Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how come most phsychotherapists are women? Watch

ReputationRep:
    just wondering!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_laura_c_x)
    just wondering!
    Women are generally more understanding and emotionally involved than men?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with zKlown- women think with their brains. We all know what men think with.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the number of girls who take psychology at uni, it's probs cos it's almost entirely a girl's subject.

ReputationRep:
    The same reason most men are city bankers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkin'Butterfly)
    The same reason most men are city bankers.
    Whats that then?

ReputationRep:
    Because being a psychotherapist involves talking a load of bolloxs most the time which women excel at.

Cracker they ain't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by René Artois)
    Whats that then?
    Men have more of the traits needed to be a successful banker

ReputationRep:
    Because women are more patient then men(when it comes to other people), and can sit there and listen to someone else's problems?

Surprisingly though, all their work is dependent on the research done by men such as Freud, Piaget, Maslow....

Funny how it all works out in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Its a soft science and alot easier to grasp.

ReputationRep:
    more in touch with capacities for empathetic thought.

ReputationRep:
    Because we're psychos?

It's probably because we have more the "caring traits" required for the position?

ReputationRep:
    THEY LOVE TO JUDGE!

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I once had a psychotherapist, who just happened to be a woman.
    But I think I'd rather have had a man. She was the biggest ***** I've ever had to put up with. so many mental health workers are absolutely evil. Not saying they all are, but there's certainly a majority in my experience. Anyway, I digress. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkin'Butterfly)
    Men have more of the traits needed to be a successful banker
    What?! This is ridiculous! Do you realise that this is precisely the kind of sexist attitude women have been fighting to overcome for decades? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    What?! This is ridiculous! Do you realise that this is precisely the kind of sexist attitude women have been fighting to overcome for decades? :mad:
    But it could be true couldn't it? Not saying for sure it is, plus the banking system would favour traits more commonly found in men since the whole thing has been run by mostly men for as long as it's existed. But generally isn't it obvious that there are some things men tend to be better at than women and vice versa? Of course that doesn't mean women can't be good at those things, just that the average man is better than the average woman.

Anyway, it's hardly surprising that women would make better psychotherapists. I think most people, both men and women, would prefer to talk to a woman about sensitive matters. Also I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years time there are more female doctors than male. It's certainly fairly common for there to be more women doing medicine at uni than men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    But it could be true couldn't it? Not saying for sure it is, plus the banking system would favour traits more commonly found in men since the whole thing has been run by mostly men for as long as it's existed. But generally isn't it obvious that there are some things men tend to be better at than women and vice versa? Of course that doesn't mean women can't be good at those things, just that the average man is better than the average woman.

Anyway, it's hardly surprising that women would make better psychotherapists. I think most people, both men and women, would prefer to talk to a woman about sensitive matters. Also I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years time there are more female doctors than male. It's certainly fairly common for there to be more women doing medicine at uni than men.
    * Which shows that women have not been able to excel in the banking sector because they have not been allowed to become bankers etc. Not because they are inherently inferior.

* Like what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Why get so annoyed at that statement yet not at all the other ones that generalise women?

ReputationRep:
    Psychology at University is quite female dominated...
    There are several reasons for this, maybe because women are (generally) not as willing to take hardcore science so they take psychology, women are very interested in people's minds where men are more interested in matter...you know. A lot of reasons that could possibly be considered sexist yet tend to ring quite true.

Also women are quite often found in healthcare professions (other than doctors, which is afaik fairly equal men:women? might be wrong)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    Why get so annoyed at that statement yet not at all the other ones that generalise women?
    They annoy me too ...but I can't argue with everyone. :emo:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.