Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I was told it was very commonplace to ******** on your resume,
    and I wish I hadn't done it, but I was totally desperate, and my friend said everyone does it.

I have basically written that I have previous experience in retail (working on the shop floor) when I haven't.

How do I cover my tracks if anyone asks???

I need to know how to work the tills, know what the chain of command, etc. is. Any info about stuff you need to know as a sales consultant will help, please

do they follow up on references? does everyone really fake stuf on their resume?

heeeelp!
    thanks
    x

ReputationRep:
    A lot of places follow up on references and it'll look a bit dodgy if you don't have your previous employer as a reference, they'll think you were rubbish there or left for a bad reason.

Working the tills is different in every shop and so is the chain of command, each store has different names for their managers and even for the shop workers.

Basically unless you're amazingly quick witted to think of a comeback to everything they ask then you're screwed. I don't want to appear sanctimonious but I think it's a massive mistake.

ReputationRep:
    need more opinions, people.
    has anyone done this sort of thing before? what happened to them?
    X

ReputationRep:
    I like how you ignore mine because it's not what you wanted to hear!
    I've had jobs in quite a few shops in different positions and they've always asked for references from jobs I've had on my cv.

Where have you actually got the interview for?

(Original post by missfierce)
    and I wish I hadn't done it, but I was totally desperate, and my friend said everyone does it.

I have basically written that I have previous experience in retail (working on the shop floor) when I haven't.

I need to know how to work the tills, know what the chain of command, etc. is. Any info about stuff you need to know as a sales consultant will help, please

do they follow up on references? does everyone really fake stuf on their resume?

heeeelp!
    thanks
    x
    Hi.

First things first, you've realised you made a BAD mistake. It's not the end of the world, but depending on where you have applied, it could come to bite you on the ass!

Some companies (mainly larger ones) have a 'scripted interview', where each candidate is interviewed the same. Sainsbury's is no longer an informal chat etc, it's now watching a DVD. You don't even talk about previous experience etc. The interviewer only has basic details on you (name etc).

However, it's not common for the interviewer to casually bring up previous experience etc. For you, that is going to be hard - as there is noway of knowing for sure if the interview knows about your supposed previous experience etc.

To answer your other questions, different stores have different tills/software. But the general idea is you scan, total and then exchange money etc.

Sales Consultants are just 'Sales Assistants', you will need to come across as a 'bubly' sort of person. Who is willing to do anything for anyone, and is willing to help people etc. You'll need to portray that in your attitude and approach.

Most places DO follow up references. If not straight away, they will do at some point. Therefore it's not good to make them up

Good Luck, and I can only hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    There's ************ and then there's ************ though OP...

Pretending to have worked somewhere you haven't is a bit too much of a lie to pull off convincingly IMO. And even if you fool them at interview, what if you get the job and they expect you to have all this experience that you don't? Erm...good luck!

ReputationRep:
    lots of people ******** by saying they have certain skills etc - but noone ever ********* about previous jobs - thats jsut retarded

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't have done it.

ReputationRep:
    Your friend, like you, is an idiot. Yes, people lie on their CVs, but the vast majority of them are found out. What company have you supposedly worked for?

That's going to be quite difficult to do. I don't know about the rest of the country, but retail in Aberdeen is a fairly small world. I recently went to an interview with Somerfield and the manager interviewing knew my current store manager. The companies aren't even related, but if your interviewer has been in retail for a while, chances are they'll have a contact in your "********" company. All it'll take is a quick phone call to ask, "I believe x worked with you for a while, what was she like?" and that'll be your cover blown.

As others have said, this is different in every company, but if you've actually never worked in retail, I think you might struggle to answer questions such as "tell me about a time when you've dealt with a difficult customer".

do they follow up on references?
    Yes, any manager worth their wages will follow up on references. Employers can't take on the risk of taking on someone with poor timekeeping, poor performance or disciplinary issues.

does everyone really fake stuf on their resume?
    Faking? I find that highly unlikely. Extending on the truth (such as increasing length of service, etc) is much more commonplace, IMO. However, at the end of the day, adding a couple of months onto the time spent in a company isn't going to do anyone any harm. At least they've actually done the job!!

ReputationRep:
    Lying on your CV is done quite commonly in terms of maybe faking a GCSE result, or calling yourself 'dedicated and enthusiastic', etc, when you're not. I think you've taken the lying a bit far.

ReputationRep:
    Lying on a C.V. (Which you shouldn't do anyway) is usually making a hobby up or describing yourself with a trait you don't have. They are little white lies that you can easily remember and back up!

What you did was plain stupid and I don't have any sympathy, sadly. Honesty is the best policy and I think you should face this one out as a lesson!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't lie once and I still got an interview at Harrod's and I'm only 16. Honesty is the best policy.

ReputationRep:

heeeelp!
    thanks
    x
    If you have the time you could volunteer to work at a charity store, that would teach you to use the till and give you a response to 'difficult customer' type questions.

ReputationRep:
    basiclly you are screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanM)
    if your interviewer has been in retail for a while, chances are they'll have a contact in your "********" company. All it'll take is a quick phone call to ask, "I believe x worked with you for a while, what was she like?" and that'll be your cover blown.
    Also you'll need a contact name for your reference so as soon as you put down Bob Smith, Manager with the address and telephone number of the company you 'worked' for that's screwed it up if they either KNOW that Bob Smith isn't the name of the manager or they make one phonecall.

ReputationRep:
    it's one thing to lie about your skills, but it's entirely something else to lie about work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people exaggerate on their CV and in their application, but it's a really bad idea to lie about having experience somewhere when you haven't. I think you might have to accept that probably won't get the job, even if you do b/s your way through the interview. Also, a lot of employers are hot on references, so not having one isn't a good sign.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I think you get the jist - you are TOTALLY, completely and utterly boned.

Expect to see you in the "Looking for summer jobs with no success" thread (or words to those effect), very shortly unless someone up there is really watching over you at your interview!!

I can't offer any further advice... I don't have much sympathy to offer either. :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.