Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I the only ones sick of know it all musicians? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only ones who are sick of newbie musicians who they think they are the only ones to know about the latest fashion, hottest clubs and newest sounds; like us ordinary people have never heard of them before?

What's happened to real talent? Lady Gaga is popular because she does things to get attention, instead of having an endearing personality.

Lets face it none of these "edgy acts", are any different from the millions of teens who did it way back in the 60's, 70's and beyond. The only difference is they had talent.

ReputationRep:
    But is that not pretty much what you are doing when you call Lady Gaga a "no talent person"?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, show me these non attention seeking celebrities please.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you need to chill out and stop getting wrapped up in 'celebrity'. Read a book, take a walk...

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I tend to ignore celebs anyway. I just listen to the music as that's the most important thing. Everything else is secondary :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Maybe you need to chill out and stop getting wrapped up in 'celebrity'. Read a book, take a walk...
    I'm focusing on musicians really. I get really annoyed when I see artists who are cited as the new big things and they haven't done anything to earn the title. If people like Miley Cyrus can get a record deal then the music scene is really crap isn't it.

ReputationRep:
    yeh it annoys me. my brothers band is excellent (its kind of alternative rock) and a million times better musically and generally than any act out there at the moment (apart from older ones like radiohead). they are amazing live, i went to glasto this year and i swear they are better live than most of the acts there!
    its so rubbish that artists with hardly any talent can get a deal and a really good band with great song writing and musical skills cant. ahh well. rant over.

ReputationRep:
    k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shake 'n Bake)
    I'm focusing on musicians really. I get really annoyed when I see artists who are cited as the new big things and they haven't done anything to earn the title. If people like Miley Cyrus can get a record deal then the music scene is really crap isn't it.
    Ha. I'd have to agree somewhat with that, but each to their own I guess and she obviously makes a lot of tweens happy. Some of the artists I like may not be to others' taste but it doesn't mean they shouldn't produce records.
    Live n' let live I say - they're bringing joy to somebody somewhere, I'll just switch off the radio if I don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, did somebody call Lady Gaga a musician?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Wait, did somebody call Lady Gaga a musician?
    I don't see why that is a problem. :confused:

At the very least she's a very entertaining and successful songwriter.

It confuses me that people harken back to glory-days that they weren't even alive for to suggest that the music industry was ever about anything other than who could successfully sell the most records.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused as to why people keep using lady gaga as an example for the untalented individuals that are present in the music scene at the moment. Compared to some of the tripe out there, she's pretty good in my opinion. She was a successful song writer in her own right before she came into the public eye and continues to write all her own material. She's a pretty decent performer as well, and i'm not that bigger fan.

I get the feeling that unless someone constantly has a guitar in their hands then lots of people don't respect them as a musical talent, which is absolute rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanderlust)
    I don't see why that is a problem. :confused:

At the very least she's a very entertaining and successful songwriter.
    Entertaining is of course subjective, but I will concede that I was unaware that she was in fact a songwriter. She hides it well. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Entertaining is of course subjective, but I will concede that I was unaware that she was in fact a songwriter. She hides it well. :p:
    Can't she hide her face as well?

ReputationRep:
    Lady Gaga pretty much sprang to mind straight away. No beef musically (I actually quite like The Fame), but her musings/scene in general seem a bit pretentious to me :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Lada Gaga fan but her lyrics are at least better than the girls in pop at the tail end of the 90s and so on. Really, it could be a lot worse.

ReputationRep:
    e.g pete doherty
    e.g phoenix
    e.g the kooks
    e.g john mayer
    e.g half the population

get over it

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I just tend to listen to their music and voice my opinion on just that, that is really what its all about. We got lost along the way when we became obsessed about their lives

ReputationRep:
    The industry has always been focused on money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shake 'n Bake)
    Am I the only ones who are sick of newbie musicians who they think they are the only ones to know about the latest fashion, hottest clubs and newest sounds; like us ordinary people have never heard of them before?

What's happened to real talent? Lady Gaga is popular because she does things to get attention, instead of having an endearing personality.

Lets face it none of these "edgy acts", are any different from the millions of teens who did it way back in the 60's, 70's and beyond. The only difference is they had talent.
    You don't have to listen to the commercial stuff out there. I listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan these days.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.