Turn on thread page Beta

Girls lifting weights watch

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that doing low weight high reps wont help at all and that it's better to lift heavy weight low reps. I'm just wondering how heavy they should be, and how many reps? For example should you do it so that you're struggling after a certain number of reps?

Also, I know that low weight high reps are meant to be useless, but surely something like swimming is similar to doing that? Don't women develop muscles at all by swimming regularly?

ReputationRep:
    not sure about your main question, but swimming works practically your whole body, and works cardio a lot too, whilst weights work mainly the target muscles of whatever exercise you're doing, so you can't really compare the two. Not sure if that made much sense, it did in my head

ReputationRep:
    Swimming is like an isometric/resistance training.

Just aim for 8-12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennifer_l85)
    I've heard that doing low weight high reps wont help at all and that it's better to lift heavy weight low reps. I'm just wondering how heavy they should be, and how many reps? For example should you do it so that you're struggling after a certain number of reps?

Also, I know that low weight high reps are meant to be useless, but surely something like swimming is similar to doing that? Don't women develop muscles at all by swimming regularly?
    Swimming won't develop any sort of appreciable muscle. Don't waste your time.

Ideally for beginners you want to stay in the 5-6 reps region, and repeat this for 3 sets. As you aren't familiar with the movement you might be prone to losing concentration halfway through. Also that repetition range is a nice balance between strength and other gains.

So this would be a weight heavy enough to lift 6 times but no more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    Swimming is like an isometric/resistance training.

Just aim for 8-12.
    Err why would she be training in hypertrophy rep ranges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiveItToMeBaby)
    Err why would she be training in hypertrophy rep ranges?
    For the exact reason she stated, any more for 'toning' would be pointless.

Id have thought any less and the weight would be too intense.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Guys, no such thing as hypertrophy and strength rep ranges, you can gain strength with sets of 10 and mass with sets of 3-5.

Also, girls tend to be less neurologically efficient than men so they can lift more reps at higher intensities than men. This is something else to take into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Guys, no such thing as hypertrophy and strength rep ranges, you can gain strength with sets of 10 and mass with sets of 3-5.

Also, girls tend to be less neurologically efficient than men so they can lift more reps at higher intensities than men. This is something else to take into consideration.
    Obviously both rep ranges will result in hypertrophy and strength gains, but certain rep ranges are dominant in one aspect. As in, you won't see an Oly lifter training in the 12-15 rep range. Also, women gain strength at the same rate as men upto a point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)

so 10 reps for strength
    and 3-5 for mass/size/aesthetics??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeOxLong)
    so 10 reps for strength
    and 2-5 for mass/size/aesthetics??
    NO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    NO!
    other way round??

i was just saying what smack said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)

At last someone who shares my view. I've gained mass without going above 5 reps for periods of up to 3 months. And I've got friends who've got stronger without ever going below 10 reps. And both those examples aren't in the n00b gains period, I'm past those very beginning noob gains phase and so in my friend, although I think certain rep ranges are better for size and strength, you can gain either using either, to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    other way round??

i was just saying what smack said
    You were just completely misunderstanding what Smack said.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GiveItToMeBaby)
    Obviously both rep ranges will result in hypertrophy and strength gains, but certain rep ranges are dominant in one aspect. As in, you won't see an Oly lifter training in the 12-15 rep range. Also, women gain strength at the same rate as men upto a point.
    Yes. It's just that so many people seem to think that if you go below 6 reps you'll only build strength and above 7 and you'll only build mass, that I though I'd point out that there are no absolutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    You were just completely misunderstanding what Smack said.

so what is the answer???

ReputationRep:
    so what is the answer???
    The answer, dumbass, is in the post you quoted. In the first sentence, the bit you obviously thought was unworthy of your attention.

Guys, no such thing as hypertrophy and strength rep ranges

ReputationRep:
    then why did he then go to say......

you can gain strength with sets of 10 and mass with sets of 3-5.

F***wit
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

F***wit
    Because you can.

ReputationRep:

F***wit
    To counter supposed misconceptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Because you can.
    Amazing.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.