Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    From a little reading around I gather that many teachers feel they are chronically underpaid. I can see why!
    How much should they be paid, in a (more) ideal world?
    If you could set all the pay rates (realistically), how different would it be?

ReputationRep:
    You know there's some place in Australia which has the highest paid teachers in the world - I think they're earning something like 125k, I'm guna search for the facts in a sec. It's 'cos they only have one union!

Personally I think the starting salary should be 30k, there should be higher standards too.

edit: I can't find it, thought I did find that West Bengali teachers are highly paid too!

ReputationRep:
    I think it should vary with experience. Teaching, in my eyes, is one of the most important professions, and I believe that teachers should get a higher starting salary than they do at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    i honestly think they are being paid a perfectly acceptable amount, similar to any other starting salary. They get pay rises if they work for promotions or awards. 30K starting salary is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I would peg it to comparable professionals so - 22K starting in line with doctors or ~25K with Dentists, add a bit for unsocial hours, reduce a bit for long holidays, reduce a bit for golden handshakes and training bursaries and they're around where they are now at 21K.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to my R.E teacher a few months back, and she said she gets 27k, but with the hours she works, it equates to about £100 a lesson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I would peg it to comparable professionals so - 22K starting in line with doctors or ~25K with Dentists, add a bit for unsocial hours, reduce a bit for long holidays, reduce a bit for golden handshakes and training bursaries and they're around where they are now at 21K.
    Oh my gosh! I didn't realise that those jobs had those starting salaries. In my opinion a teacher shouldn't get more than a doctor so I guess I should retract my 30k initial thought. Doctors should get more than dentisits though!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm one of the few who thinks the pay is OK. Perhaps the starting salary could be a bit higher but it goes up quickly on a guaranteed scale for the first 6 years. After that, all you need to do is meet your performance management targets (which you effectively set!) and you move through threshold and progress along the upper pay scale.

This is without considering the additional pay that can be earned through taking on a Teaching and Learning Responsibility, attaining Advanced Skills Teacher or Excellent Teacher status, moving into the Leadership Group etc.

Also, when discussing the pay, no-one takes seems to take account of the traditional final salary pension scheme (watered down for new joiners admittedly) which would cost a fortune to replace in the private sector.

ReputationRep:
    id love to be a teacher & get all those holidays between term time... :O

ReputationRep:
    If teachers got paid more, then more people would want to be teachers. This would allow higher employment standards and better edumacation. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with a poster above... salary should start at £30.000, but also teaching standards should increase. Or teachers with great teaching skill should be given a better wage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Key)
    If teachers got paid more, then more people would want to be teachers. This would allow higher employment standards and better edumacation. Simples.
    I think you're wrong, the pay is already quite good when you take into account benefits and bursaries. What's putting more people off, IMO, are the conditions which will need dramatic improvement before more people want to become teachers.

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be higher, while they do get longer holidays than most places their work isnt restricted to the classroom. They put alot into lesson plans and marking homework/exams etc. Plus they have to deal with alot of snot nosed, arrogant teenagers! I wouldnt want to do it for the money I earn now, which is considerably more than your average teacher earns..

ReputationRep:
    i think the way teachers are paid and the structure of the teaching proffesion needs a serious overhaul.

The thing is when a teacher is a good teacher he/she rightly gets promotions and better jobs etc - but these inevitably mean more time managing other people and less actual teaching time - this leaves wither NQTs and poor teachers left in the classroom (im not saying NQTs are bad but they have only just started so inevitably the good ones will end up be promoted etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I think you're wrong, the pay is already quite good when you take into account benefits and bursaries. What's putting more people off, IMO, are the conditions which will need dramatic improvement before more people want to become teachers.
    No, I'm definitely right.

ReputationRep:
    It should vary to what the teacher is capable of teaching along with experience in the field.

Though they should be paid quite a bid, as they are the educational foreground of the next generation to which decides the future, which is pretty damned important.

They also have to deal with younger and ignorant people. My college teacher told me (In an in-formal chat), that she would rather teach adults, as they seem to be more willing to want to learn. But I guess it also depends on the type college/school that a teacher is at to define what experience is required and educational capability, to then define the pay for the amount of effort to which is required to reciprocate an amount of work needed to be done.

But I think teachers are paid the right amount, at the moment in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    why?

ReputationRep:
    IMO they should earn more but the amount they earn should reflect their teaching standard. However, how would you mark their ability to teach? Would you look at grades and if so, teachers at worse schools could therefore miss out. It's a tough cookie. Most teachers are glorified baby sitters and I beleive that's what puts people of becoming teachers, yet with an increase in the salary, more people will maybe want to become one.

Also better teachers should get promoted, but promotions tend to go to the experienced who may not be the best teachers (in my experience at least, there seems to be a ranking order in my school).

ReputationRep:
    I think teachers do an important job but i do not feel they are that underpaid. I personally don't see teaching as a very hard job compared to other proffesions which earn more. I feel we are confusing importance of a job with how much work it entails. Nurses however i feel are underpaid.

Edit: There could be some sort of bonus structure put in place though so that teachers who do a good job earn a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    I cant see anything wrong with the current beginning salary... it's quite good for a starting salary!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.