Turn on thread page Beta

Am I the only ones sick of know it all musicians? watch

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't have this problem if you stopped caring about ***** music

ReputationRep:
    Methinks you need a new hobby OP.

Though, Lady Gaga is the first I thought of when I saw the title etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gouse)
    e.g pete doherty
    e.g phoenix
    e.g the kooks
    e.g john mayer
    e.g half the population

get over it
    Yet you listen to Blink 182.

John Mayer is one of the most talented pop/blues guitarist and songwriter of our generation; The Kooks are responsible for creating some of the catchiest feel good songs of the 00's; Phoenix have some glimpses of brilliance in them, just because you listened to their last album and thought it was bland it doesn't mean anything really.

ReputationRep:
    "It's not what you know, it's who you blow" - Superhands :')

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that know-it-all musicians are the problem. The problem is It celebrities, rather - people that get famous for no reason, seeing as they have no talent. E.g. Wags and Miley Cyrus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    You wouldn't have this problem if you stopped caring about ***** music
    Wow. That's sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    Wow. That's sad.
    Sorry for my potential ambiguity, I wasn't saying "stop caring about music generally, as it's *****", more "stop caring about the particular segments of music that are *****, and seem to be causing your problem"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Sorry for my potential ambiguity, I wasn't saying "stop caring about music generally, as it's *****", more "stop caring about the particular segments of music that are *****, and seem to be causing your problem"
    Oh ok, I got it. :p:

That would be much easier to do if music wasn't such crap nowadays, wouldn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Methinks you need a new hobby OP.

Though, Lady Gaga is the first I thought of when I saw the title etc.
    I'm a musician, unfortunately this is my hobby.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, from the title I thought this was gonna be about sick-of-it-all for a split second! However I do agree with the OP but I tend to pay so little attention to these sh+t acts that it doesn't get to me. They come and go. Swiftly hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Lady Gaga, the newbie musician that's been performing in clubs since the age of 14...

I don't understand this- "What's happened to real talent? Lady Gaga is popular because she does things to get attention, instead of having an endearing personality."

Firstly it seems as if you think talent and personality go hand-in-hand, when they don't, and secondly, I disagree anyway. I don't know what bands you like so I'll have to use mine instead for the examples. Siouxsie And The Banshees: talented? Yes. Attention-seeking? Definitely. Patrick Wolf: talented? Yes. Attention-seeking? Definitely. Now repeat the question, but substituting in David Bowie, Robots In Disguise, Florence & The Machine, Adam Ant, and loads of other people.

Lady Gaga isn't even that popular, there's an incredible number of 'hilarious' threads about her having a ****, or looking like a man, or not being sexy, or dressing badly or anything else people say about her, and barely anyone defends her on them.

No one has to respond to the attention seeking, but if people want to talk more about a sheer jumpsuit and tit tape than researching her and finding out she's very talented musically, then she can't help that.

"Lets face it none of these "edgy acts", are any different from the millions of teens who did it way back in the 60's, 70's and beyond. The only difference is they had talent."

They also had material. They were edgy when they started because it hadn't been done before, that's why everything was so political, that's why Siouxsie, the SEX clients and the rest of the punks could walk around in fetish gear and have people afraid of them, that's why X-Ray Spex could have a critically acclaimed album about being in a consumer society and no one pointed out the irony. How is Lou Reed and his song about Warhol's tranvestite prostitutes, drag queens, and film stars anymore credible than Gaga's songs about drugs and partying? What makes "And the coloured girls go do-do-do, do-do do-do-do, do-do-do-do, do-do-do" any more legendary than anything that she's sung about? You want her to be different, and when she is then people say she's attention seeking and trying to be different, can't have it all ways...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.