Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this ok for a job interview/assessment? (pics) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

Im going to a job 'assessment' day next week. I'll be one of probably 30 other candidates all being assessed for a job, by working in teams etc, you know what I mean.

Just wondering whether you think this is ok to wear, or not smart enough? We;re told to dress how we would for "any professional interview" and I know that normally means a suit.. I have trousers but not a jacket and can't afford one at the moment which sucks

Would I stand out as really scruffy next to people who are wearing full suits do you think? Be honest as hell.. if it's really that bad I'm gonna try scrounge together as much as poss to buy a suitable jacket. I used to think this outfit was 'smart' until I compared it to more suity type outfits and think I may look a bit of a scruff

If you DO happen to think it's okay... the second pic is, buttons open or closed?

ReputationRep:
    It looks fine.
    The jumper does look a little small though, rather than looking like its supposed to be like that

ReputationRep:
    Looks fine to me although I think it looks better with the buttons done up.

ReputationRep:
    If Alan Sugar saw that he'd say 'your hired'

ReputationRep:
    Buttons done up.

ReputationRep:
    ^yes looks nice,
    makes you look smart an professional *
    yeh and i agree with adeline up there looks alot better with buttons done up =DD
    good luck -

ReputationRep:
    It's nice, but do a couple more buttons up.

ReputationRep:
    If you had a slightly bigger cardigan and did a few more buttons up it might be better, but the look is quite professional :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    If you had a slightly bigger cardigan and did a few more buttons up it might be better, but the look is quite professional :yep:
    THIS and buttons done up

And yeah, if your interviewer is a fat greasy sex pest, bullseye!

ReputationRep:
    I see I'm in the minority here, but I actually think the cardigan over the shirt is too casual if they have stipulated a professional standard of dress. The shirt and pants are fine (the pants look great actually), but the shirt hanging out from underneath the cardigan looks a bit scruffy. I really do think a black jacket would look a lot better with this outfit. Since you have plain black pants it shouldn't be hard to find a cheap jacket that will look as if it matches - perhaps try some second hand stores or clearance stores (or else ask around and see if you can borrow one?).

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    oh man I love that look.

ReputationRep:
    Do up the buttons and it will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    A longer cardigan and your shirt tucked in and fully buttoned up, then it would be smart enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Adeline-)
    Looks fine to me although I think it looks better with the buttons done up.
    :ditto:

Looks smart

ReputationRep:
    Personally dislike the flared bottom of legs - doesn't look professional in my opinion. It's great apart from that

ReputationRep:
    From a style point of view I think that you should scrap the cardigan altogether if you are planning on doing it up. Just doesn't work for me.

Like the shirt though

ReputationRep:
    Hired!

ReputationRep:
    I think you need a longer cardigan, the shirt hanging out the bottom does look odd. Also you might want to do up another couple of buttons on the shirt so that your vest isn't visible.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by star_violet)
    I see I'm in the minority here, but I actually think the cardigan over the shirt is too casual if they have stipulated a professional standard of dress. The shirt and pants are fine (the pants look great actually), but the shirt hanging out from underneath the cardigan looks a bit scruffy. I really do think a black jacket would look a lot better with this outfit. Since you have plain black pants it shouldn't be hard to find a cheap jacket that will look as if it matches - perhaps try some second hand stores or clearance stores (or else ask around and see if you can borrow one?).

Good luck
    :ditto:

The cardigan is not appropriate. You either need a longer cardigan, or a proper jacket.

ReputationRep:
    Tuck the shirt in / show some cleavage maybe?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.