Turn on thread page Beta

religious puzzle... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    if god is omnipotent (all powerful) caould he make a box that was too heavy for him to pick up?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    if god is omnipotent (all powerful) caould he make a box that was too heavy for him to pick up?

lou xxx
    IF there was a god then I dont see why not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    IF there was a god then I dont see why not.
    but if he's all powerful (which the God of classical theism is meant to be) then he'd be able to make something really heavy *he has power to do anything, but he also how the power to pick it up.... so is it possible?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Of course he could - he's God, he can do anything.

ReputationRep:
    If he is omnipotent, he should be able to do anything, like make a box even he couldn't pick up but that is contradictory if he can't pick it up, thus he can't be omnipotent.

ReputationRep:
    If god is all powerful, then no box made could be too heavy.

Any limit in terms of mass set, would be exceeded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    If god is all powerful, then no box made could be too heavy.

Any limit in terms of mass set, would be exceeded.
    but god has the power to make a box he can't pick up

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    No He couldn't. He couldn't defy general rules of logic. He couldn't make 2=4. God would do everything that is absolutely possible....

ReputationRep:
    God can do both. He acts in ways humans can not possibly comprehend.

ReputationRep:
    but god has the power to make a box he can't pick up

lou xxx
    You've missed my point.

If there is a box created that god can't pick up, he is no longer omnipotent. Remeber, he should be able to pick up anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    God can do both. He acts in ways humans can not possibly comprehend.
    If God can do things we can't comprehend then why did we "invent him" in order to understand the world (which presumeably we can't understand if god is incomprehendable)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    You've missed my point.

If there is a box created that god can't pick up, he is no longer omnipotent. Remeber, he should be able to pick up anything.
    thank you alec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king of swords)
    If God can do things we can't comprehend then why did we "invent him" in order to understand the world (which presumeably we can't understand if god is incomprehendable)?
    We're not talking about whether or not God exists - on this thread we all use the assumption that he is, in fact, still knocking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    You've missed my point.

lol, i'm not missing your point... (this was my point for starting the thread). i was just curious if anyone could expalin it in anyway without coming to the conclusion that god is not omnipotent.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    lol, i'm not missing your point... (this was my point for starting the thread). i was just curious if anyone could expalin it in anyway without coming to the conclusion that god is not omnipotent.

lou xxx
    I thought from your response you were disagreeing with me.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:

lou xxx
    Well the person who does that is far more intelligent than me.

ReputationRep:

lou xxx
    Now, where have I read that before...Oh, yeah, the kid asked his father whether god can create something he can't pick up. Then his dad accused him for not understanding what the word "possible" means... em... a very interesting reply from the dad.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I'll have someone call me a idiot or such... but neverthless lou, here is an explaination of the 'paradox of the stone' which is something I wrote a short essay on a while back.

We can assume that God is either omnipotent or he is not omnipotent,

Let us assume that God is not omnipotent, then obviously he cannot create a stone he cannot lift. This is what people earlier have been saying, which i fully agree with

However, let us now assume that god is omnipotent so the statement goes;

Can God create a stone which he cannot lift?

Well, that statement is logically impossible or self-contridictary and therefore is a stupid examples, because saying that says;

a stone that God (whoses power of omnipotence means he can lift anything) that God cannot lift.

That is a self-contridication and you must be mad (or descarte) to believe that God can do the logically impossible (i.e square circles)

No, this argument is not flawless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    I'm sure I'll have someone call me a idiot or such... but neverthless lou, here is an explaination of the 'paradox of the stone' which is something I wrote a short essay on a while back.

Let us assume that God is not omnipotent, then obviously he cannot create a stone he cannot lift. This is what people earlier have been saying, which i fully agree with

Well, that statement is logically impossible or self-contridictary and therefore is a stupid examples, because saying that says;

a stone that God (whoses power of omnipotence means he can lift anything) that God cannot lift.

That is a self-contridication and you must be mad (or descarte) to believe that God can do the logically impossible (i.e square circles)

My point exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)

Yes, we all understand the ramifications of the question itself - we're not stupid. It's the answer we're trying to work out.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.