Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lɪŋgwɪst)
    From a little reading around I gather that many teachers feel they are chronically underpaid. I can see why!
    How much should they be paid, in a (more) ideal world?
    In an ideal world, they should be paid the amount that anyone is willing to offer for their services. This will be higher or lower depending on a number of factors pertaining to the individual or the situation of his or her employment.

If they think they are underpaid, then they can go elsewhere or attempt to renegotiate the terms of their employment. If that is not successful, then they are not underpaid at all - they are being given exactly what they are entitled to.

If you could set all the pay rates (realistically), how different would it be?
    I wouldn't, unless I was employing them all - in which case, it would be a negotiation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Because the GMC works for the government against doctors.

The BMA are our useless union and spend more time on the senior issues, Remedy is a new and growing representative body born out of the farce of MMC, MTAS, EWTD and the loss of accom.
    :shock: so many unions, what for!?
    and the GMC working for the government (:ninja:) surely that was a joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lɪŋgwɪst)
    From a little reading around I gather that many teachers feel they are chronically underpaid. I can see why!
    How much should they be paid, in a (more) ideal world?
    If you could set all the pay rates (realistically), how different would it be?

As what teachers get paid now on average, you could get the same amount for driving a van around picking up boxes and putting them in storage (my old boss' job, which he did whilst I did all the "important" stuff for him the lazy git).

Definitely pay more. Education is one of the most important economical investments that any government could make, imho.

*ahem* same goes for scrapping tuition fees

ReputationRep:
    For providing somebody with an education, i believe teachers like nurses, armed forces and Police force should be paid far more than they currently earn. Then again we live in a media driven world so these people will never get as much money as footballers or entertainers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    As what teachers get paid now on average, you could get the same amount for driving a van around picking up boxes and putting them in storage (my old boss' job, which he did whilst I did all the "important" stuff for him the lazy git).

Definitely pay more. Education is one of the most important economical investments that any government could make, imho.

*ahem* same goes for scrapping tuition fees
    fantastic post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :shock: so many unions, what for!?
    and the GMC working for the government (:ninja:) surely that was a joke
    No, they're the regulatory authority, we pay them a couple of hundred pounds a year so that they can keep a list of us, investigate us and strike us off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    (Original post by taco23)
    For providing somebody with an education, i believe teachers like nurses, armed forces and Police force should be paid far more
    Who are you going to pay less?

And taco, do you know what the pay is like in the other jobs you mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)

And taco, do you know what the pay is like in the other jobs you mentioned?
    What i'm trying to say is the job nurses etc. do are, in my opinion, a more valuable good than that of an entertainer, but because of wealth disparity wages are unlikely to reflect this.

ReputationRep:
    Come to my school and you will see why they get 19-25k a year, some of them are so lazy and still pretend they work hard. I think its pretty fair, if a teacher does well and works hard they will get a promotion hence more pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I didn't say that any others should be ^^ The money can't just come from nowhere, but hey, that's why I said investment

ReputationRep:
    £120,000 a week.
    Oh, sorry, I thought you said premiership footballer.
    In that case, I think about three hundred times less is fair, surely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    £120,000 a week.
    Oh, sorry, I thought you said premiership footballer.
    In that case, I think about three hundred times less is fair, surely.

£20 800 per annum? And yet some guy playing a game in front of the tv gets nearly 6 times that per week? I think not somehow.

ReputationRep:
    I know teachers always say that they have to plan for lessons/mark stuff/etc outside of school hours so it justifies their extra holidays/they should earn more (generalising here) but many many other jobs require work outside of the normal day and they dont get 10 weeks holiday a year, and the pay is quite good for a senior teacher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Wigan)
    I was talking to my R.E teacher a few months back, and she said she gets 27k, but with the hours she works, it equates to about £100 a lesson.
    But what about lesson planning and marking work?

My Engish teacher (legend!) says he's stays up until 1am marking work and get up at 5am and has to be in college for about 7.30am. Open evenings are the worse because you have to stay at college until 9pm.

But he says it's swings and roundabouts because the work pays off as you don't need to worry about anything over the summer holidays. I know it doesn't apply to all teachers, only the ace ones of course, where they actually know what they are doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    But what about lesson planning and marking work?

My English teacher (legend!) says he's stays up until 1am marking work and get up at 5am and has to be in college for about 7.30am. Open evenings are the worse because you have to stay at college until 9pm.

But he says it's swings and roundabouts because the work pays off as you don't need to worry about anything over the summer holidays. I know it doesn't apply to all teachers, only the ace ones of course, where they actually know what they are doing!

Touché. It's obvious that some teachers blatantly do not deserve higher rates of pay, but same goes for some accountants, lawyers, police officers .... etc.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    They should earn a lot more. My gran's husband's granddaughter and her husband have recently gone to Bahrain to teach and apparently when they come back in 2 years time they will have enough to buy a house outright...

I think the pay should reflect how good the teacher is though. There are some teachers that shouldn't even be allowed to teach they're so ****.

ReputationRep:
    im going to study at uni this yr (hopefully) to become a teacher and i think the ones that are actually doing their jobs should get paid more. i know from experience that some teachers dont seem to give a damn about their students but some like my health and social care teacher actually took time to make us understand the work and make sure that we got better marks.

and the things about hiolidays is that yes u can about 10 wks off in the yr but thats at half term u cant go and pack up and say that u want to go on holiday mid term like with other jobs. it just wudnt work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashley. P)
    id love to be a teacher & get all those holidays between term time... :O
    this

ReputationRep:
    Maths and science teachers should be paid slightly more but work alot harder (more hours,contant rigorous assesment etc) . We urgently require engineers and alike for the future wellbeing of our economy. However, some teachers are massively overpaid. A starting salary of 30k for an art teacher with a generous pension, huge holidays and short working hours is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    An experienced teacher should earn around £40,000 - £50,000 with a starting salary of about £26,000.
    That's what the pay is like for teachers in London, but living costs are higher too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.