Turn on thread page Beta

religious puzzle... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    How I wish I studied maths...

Oh well, back to the problem of God, take a look at this argument (Russel beleived this, at least for a while).

1. God is that of which none greater can be conceived (definition of God).
    2. God exists as an idea in the mind.
    3. For any x and for any y, if x is only in the mind and y is in reality, then y is greater than x.
    4. If God exists only as an idea in the mind, then we can imagine something greater than God, perhaps something just like Him except that it is thought to exist in reality.
    5. We cannot imagine something greater than God.
    6. Hence, God exists in reality.
    I don't think Russell ever believed in the Ontological Argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    You have lots of friends, don't you?
    Hey I'm not the one trying to figure out if God can lift a rock or not

Just giving my side of the story!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I don't think Russell ever believed in the Ontological Argument.
    Yes he did and he wrote about it in his autobiography (it's a good read, try it sometime). He belived it until he was 18 and then he became an atheist, until his fourth year at Cambridge when he came to the conclusion that the ontological argument was indeed sound. But later in life he realised he was mistaken and converted back to atheism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Yes he did and he wrote about it in his autobiography (it's a good read, try it sometime). He belived it until he was 18 and then he became an atheist, until his fourth year at Cambridge when he came to the conclusion that the ontological argument was indeed sound. But later in life he realised he was mistaken and converted back to atheism.
    Hmmmm! That's interesting. He said he's an agnostic from what I've read though!! Nevermind I'll read up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king of swords)
    If God can do things we can't comprehend then why did we "invent him" in order to understand the world (which presumeably we can't understand if god is incomprehendable)?
    Humans don't hav the capacity to understand how the world began so things like religions are invented that are neither true nor false, are right but wrong and infinate yet right before us............it gives us a hope and a reasopn to live...it may not be a real reason but who cares if it makes people happy?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.