Turn on thread page Beta

Girls lifting weights watch

ReputationRep:
    It's more convenient to call them strength and hypertrophy rep ranges for these exact same reasons.

ReputationRep:
    So which is which as both are being called both....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeOxLong)
    So which is which as both are being called both....?
    1-5 - Predominantly strength
    8-12 and onwards - Predominantly hypertrophy (+ promotes vascularity)

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask when you say 6 reps with 3 sets, what does that mean? Lift it 6 times then rest then 6 more then rest then 6 more and finish?

Just clarifying :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiveItToMeBaby)
    1-5 - Predominantly strength
    8-12 and onwards - Predominantly hypertrophy (+ promotes vascularity)

Finally, a straight answer

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Can I just ask when you say 6 reps with 3 sets, what does that mean? Lift it 6 times then rest then 6 more then rest then 6 more and finish?

Just clarifying :o:
    Yep, exactly that.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, exactly that.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just to add something that some people may be confused about:

Swimming is a form of exercise. Fast swimmers have decent muscles and are probably reasonably strong. They didn't get that size from swimming. First of all, they had good genes but there's nothing you can do about that.

To get that size, and that strong and that fast; they went on a good strength/weight program. It's the same with all speed and power sports; cycling, sprinting, rowing, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Just to add something that some people may be confused about:

Swimming is a form of exercise. Fast swimmers have decent muscles and are probably reasonably strong. They didn't get that size from swimming. First of all, they had good genes but there's nothing you can do about that.

To get that size, and that strong and that fast; they went on a good strength/weight program. It's the same with all speed and power sports; cycling, sprinting, rowing, etc.
    Really? So is swimming just good as cardio? When I was younger, I used to swim a few times a week and I had a very 'toned' look, and it was the only exercise I did. Does it build some muscle, just not as much as weight training can?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennifer_l85)
    Really? So is swimming just good as cardio? When I was younger, I used to swim a few times a week and I had a very 'toned' look, and it was the only exercise I did. Does it build some muscle, just not as much as weight training can?
    [IMG]http://www.thecoast.ca/imager/*****_please_/b/original/1078109/4040/*****_20please_gif-magnum.jpg[/IMG]

It's physical activity so you will burn calories. It also uses muscles so you should be able to maintain muscle.

I wasn't really commenting on the OP or anyone's goals here; just clarifying some confusion some people have. Obviously not yours though.

ReputationRep:
    Someone swimming at a decent level for a few years will carry more muscle than your average Joe, without any weights work.

ReputationRep:
    Swimming won't develop any sort of appreciable muscle. Don't waste your time.

Ideally for beginners you want to stay in the 5-6 reps region, and repeat this for 3 sets. As you aren't familiar with the movement you might be prone to losing concentration halfway through. Also that repetition range is a nice balance between strength and other gains.

So this would be a weight heavy enough to lift 6 times but no more.
    Should the last rep from the first set be the last one you can do (before you rest), or the last rep from the final set? How long should you rest between sets?

If you can still manage to do more after your 3 sets, does that mean the weights are too light for you and are useless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennifer_l85)
    Should the last rep from the first set be the last one you can do (before you rest), or the last rep from the final set? How long should you rest between sets?
    The last rep from each set should be the very last one you can do in that set. Rest depends on the person but I normally take a minuet or so between sets.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.