Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is this a scam? urgent ebay question watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, ive put something up on the auction to sell. I have not included a buy it now price and i have a large amount of interested buyers contacting me to buy it now.

Some ask me to take it off ebay and they'll send me the money to my paypal email. They say that it will help me avoid ebay fees.

Is this a scam or something? would anyone recommend this way?

thnx

Might be a scam or might not... hard to say ... but if you have a large amount of prospective buyers then auction would seem to be the best way to proceed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Might be a scam or might not... hard to say ... but if you have a large amount of prospective buyers then auction would seem to be the best way to proceed.
    Thanks for your reply

can they reverse the money they send with paypal to my email address? because i was thinking if they send the payment, i would then take it out of my account to prevent them from potentially scamming me?

ReputationRep:
    You will lose any protection that ebay offers you if you do this. There is a reason Ebay display messages everywhere saying do not remove something from the site if a buyer asks you too. Also, if you do not know how Paypal's dispute policies regulate I would advise you to read up on them ASAP, if you don't have sufficient proof you sent the buyer the item (this could be recorded delivery for example) then the buyer could wait for the item to arrive and quite happily open up a dispute with Paypal claiming the goods were not sent and in 99.9% of these cases they side with the buyer, Paypal is a disgustingly biased company and offers very little safety for sellers if at all.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's not worth the risk, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell them that they can feel free to paypal you the money, but you want to keep it up. If they do it, then fine. If they don't, then they're obviously not the right buyer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan70)
    You will lose any protection that ebay offers you if you do this. There is a reason Ebay display messages everywhere saying do not remove something from the site if a buyer asks you too. Also, if you do not know how Paypal's dispute policies regulate I would advise you to read up on them ASAP, if you don't have sufficient proof you sent the buyer the item (this could be recorded delivery for example) then the buyer could wait for the item to arrive and quite happily open up a dispute with Paypal claiming the goods were not sent and in 99.9% of these cases they side with the buyer, Paypal is a disgustingly biased company and offers very little safety for sellers if at all.
    thanks, is there any other way to get the buyer to sign for the item they recieved instead of recorded delivery in the UK? ive heard that i can request postal insurance on another service such as standard parcels(which is cheaper than first class recorded) and the buyer will also have to sign for it.

thnx

ReputationRep:
    Look at the feedback of the person.
    I sometimes ask if the seller would add a buy it now, and often suggest I send money outside of Paypal to save them fees. But yes, there's no protection for you that way, so I'd let it carry on as an auction

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I wouldn't risk it. What would the buyer have to gain? If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

ReputationRep:
    What're you selling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    Basically, ive put something up on the auction to sell. I have not included a buy it now price and i have a large amount of interested buyers contacting me to buy it now.

Some ask me to take it off ebay and they'll send me the money to my paypal email. They say that it will help me avoid ebay fees.

Is this a scam or something? would anyone recommend this way?

thnx
    Why would they care about fees? It's you paying them not the other way round.

Whatever you do, make sure to not post anything before you have started the process in depositing the money into your bank account. This way, they can't do the trick were they dispute the transaction and try to stop it going through.

ReputationRep:
    Just play by the rules.
    If something goes wrong you'll have no-one to turn to.

ReputationRep:
    a quick question not related to the opening question,

how do i state that i want payment through instant bank transfer.

ebay only shows:

postal order
    personal cheques
    other/see item description
    credit cards.

thnx, ive heard that there is better seller protection than ebay.

Im selling a console btw, to the poster who asked

ReputationRep:
    Paypal is an instant bank transfer, is it not?

OP, tell them you'll put a buy it now on for them and they can do it that way. Never ever agree to sell something away from ebay. You are protected on ebay should they balls it up. If they scam you after you took it off ebay, then you'll have no legal footing at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be suspicious, they could have an another motive. Or it could maybe the case that they are asking you to do this because it might ensure they win the item and get it for cheaper then if they were to keep bidding and bidding then the price would go up. I'd think twice about doing it though.

ReputationRep:
    offer them a buy it now on ebay. it may be genuine, but it could be a scam- what's their feedback like? are they verified paypal? the only way i can think for you to not get scammed (ie, them filing a claim for an item not received and the money being taken out of your paypal AND bank account) is if they send you the money as a "Gift" but most people would be reluctant as it offers them no security.
    er, so basically, go through paypal
    the fees are much lower on high price items if you let the auction run as opposed to a buyt it now. i'd have saved nearly 20 quid in fees on something i sold today if i'd left it in auction (and probably got moremoney..) but i'm impatient and wanted the money :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watermelon sugar)
    offer them a buy it now on ebay. it may be genuine, but it could be a scam- what's their feedback like? are they verified paypal? the only way i can think for you to not get scammed (ie, them filing a claim for an item not received and the money being taken out of your paypal AND bank account) is if they send you the money as a "Gift" but most people would be reluctant as it offers them no security.
    er, so basically, go through paypal
    the fees are much lower on high price items if you let the auction run as opposed to a buyt it now. i'd have saved nearly 20 quid in fees on something i sold today if i'd left it in auction (and probably got moremoney..) but i'm impatient and wanted the money :p:
    ok, so ive potentially got a sale here with a buyer who wants to pay by bank transfer and wants to also pay for arrange for a courier himself. feedback is 100% with 300 feedbacks

whats does pay for and arrange courier himself mean? does it mean he'll come and collect it or something?

ReputationRep:
    ok, so ive potentially got a sale here with a buyer who wants to pay by bank transfer and wants to also pay for arrange for a courier himself. feedback is 100% with 300 feedbacks

whats does pay for and arrange courier himself mean? does it mean he'll come and collect it or something?
    Why are you asking us. It's the bidder your want to be asking these questions to. That's the whole point of 'ask seller/bidder a question' - so that you can communicate with each other!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Why are you asking us. It's the bidder your want to be asking these questions to. That's the whole point of 'ask seller/bidder a question' - so that you can communicate with each other!!
    Im just worried that it might be a big scam after hearing so many stories about ebay scams, sellers or bidders dont always tell the truth. so i'd just like to know from experience buyers or sellers which may be here in this forum

ReputationRep:
    Im just worried that it might be a big scam after hearing so many stories about ebay scams, sellers or bidders dont always tell the truth. so i'd just like to know from experience buyers or sellers which may be here in this forum
    But you need to ask the buyer what he means - how should we know what he's planning to do? ASK THE BUYER!!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.