Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 19 and have pretty dark-yellow teeth, which are also very crooked. I can't afford braces for at least two years, so was hoping to get my teeth whitened for a bit of a confidence boost. My local dentist does teeth whitening (using at home trays) for £200, which would be ideal, but only if the effect lasts.

I wouldn't pay that much if the teeth only stayed "non-yellow" for 1-2 years, but if I'm looking at 3-4+ I'd go for it. I don't mind my teeth gradually turning cream/offwhite after a year or two, but I don't want to have actual yellow teeth again.

I've cut down on how much tea/coffee I drink, only 2 cups or less of caffeneited drinks a day, otherwise I just drink water, milk or orange juice through a straw. Would this be enough to stain?

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you don't over do it though as to much whitening then whenever you smile your teeth will glow in the dark. lol

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, i had the home whiteing trays done last year, last March to be exact. my teeth were really yellow to start with and went a really nice shade of white by the end, however they say it usualys last 1-2 years, its been just under a year and a half since i had mine done now and they are still noticbly whiter although they have began to fade and am considerly doingit again in the next year if i can afford it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chp89)
    Hiya, i had the home whiteing trays done last year, last March to be exact. my teeth were really yellow to start with and went a really nice shade of white by the end, however they say it usualys last 1-2 years, its been just under a year and a half since i had mine done now and they are still noticbly whiter although they have began to fade and am considerly doingit again in the next year if i can afford it
    which did u use?

ReputationRep:
    Not long enough . I used whitening trays about a year ago, and it seems to be fading already. Though people who know me do still tell me I have really white teeth still they are starting to look horribly yellow to me.

ReputationRep:
    What about whitening toothpaste?? Do they actually work?

ReputationRep:
    I usually get mine done every 16-18 months.

(Original post by bikipip)
    It depends on many factors, such as the the strength of the whitening and how you take care of your teeth afterwards. For example, if you smoke and drink, your teeth will yellow faster. Usually I get away with once a year minimum.
    I'm a non smoker/drinker. When you say a year minimum, is that a year before they start fading, or a year till they are yellow again? Because I only really want offwhite/cream teeth, just normal like everybody else. So if they were quite white after getting it done, would they fade to a normal cream after a year or two?

ReputationRep:
    i think the brand i used was called 'opalessense' (cant remmeber how to spell it lol)

ReputationRep:
    I got mine done over a year ago and they are yellow again, not as bad as they were but not white that's for sure.

I had a top up a month ago to make them whiter and they whitened, but already they are turning yellow again, it's annoying me. It just isn't lasting, I think maybe the water here is to blame.
    I'll be re-rewhitening them a week before Uni, so might be able to leave it for another year after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 19 and have pretty dark-yellow teeth, which are also very crooked. I can't afford braces for at least two years, so was hoping to get my teeth whitened for a bit of a confidence boost. My local dentist does teeth whitening (using at home trays) for £200, which would be ideal, but only if the effect lasts.

I wouldn't pay that much if the teeth only stayed "non-yellow" for 1-2 years, but if I'm looking at 3-4+ I'd go for it. I don't mind my teeth gradually turning cream/offwhite after a year or two, but I don't want to have actual yellow teeth again.

I've cut down on how much tea/coffee I drink, only 2 cups or less of caffeneited drinks a day, otherwise I just drink water, milk or orange juice through a straw. Would this be enough to stain?
    Also to point out, it wouldn't cost £200 a time. If you're using home trays they will take a mould of your upper and lower jaws and produce trays tailored to your teeth. If you wanted to top up, it would cost you something like £20 for 4 tubes of carbine. :yes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.