRep:
    What happened to last course you were on?

You should consider contacting student finance and talking to them directly about your case.

ReputationRep:
    Doing 6 months of a course before shouldn't affect it as far as I'm aware. Is there anything else you think might be the reason why you're not entitled? But yeah, contact them.

ReputationRep:
    You get a 'false start' year, so usually your 6 months wouldn't affect you.
    Do you owe SF money?

ReputationRep:
    I don't owe them money as far as i am aware. Well actually i would because they gave me two payments while i was on my previous course, but i haven't been earning £15,000 a year in my current job so haven't paid any back yet. Maybe i have to get a job and pay off the payments i received before i can apply for it again? How confused am i, i can't find any info on their site about why i might be declined student finance! I must be looking in the wrong place!

ReputationRep:
    No you don't have to pay them back yet. I have still got money from when they paid me from my previous course last year. Maybe you filled in some of the boxes incorrectly? Try doing the application again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peppapig)
    I don't owe them money as far as i am aware. Well actually i would because they gave me two payments while i was on my previous course, but i haven't been earning £15,000 a year in my current job so haven't paid any back yet. Maybe i have to get a job and pay off the payments i received before i can apply for it again? How confused am i, i can't find any info on their site about why i might be declined student finance! I must be looking in the wrong place!
    If you quit part-way through a year, you'll need to have paid them back before you take more off them. The 'over £15,000' rule only applies to those who completed full years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    If you quit part-way through a year, you'll need to have paid them back before you take more off them. The 'over £15,000' rule only applies to those who completed full years.
    Oh ok, thanks. What a pile of doo

Also, why haven't they written to me to ask me to pay it back? They know my address and telephone number! I didn't know the £15,000 rule. They need to make things more clear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    No you don't have to pay them back yet. I have still got money from when they paid me from my previous course last year. Maybe you filled in some of the boxes incorrectly? Try doing the application again?
    I can't do the application again, it won't let me open it. Says its been sent to student finance to be assessed, but its already been assessed because when i submitted it came up with the message i wasn't entitled.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, will probably be best to phone them up tomorrow if this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    How much do you owe? If you can pay it by September, you might get finance. If not, I don't think you will, until you have cleared your debt.

Agreed that they are idiots, though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i will do thanks. Not that it will change anything if thats their rule! grr

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar issue as you. I got student finance in a first course, then quit. I get the finance now, but I have to pay them a minimum of £5 a month via direct debit towards the second payment that they gave me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    I had a similar issue as you. I got student finance in a first course, then quit. I get the finance now, but I have to pay them a minimum of £5 a month via direct debit towards the second payment that they gave me.
    So you were able to get the funding for a second course then? Do you think they will let me do this? I'm willing to pay as much back as they want me to each week/month, well within reason because i still have to eat and pay bills/rent! lol How did you sort it out with them? How long did it take for them to agree? Sorry for all the questions but there may be light at the end of the tunnel after all, i hope so anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Phone them and talk about it. If you've only done 6 months of a course, I doubt it would be a problem.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Oh ok, thanks. What a pile of doo

Also, why haven't they written to me to ask me to pay it back? They know my address and telephone number! I didn't know the £15,000 rule. They need to make things more clear!
    You have to pay back any overpayment of grants, but any loan paid doesn't have to be repaid til you're earning over £15,000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You have to pay back any overpayment of grants, but any loan paid doesn't have to be repaid til you're earning over £15,000
    Ok, how do i find out if i have been overpaid? Is there a way i can find out now on the web?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ok, how do i find out if i have been overpaid? Is there a way i can find out now on the web?
    You can try logging into your student finance account and seeing if that tells you. You'll need all the details though. Or this site might help, but you'll need the same details

ReputationRep:
    So you were able to get the funding for a second course then? Do you think they will let me do this? I'm willing to pay as much back as they want me to each week/month, well within reason because i still have to eat and pay bills/rent! lol How did you sort it out with them? How long did it take for them to agree? Sorry for all the questions but there may be light at the end of the tunnel after all, i hope so anyway!
    I just sorted it on the phone with them. Yeah, they give me the funding for the second course as usual. I did sort out the payment before applying for student finance again though, so not sure how long it will take to sort. They wanted me to pay all of what I owed them at first, in one lump sum, but obviously I can't afford that! But yeah, the best thing to do is call them ASAP. I think there'll always be SOME way to get finance for uni, so you shouldn't worry too much. Unis themselves always seem quite willing to give money out!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.