Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    why?
    Why tag them to doctors and dentists? Because I think those professions, also in the public sector, are the closest I can think of in terms of training, professional standards and responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomTeeTom)
    Edit: There could be some sort of bonus structure put in place though so that teachers who do a good job earn a bit more.
    Don't they already have performance related pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savahl)
    I think it should be higher, while they do get longer holidays than most places their work isnt restricted to the classroom. They put alot into lesson plans and marking homework/exams etc.
    Not many jobs are 9 to 5 anymore, I compared it to medicine for just that reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Why tag them to doctors and dentists? Because I think those professions, also in the public sector, are the closest I can think of in terms of training, professional standards and responsibility.
    no I mean why are dentists starting salaries more than doctors, surely they should be equal when starting?

Teachers should be paid way more than now because the best of my knowledge indicates that they are only paid for teaching there not paid for the crap they have to put up with from disruptive students and having to bite there tongue when they are insulted and know they can't do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    As much as they can carry in monopoly money.

OR I'd say roughly 40+ for the lulz.

ReputationRep:
    no I mean why are dentists starting salaries more than doctors, surely they should be equal when starting?
    I'm not entirely sure, I suspect it's because doctors got free accommodation as part of their 'package', but then the DH removed the accom and cut the pay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Teachers should be paid way more than now because the best of my knowledge indicates that they are only paid for teaching there not paid for the crap they have to put up with from disruptive students and having to bite there tongue when they are insulted and know they can't do anything about it.
    TBH you go into teaching knowing that you will have to put up with this. it's not as if it's a big surprise once you get into it.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: There could be some sort of bonus structure put in place though so that teachers who do a good job earn a bit more.
    They do, it's called Value Added.

TBH you go into teaching knowing that you will have to put up with this. it's not as if it's a big surprise once you get into it.
    All depends where you teach and at what level. Some teachers in the really troubled schools I have no idea how they haven't commited mass murder.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers should get performance based pay, like many other industries, such as a 10k bonus if they get so many passes. This would help as it would improve teaching, as many teachers at the moment are frankly ****, and it turns into an easy job for them.

ReputationRep:
    Salary should not be a necessary motivation in order to obtain good work.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I believe that there should be a reward/benefit scheme put in place whereby students and indeed faculty can deem the very best teachers with some financial rewards. Thus increasing teacher drive and student grades. P.s. The marketisation of the education system would also work wonders in my belief...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    All depends where you teach and at what level. Some teachers in the really troubled schools I have no idea how they haven't commited mass murder.
    Just attempted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byllie)
    Teachers should get performance based pay,
    RTFT, they are.

Fortunately, it's based on improvement rather than 'so many passes'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I'm not entirely sure, I suspect it's because doctors got free accommodation as part of their 'package', but then the DH removed the accom and cut the pay...
    Thats incredibly strange, and I can see why there is the constant one-upmanship between you guys and dentists
    why isnt the GMC livid?

ReputationRep:
    I am looking at becoming a Maths Teacher in the future, I plan on doing a couple years industry work (IT related) and then moving onto a career in teaching. I believe the starting salary is reasonable but with it capped at around £35k (inner london) a year for highly experienced teachers who do not take on extra responsibilities e.g. Head of years then I honestly do believe it is under paid.

I agree with the starting salary of around £21k, but after 5 years of teaching experience teachers (especially maths) should easily be earning well over £30k a year, preferably closer to £40k!

In other words, GIVE ME MONIES!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamWalsh)
    Personally I believe that there should be a reward/benefit scheme put in place whereby students and indeed faculty can deem the very best teachers with some financial rewards. Thus increasing teacher drive and student grades.
    That only works if students want teachers who'll teach them. If they want teachers who give out sweets and let them go home early on a friday it's actually counter productive.

ReputationRep:
    An experienced teacher should earn around £40,000 - £50,000 with a starting salary of about £26,000.

ReputationRep:
    Thats incredibly strange, and I can see why there is the constant one-upmanship between you guys and dentists
    why isnt the GMC livid?
    Because the GMC works for the government against doctors.

The BMA are our useless union and spend more time on the senior issues, Remedy is a new and growing representative body born out of the farce of MMC, MTAS, EWTD and the loss of accom.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.